The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-27-2021, 10:50 AM

Default Beginning Mandolin- Next Step and Final Step

Hello all- I bought a Washburn M1SD A-style oval-hole mandolin (and had it set up) from Sweetwater. I didn't realize that mandolins are so much fun to play. I'm teaching myself from a couple of Hal Leonard books and from YouTube videos. I already have intermediate knowledge of guitar playing and take live guitar lessons, so that helps. I find myself gravitating towards Led Zeppelin at the moment.

The Washburn I have plays and sounds great. I'm not planning on ever getting rid of it. However, I was just wondering what a good next step up from this mandolin would be. I was also wondering about a final step (or dream) mandolin for the distant future. Thanks for your input!
Old 06-27-2021, 12:04 PM

I would look at Eastman as a good next step. You could get an MD-305 for $525, if that sounds like your ballpark budget.

The Mandolin Store is a great place to deal with. You can check them out here:

https://themandolinstore.com/product...el-a-mandolin/

I got an MD-504 through them a year ago and just love it.

And for popular music on YouTube, check Rock Pop Mandolin.

Jim
2018 Taylor Baby Taylor
2019 Martin 000-15m
2020 Taylor GS mini RW
3 mandolins and 2 banjos
Old 06-27-2021, 01:14 PM

Kentucky and Eastman are the usual choices for a step-up mando...
Old 06-27-2021, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I just got an Eastman MD615 (maybe your "next step") in Feb and am loving it.
The Dream might be a Collings.

Last edited by M19; 06-28-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
However, I was just wondering what a good next step up from this mandolin would be. I was also wondering about a final step (or dream) mandolin for the distant future.
If you’re not drawn to the mandolin for bluegrass, and don’t require the f-style profile on a carved archtop with f-holes, then there are some great values available to you, even vintage ones. From what I have read, Jimmy Page wrote “The Battle of Evermore” on a canted top Martin belonging to John Paul Jones and then performed it on a 1920 Sheraton brown Gibson A2. The former should be available for under $1K, and the latter $2K, making them potential step up and dream mandolins for you.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

If you are happy with your mandolin, wait until you can jump to the premium mandolin segment. The base line for me would be a master series Kentucky, but really you should go right to Northfield, Collings, or Gibson. Northfields are fine mandolins and the F 5S and F2 (?) are fantastic. If you don't get scroll addicted you can find a used Silverangel for around $1400. Others are the Weber Gallatin or add a pile and get a Collings MT. At this level, heaven help you get scroll addicted.

If you aren't hard core Bluegrass, a Silverangel is a really fabulous mandolin. I'm not saying an Eastman won't sound better than your Washburn, but for the long haul, I'd skip the middle ground. Good as the master Kentuckys are, I'd regret not buying a Northfield.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-27-2021, 11:21 PM

Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome Flow Chart

1. Do you want to play bluegrass?

No: Then get a handmade flat top mandolin from Big Muddy/Mid Missouri, Howard Morris, Poe (if you are lucky) or maybe a Northfield Calhoun. All are great mandolins and available for under $1k new or less used.

Yes: In this case you will need a carved top, preferably with “F” holes, but in most cases I would advise you to stay away from ”F” bodied, so called “Florentine” mandolins. They are the ones with the scroll. While scrolls are pretty, you can get a much nicer “A” style body with “F” holes for much less money.

Carved top mandolins
In the sub $1k mandolin world, I would recommend an Eastman 305 (~$400-$500 new) or an Eastman 505 (~$750), which will have a gloss finish and better tuners (and debatably a better tailpiece). A 315 “F” body shape would cost about $750, and a 515 around $1100. So you see you can get a nicer “A” for the same money as an “F”.

Right at $1k you can get a 2014-2018 Kentucky 900 series, if you are lucky. These are really good, very different from the lower echelon Kentucky mandolins (which by and large have failed to impress me). There are also some oddballs at the $1k range, things like used Breedlove Quartz OF that are good mandolins, but you have to know what you are looking at to correctly ascertain their value.

Final step? Don’t ask. Gibson, Gilchrist, Monteleone, Dudenbostel, all run north of $25,000 for an F5. Kimble, Ellis, Collings, Red Diamond are all $8-$12k for their F5s. Collings, Weber, Northfield, as well as used Flatirons and used Gibsons, run $5-$8k.
If you can live without the scroll, “A” style Collings, Northfields and Pavas start at about $3k and can be has used for a little less. An Ellis A style is $5-$6K; a Kimble A a little less, and used Gilchrist, Nuggets and Dudenbostel A styles run $8-12K.

Scour the Mandolin Cafe classifieds. Happy hunting.

Last edited by posternutbag; 06-27-2021 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:28 AM

Wow - what great list of suggestions! Only thing I would ad is a vintage Gibson A (I would prefer a Snakehead A) and F2. Test as many as you can get in your hands and try to find out which sound suits your taste and playing style. Is it the round hole or the F-hole construction ?
Here is a vid I recently made demonstrating the different sound of three mandolins I own - one round hole, two F-hole. Maybe that helps a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m757DurjcVU

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-28-2021, 07:04 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I appreciate it.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:48 AM

The ultimate sleeper mandolins for bluegrass (but really a lot more) are the late-90s, early 2000s Flatirons made in Nashville by Gibson. They are essentially Gibsons with very slight differences. Used A styles come less than $1500; I've seen used F's for about $2K. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOzn-pedlxw
Old 06-28-2021, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

You can get a Gibson F9 used for around the $3K-3.5K. It will be a plain Jane, but will deliver bluegrass for days. A new Northfield F 5S is around $3700 new and if you find one south od $3K buy it. The Northfield Big Mon, and extreemly worthy contender id pushing $5K these days, low fours used. The Collings MF is $5200, but most are gloss tops at $5800. Not for the feint of heart. All these are entryway mandolins. Take a gander at the Carter's Vintage website for the real meat of the market, the $7,000 to $12,000 used category.

This is the F style or Florentine. Yes it is better not to get scroll adicted, but for me that ship has sailed. The better quality Collings A styles are high four grand. And an A style Gilchrist well under 10K.

My advice? buy a Northfield and be happy, but you won't get the wood that comes with every Collings. But they sound and play great.

If you play folk and celtic, hard to go wrong with a teens Gibson A, A-1, 2, 3, or 4. $1200 to $1800 in good condition.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-28-2021, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

The poster does a blind comparison of an Eastman 515 (F-style, under $1k) and Collings MT (A-style, over $3k). The Eastman was preferred by most. BUT, as with all things acoustic (IMO), comparing single instances of two decent brands and probably similar, relative price points doesn't mean a whole lot, except that you cannot make generalizations. Two others, or maybe different setups, might have turned ears the other way.

Full disclosure, I have an Eastman - my 2nd - a well used MD815V, F-style, from an old friend. I had an MD605, A-style, several years ago, but let it sit idle so long I sold it. I do confess to feeling that an F-style mandolin looks best, but there's a significant labor penalty for those bits of solid wood and curlicues that basically differentiate the Fs from As.

So, I'd say, keep picking and develop a preference for both the sound and looks that will make you happy, and that your current instrument cannot achieve, and then (maybe when things settle down), go somewhere you can try a bunch.

The used market right now is a little tight, but it's still a better place to buy, especially if you don't need perfect condition, and have patience. But, you need to know what you really need, and that probably will take a bit of time.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-29-2021 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Not necessary.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia View Post
The ultimate sleeper mandolins for bluegrass (but really a lot more) are the late-90s, early 2000s Flatirons made in Nashville by Gibson. They are essentially Gibsons with very slight differences. Used A styles come less than $1500; I've seen used F's for about $2K.
Kevin Douglas has one over at mandomutt.com for $2649.95:

http://www.mandomutt.com/products-pa...n-festival-f-5
Old 07-11-2021, 02:44 PM

Default Saving

I've just set aside my first savings installment (to myself). After looking and listening, I've decided to be patient and save towards a Collings MT-GT (Gloss Top w/f-holes) in Sunburst. I see they are going for around $3,500 new. I already have a hillbilly pedigree (born in KY), so I don't need a scroll. Haha. In the meantime, I will keep my eyes out for used versions and will keep learning on the Washburn. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-12-2021, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
I've just set aside my first savings installment (to myself). After looking and listening, I've decided to be patient and save towards a Collings MT-GT (Gloss Top w/f-holes) in Sunburst. I see they are going for around $3,500 new. I already have a hillbilly pedigree (born in KY), so I don't need a scroll. Haha. In the meantime, I will keep my eyes out for used versions and will keep learning on the Washburn. Thanks everyone!
I think you're wise to save for the Collings. Don't settle for the MT if you can get a good used MT2 within your budget. I have a 2016 wide nut Italian Spruce topped MT2 that is a great mandolin. A Collings is good for about any genre, and without scroll envy you will thoroughly enjoy the MT/MT2!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments