The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-13-2016, 06:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wink Yet Another NGD : Eastman Non-Cutaway Acoustic Archtop

After buying my first Eastman Archtop, an AR-805CE. I was hooked, I started looking for another Eastman Archtop but this time an all acoustic non cutaway 16". This one came along and I snatched it up, beautifully flamed maple. Came with a custom Campellone pickguard, looks good but the binding of the pickguard is too white and doesnt match the ivory white of the guitar, I have an L5 guard that has matching binding that I will install once I have a mount kit. Other upgrades I did were a Kluson tail-piece and a bipod bridge. Strung it up with Martin Retro .012's and boy does she sing. I thought my first Eastman was loud but man this one is a canon of an archtop (probably since the other one has flatwound strings)

One gripe I do have is that the finish seems to have some sort of reaction with the factory hard shell case. Does anyone here have experience with that? There are a few spot where the finish seems to get a little rough

Old 10-13-2016, 08:29 PM

Very nice! I'm seeing an Eastman archtop in my future....
Old 10-14-2016, 12:33 PM

Another beauty well-bought - love the '40s vibe the pickguard and tailpiece lend, should be even better with a larger/better-matched 'guard...

BTW for the electric 805CE you want more of a classic early-50's bop tone, so you're right on track with the flats; that said, I'd recommend setting this one up as your "unplugged" jazzbox and stepping up to a set of monel 13's - period-correct, drives the top a little harder, and delivers more low-mid "chunk" for acoustic chord soloing or Big Band-style four-to-the-bar comp rhythm...

Use it well and often...
Old 10-14-2016, 02:01 PM

Beautiful guitar. I've not considered an arch top , but hmmm !
Old 10-17-2016, 07:16 PM

I had an Eastman where the finish did react to the case. Before it did anymore damage, I covered the spot where the problem was, and replaced the little pull tab on the case compartment ad that seemed to be the main problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops