The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-15-2021, 02:42 PM
frankmcr frankmcr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 3,817
Default Fender Dhani Harrison Signature Ukulele

Submitted for your consideration.



(Outdoor scenes obviously filmed on a typical English summer day . . . )
__________________
Kalamazoo Sport Model
Martin 0-28VS
Martin 0-18KH
Danelectro Dano Pro reissue
Vega lap steel
Maui Music CM concert ukulele
Hollokoi Lajos citera
Tom Yocky dulcimer

Last edited by frankmcr; 06-16-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2021, 05:46 PM
chrislongAgain chrislongAgain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 123
Default

NO idea if these will be any good.
i don't even play uke, altho i'm considering.
i like how they look, they're plugin/amp ready, and i love that 3/4 body depth.
i don't expect that they'll offer the very best tone for the buck, but i could be wrong. regardless, i think they look FUN, and to me that's a huge selling point.
ymmv.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2021, 11:06 AM
Brent Hahn Brent Hahn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,224
Default

"It's a real rite of passage when you get handed your first Signature Model."
__________________
Originals

Couch Standards
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-23-2021, 06:58 PM
Wade Hampton Wade Hampton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chugiak, Alaska
Posts: 29,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
"It's a real rite of passage when you get handed your first Signature Model."
Yeah, I noticed that. I guess I havenít had that particular rite of passage yet, and since it hasnít happened yet at this age, I suspect it wonítÖ..


whm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-24-2021, 10:10 AM
Brent Hahn Brent Hahn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,224
Default

Interesting choice of words. He seems like a nice enough fella, but he "got handed" his first signature model for the same reason he's gotten handed a whole lot else.
__________________
Originals

Couch Standards
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2021, 09:29 AM
rdamato rdamato is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Interesting choice of words. He seems like a nice enough fella, but he "got handed" his first signature model for the same reason he's gotten handed a whole lot else.
Many people have been "Handed" everything they have. But, it's what you do with it that counts. He seems like a grounded, well rounded human being who lost his Dad at a relatively young age.
My Dad died two years ago at 91 and I was 61. You have no idea what I would give up to spend another day with him.

Don't be too judgemental of Dhani's genetics. He didn't choose them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2021, 10:00 AM
Denny B's Avatar
Denny B Denny B is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,901
Default

Not disparaging the guy (he is talented, but I seriously doubt he'd enjoy the same status if not for his lineage) but this kind of seems to me to be another example of a fortunate son being born on third base, and then being treated as if he hit a triple...
__________________
"Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2021, 10:38 AM
Brent Hahn Brent Hahn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdamato View Post
Many people have been "Handed" everything they have. But, it's what you do with it that counts. He seems like a grounded, well rounded human being who lost his Dad at a relatively young age.
My Dad died two years ago at 91 and I was 61. You have no idea what I would give up to spend another day with him.

Don't be too judgemental of Dhani's genetics. He didn't choose them.
I'm sorry that you lost your dad, and that Dhani lost his. And that I lost mine, for that matter. But my point would be the same if all three of our dads were still here.

And I think Dhani seems like a good guy with a good heart, no knocking his DNA on that count.

But I can't believe that Fender left that line in. Well actually I can, it's a marketing piece, not a documentary. But to allow him to not only say "get handed" but to follow it with "... your first signature model," makes him appear both entitled and clueless. And I don't think Fender would have sold any fewer ukuleles by leaving it out.
__________________
Originals

Couch Standards
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-23-2021, 09:58 PM
jimmy bookout jimmy bookout is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: charlotte, n.c.
Posts: 2,455
Default

So...you guys are bothered, mad, put out, whatever that George Harrison's son got a signature model ukulele from Fender...and an INEXPENSIVE signature model at that. If this ukulele was a $2,500 retail item, then the howls would be of a different thought, but howls none the less.

With everything going on in this world, this is a pretty sad thing to get wound up about
__________________
Avian Skylark
Pono 0000-30
Gardiner Parlor
Kremona "Kiano"
Ramsay Classical
Cordoba C10
Eastman Pagelli PG2
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120-1959
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Voyage Air OM4

Ukuleles:
Kanilea K3 Koa Super Concert
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Mainland Tenor
Willie Wixom Tenor
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
ALL LEFTIES
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-24-2021, 10:18 AM
Denny B's Avatar
Denny B Denny B is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
So...you guys are bothered, mad, put out, whatever that George Harrison's son got a signature model ukulele from Fender...and an INEXPENSIVE signature model at that. If this ukulele was a $2,500 retail item, then the howls would be of a different thought, but howls none the less.

With everything going on in this world, this is a pretty sad thing to get wound up about
I can't speak for anyone else, but I simply made an observation about the topic, and promptly forgot about it...I didn't give it any thought before or after...

You shouldn't let the opinions of others get you wound up...
__________________
"Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-24-2021, 10:44 AM
Kerbie Kerbie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 26,474
Default

Come on, guys... back to the ukulele.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-04-2021, 09:48 AM
gmel555 gmel555 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 1,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Come on, guys... back to the ukulele.
Thank you Kerbie. If Dhani and Fender have gotten together and managed to put together a quality uke for $279, I applaud it. George LOVED ukes and if Dhani passes that onward in some way, I support it. I certainly understand traditionalists may not like the look but I'm hoping to try one out if/when I run across one in a store.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-04-2021, 02:05 PM
Brent Hahn Brent Hahn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
Thank you Kerbie. If Dhani and Fender have gotten together and managed to put together a quality uke for $279, I applaud it. George LOVED ukes and if Dhani passes that onward in some way, I support it. I certainly understand traditionalists may not like the look but I'm hoping to try one out if/when I run across one in a store.
I love the look of it, both the headstock and the color. I played one recently and it was well made but didn't sound nearly as good as the $200 Cordoba hanging next to it. But yes, if the marketing campaign results in people taking up an instrument who wouldn't otherwise, good for them.
__________________
Originals

Couch Standards
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2021, 09:45 PM
beatcomber beatcomber is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Lexington, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,236
Default

One has to wonder what Fender's motivation was here. It's not like Dhani Harrison has millions of fans that are that into his music, and ukuleles are not exactly a hot item in general.

Maybe they're trying to butter him up so that he signs a deal for a George Harrison signature Strat or something?
__________________
2018 L.A. Guitar Sales/Martin Custom Shop CS-00-18S w/Schatten HFN pickup
1959 Gibson L-50 w/ DeArmond Model 41 pickup
2007 Gretsch Americana "Sundown Serenade"
1984 Rickenbacker 330
2002 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2020 Hallmark 65 Custom

1963 Fender Bandmaster (transitional blonde blackface)
2002 Fender '59 Bassman
2012 Fender Excelsior
2020 Mojotone 5F1 Champ (kit build)
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=