The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

My acoustic trio just did a three hour gig at a local fine-dining establishment for $300 plus dinner and drinks. I don't drink, so that didn't cost them anything. And by the time we were all packed-up, we didn't want to bother them for dinner. So they got a "bargain".

P.S. I've been gigging in rock and country bands, solo nuevo flamenco jazz type stuff, and acoustic duos and trios for 35 years. I've made (per person) anywhere from $50 (that was many years ago playing in country dive bars), to $500 (that was for NYE Y2K). I generally won't pack up my gear and leave the house for anything less than $100 in my pocket. I had a regular solo acoustic gig a few blocks from my house where I only charged them $100 for two hours, but the tips were very good. One person tipped me $50, and then his wife and daughter also gave me tips! I walked-out with $250 for a $100 gig that night. Very nice! I've also played many weddings for very good money (those were consistently the best money). I've played somewhere between 1,000-2,000 gigs over the years and used to tour the NW in a bus with a rock band. So I've seen it all besides full-on concert arena stages and my advice is this: do what you have to do to get out there and get experience and exposure, but don't "disrespect yourself" either. Because taking too little pay for very long tends to bite you in the butt somehow. I did just do a "freebie" (for tips only) with the trio, because that was our first gig together and we wanted a no-pressure, informal situation to get the ball rolling. So I'm not above that sort of thing. But our second gig was the $300 one mentioned above. We're all seasoned pros and weren't going to be giving our hard work and experience away for long. We're worth more than that. I take deserving gigs for varying rates of pay, but I'm sure not going to busk at my age and level of experience.

Last edited by Red_Label; 05-21-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 PM

I can't thank all of you enough for the insight. This is great advice and I definitely will put it to good use!
Old 05-21-2019, 10:14 PM

And then there are the worthy fund raisers that I play free for because I believe in the cause. And I even play free at times for local venues because I like the place and am not in need of the funds at the moment. I share these just for balance to the other gigs I do for pay.
Locally I live in an area where there is an abundance of good musicians who will play for very little. That makes it tough for anyone else to get paid much. And solo gigs are non-existent now. Only duos, trios and larger get the gigs because there are so many of them. The market is flooded, the pay goes in the toilet and the really good solo musicians just give up. Bummer.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:36 AM

This subject comes up 2-3 times a year here. I don't see any changes. It is really dependent on where you are.
In the New England seacoast area (Boston to Portland, Maine), there is a glut of performers and bands, which drives down the going rates. Solo, my rate is $50 per (playing) hour. For private parties, I also add in transportation and 'hassle' fees. My acoustic trio was getting $250-300, sometimes with dinners (not drinks) thrown in - but we turned down gigs at less than $200 for 3 hours.
There are a lot of younger players/bands around that take gigs much cheaper - but many of them are 'full-timers', or struggling. As long as people will take the low-paying gigs, the pay won't go up.
For a new band, the way to approach it with the venue is 'we'll give you a discounted rate for our first gigs to see how things go and if we get a crowd, but after that our fee is $xxx'.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-22-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
And then there are the worthy fund raisers that I play free for because I believe in the cause. And I even play free at times for local venues because I like the place and am not in need of the funds at the moment. I share these just for balance to the other gigs I do for pay.
Locally I live in an area where there is an abundance of good musicians who will play for very little. That makes it tough for anyone else to get paid much. And solo gigs are non-existent now. Only duos, trios and larger get the gigs because there are so many of them. The market is flooded, the pay goes in the toilet and the really good solo musicians just give up. Bummer.

Good point! I have played a bunch of free gigs at museums and fundraisers for other entities over the years. There's one in particular that I played 3 or 4 years in a row, that I've been turning-down for the past couple of years. It's always such a long, sweaty, stressful day for me. But the entertainment director calls me every year like clockwork and I'll probably accept next time. I don't play these charity cases with other musicians though, because I don't want to assume that they're also into giving their time away. In the past, I've always been a bit "embarrassed" when I've played these gigs in a band and we're being paid pretty big money. I know it's their choice of whether or not to book paid bands, but still... when I've done those highly-paid galas in the past I always felt like we were the only ones on the dole (though I know that the sound people, caterers, etc were all being paid as well). So I prefer just to take those gigs as a solo artist. I have donated monies paid back to charity events in the past as well. Just depends on my determination of the charity's "worthiness". I'm a sucker for animal causes.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot1405 View Post
I would say we are very solid talent wise, but have only opened for bands at 3 venues/bars. We were hoping to ask for 225 for regular 3 hour gigs. Do you think that would be reasonable?
Maybe ... it depends on the venue, and your local market. For us, we'd insist on $300, no more than 3 hours, and would reject any venue that wanted us to play past midnight. We're not playing to young folks (although many come to hear us), and we draw more playing 8-11 (after dinner). Venues come around to our way of thinking when they realize that many who come for the music came early for dinner. It's not unusual for a table of four to spend $200 over the course of the evening (dinner and drinks). Those younger people just don't have that kind of disposable income, and spend the night nursing $2 PBRs.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Default How Much to Charge for 3 Hour Gig?

I don’t live in the US but $225 is far too little, don’t rip yourselves off!!! I would have thought $600 would be more appropriate... Personally I don’t get out of bed for less than $10,000.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06

Last edited by bobster7; 05-22-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:59 AM

Does anyone here do retirement home gigs? If so, is it paid or volunteer? If paid, us it reduced rates?

I'd like to do some retirement home performance. I'm not looking to do it for money per say, mainly for enjoyment and sharing with the retirees there. However, I respect others may do so for income, and don't want to affect the market for working musicians, or possibly for myself in the future, were I to need to be paid to continue. As has been said, initial fees set the basis for future expectations.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
Does anyone here do retirement home gigs? If so, is it paid or volunteer? If paid, us it reduced rates?

I'd like to do some retirement home performance. I'm not looking to do it for money per say, mainly for enjoyment and sharing with the retirees there. However, I respect others may do so for income, and don't want to affect the market for working musicians, or possibly for myself in the future, were I to need to be paid to continue. As has been said, initial fees set the basis for future expectations.
I've been thinking about doing my solo gig as a charity act at retirement homes for years. I really should get off my lazy butt and do it! I've been working up new original Americana material that might just be a good fit for that around here.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I play several in my area. I've done a few as PR without pay but it was under special circumstances, but for the majority of them I get paid. Remember even though these places are understaffed and the staff is underpaid, they have money. They pretty much empty the bank accounts of the residents as soon as they come into the home. I always ask what's in their budget for entertainment and then set my rate there. Usually it's $50 - $150 which is pretty good for an easy on hour afternoon gig.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:

My wife and I will play approximately 100 of these kind of gigs this year. 100 bucks a pop for duo, $75 for solo.

At this price point you can play as often as you wish and with minimal amount of gear.

We do make it a point that these locations are no farther than 25 minutes away. Farther away = higher rate.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-22-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

As many have suggested --location location location...

And I would add type of venue, generally

I always played solo so can't really offer for your trio depends on the typical for your area .

But basically for bars/coffeehouses/brewpubs I held to $50 per set ( at least 2 sets) at 45 minute set with 5 to 10 minute break between sets.

Restaurants usually $200 for 2 hours Or $150 and dinner if the food was good I don't drink so it was food based.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Charge the going rate or a little more. The folks who get gigs by low balling the competition usually don't do well in the long run.

I'm with Kev on the numbers but it doesn't matter to me whether it's salary or tips or what combination. If I can take home around $200 from a gig I'm happy. If it's less than $100 it's not worth leaving my house.

If you approach your competitors with hey man I'm new at this and I don't want to step on anyone's toes can I ask your advice it should go well.

Over the years I have been turned on to sweet gigs by "competitors". If you support your venue and the other musicians working there you'll become one of the family you'l have the gig forever.

And for what it's worth small local venues usually pay what they pay. It's generally not negotiable and you can either take it or leave it. You can negotiate, meals, drinks, etc.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
I've been thinking about doing my solo gig as a charity act at retirement homes for years. I really should get off my lazy butt and do it! I've been working up new original Americana material that might just be a good fit for that around here.
Charity? Don't you know these places PAY for entertainment? An acquaintance of mine used to play more than 200 such gigs a year, which was a significant portion of his total income. 200 gigs x 100 per (minimum) = 20,000/year. All in the afternoon, leaving him free to play evenings in other venues. What you propose is like working at McDonald's for free ... someone isn't gonna have a job.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:01 PM

So, gigging, huh?

Sounds like after travel expenses one might need to play out a couple times a week for a few months to fund a new D-18.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion