The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-31-2021, 05:10 PM

Default Quick Review of the LR Baggs M1 Passive

Earlier this year I bought a Yamaha FS-830. It checked a lot of boxes for me. Relatively inexpensive, 25" scale, and I didn't have to be too precious with it. In the time I've had it, I realized this is a gig-worthy instrument and went looking for a pickup.

After much consternation, I bought a Seymour Duncan Woody XL. Unfortunately, it had an issue and I sent it back. Additionally it didn't stay in place all that well in the soundhole. So I decided to go with a pickup that would stay in place, and could be removed with minimal effort.

The M1 arrived this morning. I've had a few moments with it through my computer interface and closed back headphones.

Running the M1 straight into the interface, it sounds good by itself. Through a BOSS BC-1x compressor, BOSS GE-7 EQ, and Ibanez DE-7 delay, I'm not sure I could get a better live sound. This will sit well in a band mix, sound good solo acoustic, and have no feedback issues. The tone sounds half acoustic/half electric. It's got a bit of almost archtop quality to it where you can hear a woodyness to the strings. As opposed to the bright neon electric tone of a Telecaster.

I'm 100% certain I could have spent more to get a "more acoustic" tone. I originally thought about a Lyric, but you all posted such negative reviews given your live experiences, I decided to go the other direction.

I get where people are coming from when they say it won't sound good direct into a PA. If I were in that situation, I'd bring any of of the above pedals as a buffer between the pickup and mixer and solve the problem. I could also use a passive direct box. The important thing here is it sounds good and full on its own. If I want authentic, I'll stay home and record with my microphone.

Last edited by Help!I'maRock; 08-01-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:05 PM

I bought the m1a (active) to sort out a temporary situation and it has sat in a drawer since. It's very good at what it does, it's just that what it does is not what I needed.

Your well written description of the character of the m1 chimes very much with my own experience of the m1a and I agree with you that the Boss EQ pedal and a decent DI (active or passive) is all it should take to create something very presentable.

Just not my thing.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I have two gigging guitars with M1 passive pickups and two with Baggs Anthem SL pickups. For low volume live situations I can get excellent acoustic tones with the Anthem pickups but those gigs are few and far between and I usually end with a compromised tone which is ok. But with the M1 pickups I can get a very pleasing good acoustic sound regardless of the volume or room conditions. I kinda wish I would have just gone with M1 passive pickups in all my guitars. I have tried M1 Active pickups and just didn’t think they sounded as good as the passive. The top end sounded a bit brittle.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-01-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I love the tone of the M1, although I have the M1a. Just wish it wasn't so heavy...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 08-01-2021, 04:20 PM

I don’t like the active M1. The pre is too hot and hyped at the top end for me. The passive is more warm and rootsy, and more musically useful to my ears. I think the passive is an excellent choice, and one you’ll be happy with.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:13 AM

Thanks for the review, been thinking about getting a passive soundhole pickup for one of my guitars. Was curious whether the M1 is better than a Fishman humbucker, anyone compared the two?

To my ear, a soundhole pickup doesnt sound any more unnatural than allot of piezo pickups, and generally sounds more pleasing regardless. In my experience it seems to take a fair bit of electronic gear and tweaking to craft a sound that actually resembles the guitar's acoustic sound anyways.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Bushleague, I prefer the passives Fishman Blackstack and Sunrise to
the M1, M1A and M80. I think they sound more natural. I use them
in my 2 gigging guitars and would recommend either. I keep a spare
Blackstack in the closet; it is pretty easy to pop in and out of guitars
passing thru my house. BTW, I also have
a MojoTone NC-1 active pu that i like, but have not had a chance to
fully test out....but will do so later....
Old 08-02-2021, 07:43 AM

Reading with interest, considering an M1 Active but the passive one is cheaper though both would probably need a preamp/EQ to shape it more to get it sounding good?
Old 08-02-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Thanks for the review, been thinking about getting a passive soundhole pickup for one of my guitars. Was curious whether the M1 is better than a Fishman humbucker, anyone compared the two?
I have not compared the two. Price definitely influenced my decision. The Fishman Blackstack is $250. The M1 is $159. I bought it on-sale for $129 and had a $25 Reverb coupon as well. You could play me all the soundclips in the world and none of them would convince me the Fishman is worth $145 more than the Baggs. Especially considering the guitar only cost $320.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerates View Post
Reading with interest, considering an M1 Active but the passive one is cheaper though both would probably need a preamp/EQ to shape it more to get it sounding good?
For me, the only advantage to the Active version is if you're the type to plug straight into a mixing board, and you don't use a preamp or pedals. The buffer in the pickup will send a good signal over a long cable run. In my situation, I'm running the guitar into a buffered tuner pedal, at minimum. Could the cable between the passive pickup and the buffered pedal degrade the signal? If it does, the effect is inaudible (to me).
Old 08-02-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock View Post

For me, the only advantage to the Active version is if you're the type to plug straight into a mixing board, and you don't use a preamp or pedals. The buffer in the pickup will send a good signal over a long cable run. In my situation, I'm running the guitar into a buffered tuner pedal, at minimum. Could the cable between the passive pickup and the buffered pedal degrade the signal? If it does, the effect is inaudible (to me).
Yeah I'm a plug in and play guy and like to keep the signal chain as simple as I can. The cable is about 3m. I'd probably plug it directly into the mixer as its for home use primarily. Later on I may take it out live on stage.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerates View Post
Yeah I'm a plug in and play guy and like to keep the signal chain as simple as I can. The cable is about 3m. I'd probably plug it directly into the mixer as its for home use primarily. Later on I may take it out live on stage.
I already have these pedals, so that was also part of the equation for me. They're simple, I'm familiar with them, and and there's no need to buy anything else. I emailed LR Baggs who said the BOSS GE-7 is a fantastic pairing to the M1. Which tells me everything I need to know about " acoustic preamp pedals". The EQ is gonna go somewhere. I might as well be the one to control it.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock View Post
I emailed LR Baggs who said the BOSS GE-7 is a fantastic pairing to the M1.
Certainly is.

Quote:
Which tells me everything I need to know about " acoustic preamp pedals".
Not sure it does

Quote:

The EQ is gonna go somewhere. I might as well be the one to control it.
Yup.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Not sure it does.
I'm listening.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:50 AM

Well, there's more to acoustic preamps than just EQ. I've been through quite a few over the years, some of them are great and some are a waste of money.

Unfortunately anything I say will be relatively subjective and others will chime in with their opinions, some based on experience and some on internet reviews. Someone will say, "pickups are all the devil's work, I only use a mic" and someone will argue that they've been playing since 1850 and never needed amplification.

The only really meaningful opinion (beyond very basic guidance) you can rely on is your own and that must be informed by experience. Try some options, questions and answers can then have some context.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Unfortunately anything I say will be relatively subjective and others will chime in with their opinions, some based on experience and some on internet reviews. Someone will say, "pickups are all the devil's work, I only use a mic" and someone will argue that they've been playing since 1850 and never needed amplification.
I would say to them there is no devil and on the off chance there is, I've obviously thrown in with him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification