The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-30-2021, 09:13 AM

Default Recording acoustic guitar videos...help!

I've wanted to record more acoustic guitar videos, but the sound i get from just plopping my phone down is thin and quiet.

So for example, here's what I can get out of my phone with electric:

But here's how acoustic turns out.

I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. Any USB mics you all like? Apps for boosting volume or adjusting EQ?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-30-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

As you've noticed, mic placement becomes more important with acoustic, so any solution that involves an external microphone should be one that allows you to place the microphone in a variety of locations, i.e., to try and find one that works best. Me, I record separately with an audio interface and sync later, but there are external mics that plug directly into current smartphones that have extension cables and stand mount capability, which is what I'd probably try for the utmost simplcity.

Our son uses and AKG model, but there's a Shure model (MV88+) that gets good reviews.

Another thing to look at, whether using an external mic or not, is to use a video app - on the phone or computer after transferring there, if that's your workflow, that allows you to apply the EQ and a small amount of compression to the audio (my suggestion, because electric guitar is "naturally" compressed) within the video app.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:13 AM

The iRig Acoustic mic is worth checking out, not because it's anything special as a mic but the design of the clip allows you to get really up close and personal to the guitar which is reflected in the recorded tone.

I also have a couple of Rode lavaliers that do a similar job, regular lavalier mics come in a variety of types.

I have an ancient omni Sony ECM (50, I think) which I stick onto the end of the fingerboard with blu-tac for rough and ready recordings via XLR.

What phone do you use?
Old 07-30-2021, 10:29 AM

I use an Android phone, Galaxy s9, but I do have an iPad that I could use too. On other own, the Droid records better, but that iRig mic might work. Definitely fits the "simple" qualifier. I have no place to leave things permanently set up, and I'm not into plugging a ton of stuff in.

Don't need pro quality, just want to match what I can do "electric" in quality with "acoustic."

Old 07-30-2021, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I've wanted to record more acoustic guitar videos, but the sound i get from just plopping my phone down is thin and quiet.

I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. Any USB mics you all like? Apps for boosting volume or adjusting EQ?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Jeff…

Loved the playing.

I understand the draw cell phones bring to the keep-it-simple camp of recording and posting music.

Video from the phone is simple but lacks fidelity, picks up too much room/stray noise. And you just shoot it and upload it - uber simple. But the audio is for the most part atrocious on the phone's video recorder setting.

If you record audio and Video separately, the audio recordings are better and require less tweaking.

Video editing software allows one to sync the audio and set it's level (and trim it just like the video).

Audacity is free DAW [I](Digital Audio Workstation)… computer software for audio. And it's Open Source, cross platform, and reliable (and updated often enough to STAY useful).

It can certainly adjust levels, and EQ of your footage…and it would definitely boost the room noise your phone injected into your acoustic recordings.

Phones are great for video recording.
Hand held recorders, computers & interfaces are great for audio recording.

I'd be much happier suggesting a Zoom H1n ($120) or other similar handheld recorder with built in mics (tripod mountable) to record the guitar, and then drop those recordings into the DAW for tone, effects & EQ and upload to YouTube from your computer.

There is a learning curve, but it's pretty short (and YouTube is your friend).

Zoom, Tascam, Sony etc basic handheld recorders have been viable for more than a decade now, and their memory (SD cards) is cheap.

Their fidelity is more than adequate, and the internal mics work great.

It's worth it to record audio separately.

On top of all this, room treatment (and/or seeking out a quieter less reflective spot to record) is actually as important as the devices.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-30-2021, 12:36 PM

Its very helpful.

If im recording the audio separately, how am I capturing the video, though?

Old 07-30-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Same way you are now, with your phone. Then transfer both the video from the phone and the audio from the Zoom (or whatever) to your computer, and use a video editing program to sync them together and export the finished product.

You can purchase paid programs like Adobe Premiere or Apple Final Cut. There are even online editing programs like WeVideo. There are some free options, too, that other folks can chime in about.

You may also want to try Reaper. It's mainly for audio, but can do simple video editing tasks that would probably suit your needs. It's just $60 for a personal license, but can be used free for a 60-day trial (and tbh, indefinitely after that if don't mind the nagware).
Old 07-30-2021, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Its very helpful.

Hi Jeff…

Phone…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-30-2021, 02:22 PM

Video+iPad = Lumafusion. Transfer files via Google Drive.

Takes a bit of getting used to but seriously worth the effort.

+1 to Reaper also for editing without video FX control but with the best audio programme available.

I disgree (gently) with the idea of recording audio separately. If you have a decent, well positioned mic then the phone can process the numbers as well as anything else. The video process is massively more data-heavy.

If you feel the need lots of regular inferfaces can be hooked up to an Android phone with a USB OTG cable or the iPad with the appropriate CCK adaptor. Interface would need to be powered separately.

The way you describe your requirements I don't think that would be necessary.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Zoom cameras for musicians.

Hi, I've been submitting videos to Youtube for nine years now.
I think I started with a zoom Q3, then upgraded to a zoom q2n, then a Q4, and more recently a Q8.
Great mics, no editing, just mont it on a trpod, set the picure with the little screen, and go.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:

So for example, here's what I can get out of my phone with electric:

But here's how acoustic turns out.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Jeff,

Checking some of my previous posts about doing 1080 video on the cheap might give you some ideas. Here's one of my posts about video / audio:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=617860

Just using your built-in phone audio is going to result in generally unflattering sound for a number of reasons. First, it's mono. The phone will also be applying automatic gain and compression to what it picks up, and that's usually not a good thing either. Positioning the phone back far enough to capture your performance would also make your audio sound farther back in the mix, well, because it would be.

As a "food for thought" suggestion...
One thing I can think of that might work is to use a small condenser "lapel type" mic close to your guitar and plugged into your phone with an extension. The phone provides the voltage to power these mics, which operate just like using a headset with your phone. Some of those small condensers actually sound pretty good and are inexpensive. I have all the stuff to do this and I should probably try it for myself to see how it works. I was going to do this, but since I'm pulling the phone video into Reaper to do the video editing it's very little problem to simply record the audio seperately. I use a Tascam DR-05 for that.

Ninty-nine percent of the time combining separately recorded audio is going to get you a better result, but if you only want to use the phone video you can import your phone video into a DAW such as Reaper and use the plug-ins on the audio track for EQ, boosting level, applying stereo reverb, etc. to make the audio more tolerable.

I would imagine almost any video software would allow you to edit the audio but I'm not familiar with any other than Reaper.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-30-2021 at 04:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD