The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-02-2021, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Power supply for Tonedexter + EAE StompMix 4

I've whittled my solo singer/songwriter rig down to the bare minimum. I plan to use a small board with a ToneDexter and an EAE Stompmix 4 feeding a small powered speaker.

I'm conscious of the particular power needs of the Tonedexter. I think the Stompmix is a little less power hungry. Still, I need a small power supply that can fit on a little board and feed these two devices well.

Candidates include the PedalPower 4x4 and the Strymon Ojai.

Any other ideas? The smaller the better.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:48 PM

Since both can use a 12V, center-positive supply, something like this, with a splitter cable, should do nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Bat...tronics&sr=1-6

BTW, I use the same battery for both my ToneDexter and my electric guitar pedal board. I built a 12V-9V converter that also switches polarity for the pedals.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-02-2021, 01:05 PM

I have both on my pedalboard and use the CIOKS DC7. Works great.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Since both can use a 12V, center-positive supply, something like this, with a splitter cable, should do nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Bat...tronics&sr=1-6

BTW, I use the same battery for both my ToneDexter and my electric guitar pedal board. I built a 12V-9V converter that also switches polarity for the pedals.
Thanks. What kind of battery life are you getting from the camera battery?
Old 08-02-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
Thanks. What kind of battery life are you getting from the camera battery?
According to James May, I should get about six hours for the ToneDexter alone, but I've never gone that long without recharging the battery, so I don't really know.

BTW, larger batteries, with longer run-times, are available from Amazon as well, but this one has been more than adequate for my needs.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-02-2021, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
I've whittled my solo singer/songwriter rig down to the bare minimum. I plan to use a small board with a ToneDexter and an EAE Stompmix 4 feeding a small powered speaker.

I'm conscious of the particular power needs of the Tonedexter. I think the Stompmix is a little less power hungry. Still, I need a small power supply that can fit on a little board and feed these two devices well.

Candidates include the PedalPower 4x4 and the Strymon Ojai.

Any other ideas? The smaller the better.
Hi Crowder

For my ToneDexter I use a JOYO JP-05 lithium battery power supply.

I cannot find them in retail any more, but they are sold via eBay, reverb, and other outlets for about $69 new.

I run it in the 9V 100ma mode (it was suggested it would work by James May the inventor on this forum). It works great!!

I've used this on stage for up to 4 hours and never had the battery even register in the yellow.

0% - - Red flashing (charge it up!)
0-30% - - Red
30-60% - Yellow
60-100% - Green

After 4 hours powered up it was still green. I never turned the power off, nor unplugged down the ToneDexter. It was for multiple church services each an hour long, and then I switched it off after the last service.

I'm not sure if I can use it to pull WaveMaps…the JOYO does have a full 12v mode (still 100ma). I always carry the power supply should I need to pull WaveMaps (which I've never needed to do when at gigs).

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all. I've ordered one of the battery packs like phc recommended.

I may also order a Pedal Power x4. I can get one of those for $89. It would be nice to have a real power supply for gigs when I know I'll have plenty of power drops. The battery will come in handy for situations where that isn't the case.

Generally speaking I play two kinds of situations these days. If I'm doing an open mic or songwriter's shootout I just use a short stereo cable from my Trinity-equipped Collings into the beltpack preamp, and then just plug the house cable into that.

The Tonedexter/EAE setup will be used for multi-hour coffehouse type gigs. I have a single Headrush 8" powered speaker. Together with this new board it should make for a super-compact rig. I always carry a long extension cord with three outlets on the end, and that is usually all I need.

Last edited by Crowder; 08-03-2021 at 08:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification