The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-13-2014, 01:53 PM

Default 1 3/4 Nut G&L Superhawk Deluxe Jerry Cantrell Tribute!!!

Has anyone tried one of these? The value is incredible. The neck seems just about perfect for an acoustic player with its 1 3/4 nut and I could deal with the 12" radius. It has a Hard rock maple neck with ebony fretboard and Alnico humbuckers with coil splitting. I was thinking p90's or those Duncan P-rails may be a nice touch for the variety. I would try the stock pickups first though.

The shocking thing for me is that you can pick these up new for $500 to $600. I know that it is the tribute line, but a 1 3/4 neck is VERY hard to find on a stock guitar let alone a ebony fretboard and G&L's heavy duty saddle locking fixed bridge. A custom warmoth neck will cost close to this whole guitar!

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...luxe/index.asp

Old 11-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played a Cantrell but own 17 G&L's. The tributes are a terrific value as are the American models, especially used. Leos best designs in my opinion. I also have Fenders but these are his finest. -- Darwin
Old 11-13-2014, 06:53 PM

the specs don't mention the nut width, where did you get the measurement from?

also, any idea of the spacing at the saddle?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

MC1, when on the G&L website you have to click on the spec tab and it is listed as 1 3/4. --Darwin

Edit: MC1, I now see what you are saying as the link posted is the Cantrell Superhawk. I do believe the Cantrell is 1 3/4.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
MC1, when on the G&L website you have to click on the spec tab and it is listed as 1 3/4. --Darwin
thanks, i did click on the specs, but somehow i missed it. d'oh. i guess i was scaning on the left.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:02 AM

Although I'm a fan of 1 3/4" nut widths on acoustics I don't think I'd like it on electrics. Nice to see Jerry get a signature guitar.

Do you think you'll get one?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
any idea of the spacing at the saddle?
Best I can find is a reference to 54mm on some website which translates to 2 1/8. Sounds right to me as I believe that is standard spacing for electric guitars. That's 1/8 narrower than I prefer, but what can you do.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Although I'm a fan of 1 3/4" nut widths on acoustics I don't think I'd like it on electrics. Nice to see Jerry get a signature guitar.

Do you think you'll get one?
I am strongly considering it. There's kinda no going back though. I have to order it form the USA and pay the duty since the guitar is made overseas. Then I wouldn't want to take the hit on sending it back. I think it is amazing value for the price though. I don't think I have seen an ebony fretboard on a guitar that is under $1,000.

I don't know if I would like 1 3/4 nut on electric either. I know that I find 1 11/16 a bit to narrow for my liking.

It's surprising how many G&L guitars have Jerry's name on them. 3 USA models and 3 Tribute models. I'm sure that they'll thin out the selection soon. I can't imagine the single humbucker model being very popular. Although EVH certainly went pretty far with just one humbucker.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I am strongly considering it. There's kinda no going back though. I have to order it form the USA and pay the duty since the guitar is made overseas. Then I wouldn't want to take the hit on sending it back. I think it is amazing value for the price though. I don't think I have seen an ebony fretboard on a guitar that is under $1,000.

I don't know if I would like 1 3/4 nut on electric either. I know that I find 1 11/16 a bit to narrow for my liking.

It's surprising how many G&L guitars have Jerry's name on them. 3 USA models and 3 Tribute models. I'm sure that they'll thin out the selection soon. I can't imagine the single humbucker model being very popular. Although EVH certainly went pretty far with just one humbucker.
jerry must play a lot.

i wouldn't put too much emphasis on the ebony fretboard.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post

Have you considered going to Long & McQuade (or any other Canadian store) to see if they'll order one in for you. L&M may be able to order it as a "special" order which means you can't take it back; however, if there are any issues with Customs or a defective guitar they would handle all that for you.

I recommend trying to find another electric with a 1 3/4" nut width and play it a bit to see if you like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars