The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-30-2021, 07:20 AM

Default How do you get a dent out of your acoustic top?

I dented my redwood top on my new build after an I accidentally dropped a to on it. Anyone know how to fix this? Iron and steam? What if that don’t work? It is pretty deep. Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:47 AM

Default A thought

More information, please.

guitar assembled?
Guitar finished?
Dented or gouged (broken wood grain, chips)?

If it's bare wood, a dent, then moisten wood, heat with a clothes iron or heat sealing iron, repeat till no change. See what the area looks like.

Finished? How finished? If not completely assembled, see above.

Nothing can't be fixed, it depends on how far to back up OP wants to go. But depending on the extent of the damage fixing the problem might go so far as replacing the top.

Last edited by phavriluk; 07-30-2021 at 07:50 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 08-02-2021, 03:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

I’d put a drop of very clean water in the dent and put a lightbulb down close to it and let if dry slowly. Don’t cook it! Just warm light. Then repeat as many times as needed. This almost always works as long as you haven’t broken the wood grain.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 08-02-2021, 05:21 PM

What exactly did you drop on it? I read your post as dropped a 'to' on it. What's a 'to'? Maybe read your post and edit before you post?
Old 08-02-2021, 06:48 PM

There are actually two areas. One is a cent from a go bar deck rod that slipped and the other appears to have broken the grain. The broken gouge seems to be more problematic. This was from my measuring calipers that fell on the top. If the grain is broken does anyone know how to fix those. I plan to try and get the dent out this weekend.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapdog View Post
There are actually two areas. One is a cent from a go bar deck rod that slipped and the other appears to have broken the grain. The broken gouge seems to be more problematic. This was from my measuring calipers that fell on the top. If the grain is broken does anyone know how to fix those. I plan to try and get the dent out this weekend.
When wood breaks across the grain it will always be noticeable and made more dramatic with stain or dye.

You either live with it, do a sunburst if that will cover it where the color is opaque, paint it or replace it.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:49 AM

Default Leave it alone and live with it.

Dent in top? Can you still play it? Leave it alone and live with it. Life is full of dents and other similar problems.

If you had an operation and wound up with a small surgical scar, would you seek out a plastic surgeon?

Dents in tops of guitars are in the category of normal wear and tear. Nowadays people will pay extra for an instrument in relic condition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair