The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-04-2018, 05:01 PM

Default Fishman P/U question

Does anybody else have trouble with their Fishman Rare Earth p/u,( or any other brand), having the high e and b string coming thru too hot?? Besides eq'ing it did anyone fine a way to tone them down? I have been experimenting with the height adjustment ( no change) placing electrical tape over the high e/b location ( no change). any mods info would be great.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:09 PM

It's a common problem with magnetic pickups and the fact that they don't respond to bronze/phosphor bronze strings. The central steel core of the wound string does induce a signal from the pickup but, as the central core makes up a relatively small proportion of the overall mass of, for instance, a wound 0.56mm (#6) phosphor bronze string compared to the 100% steel of the 0.12mm (#1) then the 100% steel sounds louder and "closer".

Individually adjusted pole pieces can reduce the effect somewhat but, as the recent reluctant purchaser of a Baggs m1 active I can attest that it's an incomplete solution. I've removed the pp under the B completely and sunk the E as low as possible.

Nickel bronze strings are a help but I suspect I'll end up using 100% steel (electric) strings eventually.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification