The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-29-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Mac Mini Rumors

It's nice to see so many new Mac options in the works for small studio owners.

According the Apple leaker John Prosser, he’s reporting a return to the ports we loved so much on earlier Mac mini models namely;
  • Four Thunderbolt
  • Two USB-A
  • Ethernet
  • HDMI

Prosser: "We should expect the Mac mini to ship with basically the same spec options as the new MacBook Pro, which is 64 gigabytes of Ram, a 10 core CPU and 16 to 32 graphics cores."
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-29-2021, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Yes and the current Mini's with the M1' chips are said to be virtually dead quiet

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-03-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:24 PM

Prosser is one of the worst Apple rumor mongers out there. He's wrong FAR more often than he's right.

Edit: Saw that this was also posted by Mark Gurman from Bloomberg in mid-May. He has a much better track record.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I have no knowledge about the tack record of different prognosticators

But I like this guy's reviews and predictions . Early last fall his reviews and predictions were one reason I got my iMac (below in sig line )

He thinks the new Mac mini will have 4 TB ports and the new M1X chip but thinks It will not be released until fall

The performance results for the current M1 mini are pretty impressive, and if the predictions on the M1 X chip are accurate or close it will definitely be real contender in audio and graphics for home and small studio market

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-03-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:00 AM

More ports (i.e. at least parity with my 2018 Intel CPU one) would be nice. I've already mentioned in another thread about how much stuff hangs off my "Studio B" Mac Mini that I use for most of my in-the-box work. Someday I may need to replace my much older Mini in my larger studio space and while it doesn't have nearly the amount of stuff hanging off it, the small number of ports on the first generation Apple Silicon Macs isn't ideal.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-04-2021, 09:45 AM

I'm still rocking a 2012 quad core mini i7. It's time to upgrade soon (or past that point!). I've been tempted by these M1 minis. Pretty impressive performance benchmarks.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

WWDC 2021 should be starting in a few hours time will tell

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-08-2021, 03:17 AM

This is almost certainly coming at some point this year, I imagine about autumn/fall time.
Martin J40
Old 06-10-2021, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

YES did not happen at WWDC so this fall hopefully.

Speaking of the capabilities of a Mini.....There was a recent Avid web-nar talking about the new Hybrid Engine coming to HDX and one of the guys running it had an HDX system based on a Mac Mini
I assume using the new Avid HDX card chassis that houses both an HDX card and a Mac Mini in a 1U rack mount unit

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-10-2021, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Speaking of the capabilities of a Mini.....There was a recent Avid web-nar talking about the new Hybrid Engine coming to HDX and one of the guys running it had an HDX system based on a Mac Mini
I assume using the new Avid HDX card chassis that houses both an HDX card and a Mac Mini in a 1U rack mount unit
I came across the video last night and watched about half of it. At some point they made it clear that they were talking about something the Carbon already had. I didn't feel like I needed to watch the entire thing after that.

YouTube
Old 06-11-2021, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I came across the video last night and watched about half of it. At some point they made it clear that they were talking about something the Carbon already had. I didn't feel like I needed to watch the entire thing after that.
I just got caught up in watching it But yes It's simply about brining the Carbon Hybrid software ability, to current HDX users with out them having to get any additional hardware. Although the ability for HDX guys to choose back and forth, from either Hybrid HDX, or Classic HDX, is kind of a nice option for them
And of corse power wise with even just a single card HDX 1 system, they get 18 DSP chips rather than the 8 in Carbon
And with the Hybrid option they don't have to worry about voice count (unless they get over 2000 tracks going )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-20-2021, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I have the current M1 Mac mini and also a 2018 MacBook Pro.

The Mac mini is simply in a whole other league - just stunning. I record audio, haven't done video yet, but I'm blown away. I bought it refurbished and feel like it is a steal.

I can't stand how Apple took all the ports from the MacBook Pro - I've been a Mac aficionado since 2004, so not an early adopter, but I've been with Apple for a while. The 2018 MBP is the worst Mac I've owned.

The current Mini is one of the best.

More ports would be great!

Meanwhile, for more ports, these are a great option:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 06-21-2021, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
I have the current M1 Mac mini and also a 2018 MacBook Pro.

The Mac mini is simply in a whole other league - just stunning. I record audio, haven't done video yet, but I'm blown away. I bought it refurbished and feel like it is a steal.

I can't stand how Apple took all the ports from the MacBook Pro - I've been a Mac aficionado since 2004, so not an early adopter, but I've been with Apple for a while. The 2018 MBP is the worst Mac I've owned.

The current Mini is one of the best.

More ports would be great!

Meanwhile, for more ports, these are a great option:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk
That is a very interesting Hub/Port option
Just wild speculation here but I wonder with rumored increased ability of M2 series chips Apple, will consider something like a "Pro" model Mini with more ports ?????????? Could be an interesting fall

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-21-2021, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

I think the port thing might best be filed under "be careful what you wish for." When a computer only offers TB3 ports, it's a lot easier and cheaper to add USB ports via a hub than to add more TB3 ports. I wouldn't want to trade off even one of those for the ports no longer included. In fact, I'd be very happy if they upped the number of TB3 ports to six.

I know some folks don't like using hubs because they get in the way. My own solution was to buy a short riser. I hide the two hubs I use under that and it keeps them out of the way. It's also great protection for my iLok which is plugged into one of the hubs.

Another benefit is the riser brings the monitor up to eye level. Without the riser, my eyes are level with the top of the monitor. With the riser, my eyes are just above dead center.

YouTube
Old 06-21-2021, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I know some folks don't like using hubs because they get in the way. My own solution was to buy a short riser. I hide the two hubs I use under that and it keeps them out of the way. It's also great protection for my iLok which is plugged into one of the hubs.

Another benefit is the riser brings the monitor up to eye level. Without the riser, my eyes are level with the top of the monitor. With the riser, my eyes are just above dead center.
That riser is really nice, and I can see if your computer or display is sitting at a normal desk height that would be very nice.

On my desk (that I made), I built the riser into it At 2U rack space height . You can see it here with the speaker amp on the left and just a wood filler on the right. Note I did have cut a plywood riser under my old Apple cinema display to get to height

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-21-2021 at 10:45 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD