The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-22-2001, 01:42 PM

Post 314ce

I just purchased this guitar this weekend. This is my first all solid wood guitar and my first Taylor. After contemplating and playing nearly everything in my price range, I decided it had to be a Taylor after playing one. I bought this particular guitar because I liked the GA body and the price was excellent. The tone to my ears was great, and after years of playing low quality dreads, it's nice to be able to hear midrange and treble notes, and to have some sustain. And after a three hour session with a couple of guys playing dreads, I can say that this thing does have some volume, and it seemed to cut through really well. Also, for a low end model, it has some wonderful features (dark ebony, high quality tuners, bound fretboard, tusq nut & saddle). Wouldn't mind an all gloss finish, and I don't really like the large pearl fret markers, but other than those minor things, this guitar is really great.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:37 PM

You have nothing but better days ahead. My 410 is going on 6 years old and it has matured into an even better sounding instrument.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:16 PM

Question

Yeah, I've been wondering about this. When I was considering a Martin purchase, many told me that a Martin could take years or even decades to open up. Are Taylors the same way?
Old 05-23-2001, 10:55 PM

johnh,

Well this is my second reply to you tonight.

I had not looked at guitars for 26 years and started looking at Martins and Guilds. Starting at the "less expensive lines", I worked my way up. I was shocked at at Martins deciding to label DXME's others as Martins. These should have been the "Sigma by Martin". Martin deciding to market poor sounding guitars did effect my over all perception of their guitars. I never played a Taylor that sounded "cheap".

My point is the Martin/Sigma deal is a lot like the Fender/Squire deal. The better known name has to build a less qualiy guiar to bridge the gap. I hope Taylor does not go the same route.

As far as the "opening up" issue, wood is wood, and it does it's own aging. Different woods will age differently. It is hard for me to believe that that the finish on a guitar has a large effect on it. Most finishes have a 2-4 thousandth of an inch film thickness. The wood thickness and type of wood is the major factor in the "opening up" issue. A Taylor guitar top made of say cedar should age similar to a Martin made of cedar.
Old 05-23-2001, 11:01 PM

Jeeze, I wish there was a sspellling checker in this forum!!
Old 06-03-2001, 09:59 AM

Smile

Quote:
When I was considering a Martin purchase, many told me that a Martin could take years or even decades to open up. Are Taylors the same way?
It all depends. Like another poster noted, wood is wood and it ages when it wants to. But you have a part to play in this too - the more you play it, the faster the aging process. Wood ages as the guitar is played - the wood cells tighten up, the glue relaxes, etc.

I've had my 314ce for less than a year and it's sounding more open than it did when I bought it. My experience volume-wise is similar to yours - I have a friend who has a powerful Martin HD-28LSV (with the large soundhole) and my 314ce had no problems keeping up. This guitar never ceases to amaze me with its sound.

Congratulations - you bought one of the best guitars for the money going. Mine's my first good acoustic too, marking a return to playing guitar after years of coincentrating on bass and Hammond B-3 (both of which I still play regularly.)

Happy pickin!

TP[/LIST]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification