The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-07-2021, 05:46 PM

Default Gotohs on a National?

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with replacing the tuners on a National Style O (solid - not slotted headstock) with something more modern like a set of Gotohs?

I read somewhere that there was a set of Gotohs that were pretty much drop in replacements, but can't remember where I saw that.

The stock tuners are just.....meh.
They're not very smooth to say the least, and since I change tunings often, it would be much better for performances.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with replacing the tuners on a National Style O (solid - not slotted headstock) with something more modern like a set of Gotohs?

I read somewhere that there was a set of Gotohs that were pretty much drop in replacements, but can't remember where I saw that.

The stock tuners are just.....meh.
They're not very smooth to say the least, and since I change tunings often, it would be much better for performances.
From what I've read, Waverly are the best
Old 07-10-2021, 09:47 AM

I have Stewmacs retro tuners on my '32 Style O National. But I just replaced the 17 year old Grover Staytights, on my old Martin OM-42, (because the Grovers were no longer staying tight), with Gotahs rather than Waverlys. I think Waverlys are really overpriced and that Gotahs are really good tuners and priced at about half of Waverlys.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-11-2021, 10:27 PM

Sgt. Pepper, I swapped out the stock tuners on my National M2 for some Gotohs and was very pleased with the improvement to the tuning. I wasn’t trying to get direct drop-in replacements, I just used some closed gear Gotohs I had onhand.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-15-2021, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I put some gotohs on my recording king - worked out very nicely. They are the open back sx series which are available in a range of configurations from Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies. It took a little research to find the most appropriate configuration of the instrument (bushing sizes etc)
Old 07-19-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
From what I've read, Waverly are the best
They have reputation (and price!) but they are not great, IMO. I had them on 2 guitars and found them stiff and not very accurate.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 07-19-2021, 02:57 PM

I'm not interested in Waverlies at all - I know of too many folks that have had issues with them, and the price is WAY too much for me.

I'm not opposed to ditching the vintage 3 on a plate style for a more modern sealed tuner, such as the Gotoh 510's.

Hopefully, I can find some to drop in without doing a lot of modifications.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I have Stewmacs retro tuners on my '32 Style O National. But I just replaced the 17 year old Grover Staytights, on my old Martin OM-42, (because the Grovers were no longer staying tight), with Gotahs rather than Waverlys. I think Waverlys are really overpriced and that Gotahs are really good tuners and priced at about half of Waverlys.
Waverly has had some quality control problems of late, and Gotohs are considerably more consistent quality wise. I used their engraved luxury tuners on my Zemaits guitars are they are ridiculously smooth!

These are the ones that I used on my Zemaitis guitars (based on the 510 model)

Old 07-19-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
I'm not interested in Waverlies at all - I know of too many folks that have had issues with them, and the price is WAY too much for me.

I'm not opposed to ditching the vintage 3 on a plate style for a more modern sealed tuner, such as the Gotoh 510's.

Hopefully, I can find some to drop in without doing a lot of modifications.
these should work...

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...chines-nickel/
Old 07-19-2021, 08:54 PM

Wanted to put some new open back butter bean tuners on my 1992 Style O. Originals are Grovers. Bought Waverlys, but would have to drill new holes so I said forget it.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:45 PM

I can attest first hand that Gotoh SX open back tuners are in fact better than Waverly tuners. I have had Waverly tuners on various guitars past and present. I recently added some Gotoh's SX open back tuners to a 70's Alvarez and they are absolutely fantastic tuners. Smooth like butter and hold tune all month long. Fit in finish is excellent on the SXs. I would pick Gotoh's all day long over Waverly tuners.

I will say Waverly's customer service is hands down the best in the business though. So there is that...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments