The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-30-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Got my Rainsong Jumbo today ! First impression...

I received my new Rainsong JM1000 today. The guitar arrived from Musicians Friend in immaculate condition. And... it was 100 % in tune !
The first thing that impressed me was the perfection of the details and the perfect set-up from the factory. Everything (action, neck relief, nut slots depth, finish, etc...) was absolutely perfect. I am very picky with details and set-up and I bet that this will the first guitar in my life that I will not feel the need to put my hands on.
Kudos to Rainsong for the high-class attention to detail, and also to Musicians Friend for sending me a guitar which was visibly super new and "fresh" from the Rainsong factory.
Now... I played the guitar for two hours...and I am absolutelu blown away.
I thought it was difficult to beat the tone and sound of my Emerald Opus X-30, but...after having compared the two, I must say that the Rainsong JM1000 is a winner. Yes I should play the guitar for a few more days, however it seems to me that everything, tone, playability, sustain, balance between trebles and basses, volume), is absolutely first class. With no intention to criticize the new Rainsong Advanced Series (which I owned for a couple of months) this classic Rainsong is far superior.
And I am just talking of the UNLPUGGED tone. When I plugged the guitar to my Fender Acoustasonic, I got one more time the confirmation that Rainsong are probably the best guitars in the world as far as amplified sound is concerned. The Baggs Element is great, simple to operate, and provides a wonderful, clean, natural sound.
Well, these are my first impressions...
As you can guess, this evening I am a happy guy.
Thank you for your attention,

gerardo1000

Last edited by gerardo1000; 12-30-2005 at 10:51 PM. Reason: grammar errors
Old 12-30-2005, 09:16 PM

It's wonderful to get a new instrument that meets with your expectations.

Enjoy!

Doc
Old 12-31-2005, 12:22 AM

Quote:
The Baggs Element is great, simple to operate, and provides a wonderful, clean, natural sound.
If it's anything like the Baggs IMix, I understand exactly. Rainsong makes good stuff and someday I want one.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:24 PM

Congrats on the new Rainsong! I played the WS1000, and a dread and a Rainsong 12 a coupla years back, not terribly long after they came out. I was impressed with the sound and projection-and fast neck. They weren't "woody" obviously, but not unpleasant or harsh or "synthetic" sounding to my ear. I rather liked them. But they were a bit above (ok, WELL above) my price point for a good travelin', gigging kinda guitar. I like the fact they don't have to be babied climatologically like some. Anyway--glad you like yours! Many happy years of playing.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 12-31-2005, 12:39 PM

I've been woderin' about these critters. I admit to no knowledge of composite guitars but, I did play an Ovation Graphite once....YUCK!...sounded like doggy dooty to my ears.Had nothing.
Are the Rainsongs or others, like the Emeralds, a considerable improvement over this? Can you expect a great acoustic sound or is it a matter of "aqcuired taste"? Just curious.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:54 PM

dthumb..... well.. it's rather hard to explain... but basically it works like this....

wooden acoustic guitars come with various tops on them.. and while some wood may be "prettier" than other wood, the main reason for different woods is that each of the different woods has a "unique" tone... i'm pretty sure that this is due to each species "Specific Gravity".... basically the denser the wood... the harder it is... and the harder it is... the more frequencies that it DOESN'T absorb.....

so by that rational... say we're comparing a maple topped guitar with a ceder topped guitar...

Maple is denser... so it is naturally going to be a "brighter" sounding instrument than the ceder topped....

Being brighter isn't bad at all... the "Brighter" your sound is, the more harmonic overtones you can hear... on brighter guitars simple chords take on a very rich harmonic complexity.....

kind of like when you've got new strings on a guitar.. if you play an open G on new strings.... it sounds SOOOOOOOO much fuller than when you play an open G on old strings...... the newer strings are producing more harmonic overtones than the old strings...

well the wood that the guitar is made out of does the exact same thing.....

this is why wooden guitars sound "Better" with age..... the older the wood gets... the more it dries out and hardens.... when it's harder, the wood doesn't absorb the harmonic overtones... and BAM.... a better sounding guitar...

well.... imaging buying a new guitar with the OLD guitar sound.... that's what Rainsongs sound like to me....

I've been a Rainsong owner for about a month now... and the newness has worn off... here's the skinny...

Rainsong guitars are wonderfully balanced... up and down the neck... each note is FULL of harmonic overtones (the overtones that normal wood absorbs).... and after playing on the Rainsong.. when i switch to a wooden acoustic.. the wooden guitar sounds muffled... they're muffled because of the absence of the harmonic overtones....

Just this week I was at a music shop (Cornerstone Guitars near Orlando) and i had a chance to A/B a Rainsong DR1000 (Dreadnaught) 2 Mcpheresons, and a couple of Collings....

The Rainsong's strings were older.... the other guitars had new strings on them...

Honestly (I know that i'm going to get flamed for this)... I sat and played the Rainsong for about 5 minutes.... then I played the McPheresons for about 5 minutes... then the Collings.....

The McPheresons were great guitars.... so were the Collings... I liked the Mcpheresons better.... but every guitar I played sounded "Muffled" compared to the Rainsong....

The rainsong had the best balance, volume, playability... etc... I was really impressed with the dreadnaught.... I've got the WS1000.. it's a cutaway.. and it doesn't have the bass response that the DR1000 does....

Honestly... right now.... if i had to pick a guitar out to be the one that i'd play for the rest of my life.... I'd probably pick the Rainsong DR1000... next in line might be the JM1000 (What this thread is about)...

basically... it's not an "acquired taste"... if you like full rich sounding notes and chords.... than the Rainsongs are for you..

by the way.... the notes and chords are so clean that you really can hear it when you mess up.. I think that this is the reason why the majority of people don't like them.... trust me... it's not very much fun when your guitar reminds you of how bad you really are.... but it sure does sound beautiful when i do hit the right notes...

2 cents... hope it helps..
Old 12-31-2005, 02:07 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats on the new Rainsong! Bet you make your fingers sore this week playing your new guitar. That's what always happens to me.

714ce LTD/SPEC
810 -SOLD-
1991 Takamine EN-10 (AN)
Mid-Mo M2 mandolin
1989 Valley Arts Strat
1988 Fender American Tele
Old 12-31-2005, 02:23 PM

Dthumb, I agree with Weirdone's opinion. Yes, you CAN expect great acoustic tone from Rainsong, CA and Emerald guitars. Which are the best ? Well, you have to decide. It's like comparing a Martin with a Taylor. But nobody can deny that these carbon fiber built guitars offer outstanding tone and playability.
Having owned guitars from all three brands, here is my personal opinion:
CA: great if you are looking for that "old Martin" dreadnought sound.
Emerald: great balance between trebles and basses. Gorgeous looks. Not as loud as Rainsong and CA guitars.
Rainsong: the more versatile range of guitars: OM, dreads, Grand Auditorium, Jumbo.
The highest quality of materials. The loudest in the group.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdOne
dthumb..... well.. it's rather hard to explain... but basically it works like this....

wooden acoustic guitars come with various tops on them.. and while some wood may be "prettier" than other wood, the main reason for different woods is that each of the different woods has a "unique" tone... i'm pretty sure that this is due to each species "Specific Gravity".... basically the denser the wood... the harder it is... and the harder it is... the more frequencies that it DOESN'T absorb.....

so by that rational... say we're comparing a maple topped guitar with a ceder topped guitar...

Maple is denser... so it is naturally going to be a "brighter" sounding instrument than the ceder topped....

Being brighter isn't bad at all... the "Brighter" your sound is, the more harmonic overtones you can hear... on brighter guitars simple chords take on a very rich harmonic complexity.....

kind of like when you've got new strings on a guitar.. if you play an open G on new strings.... it sounds SOOOOOOOO much fuller than when you play an open G on old strings...... the newer strings are producing more harmonic overtones than the old strings...

well the wood that the guitar is made out of does the exact same thing.....

this is why wooden guitars sound "Better" with age..... the older the wood gets... the more it dries out and hardens.... when it's harder, the wood doesn't absorb the harmonic overtones... and BAM.... a better sounding guitar...

well.... imaging buying a new guitar with the OLD guitar sound.... that's what Rainsongs sound like to me....

I've been a Rainsong owner for about a month now... and the newness has worn off... here's the skinny...

Rainsong guitars are wonderfully balanced... up and down the neck... each note is FULL of harmonic overtones (the overtones that normal wood absorbs).... and after playing on the Rainsong.. when i switch to a wooden acoustic.. the wooden guitar sounds muffled... they're muffled because of the absence of the harmonic overtones....

Just this week I was at a music shop (Cornerstone Guitars near Orlando) and i had a chance to A/B a Rainsong DR1000 (Dreadnaught) 2 Mcpheresons, and a couple of Collings....

The Rainsong's strings were older.... the other guitars had new strings on them...

Honestly (I know that i'm going to get flamed for this)... I sat and played the Rainsong for about 5 minutes.... then I played the McPheresons for about 5 minutes... then the Collings.....

The McPheresons were great guitars.... so were the Collings... I liked the Mcpheresons better.... but every guitar I played sounded "Muffled" compared to the Rainsong....

The rainsong had the best balance, volume, playability... etc... I was really impressed with the dreadnaught.... I've got the WS1000.. it's a cutaway.. and it doesn't have the bass response that the DR1000 does....

Honestly... right now.... if i had to pick a guitar out to be the one that i'd play for the rest of my life.... I'd probably pick the Rainsong DR1000... next in line might be the JM1000 (What this thread is about)...

basically... it's not an "acquired taste"... if you like full rich sounding notes and chords.... than the Rainsongs are for you..

by the way.... the notes and chords are so clean that you really can hear it when you mess up.. I think that this is the reason why the majority of people don't like them.... trust me... it's not very much fun when your guitar reminds you of how bad you really are.... but it sure does sound beautiful when i do hit the right notes...

2 cents... hope it helps..
Thanks ,weirdOne, yes, that does help.
I've been curious about composite instruments but, until now, have never heard an explanation like that.Very interesting, indeed. I think, however, at least for the time being I'll stick to my "conventional" guitars. I like the mellownes of wood. But, the next time I have a chance to play a Rainsong I certainly will take some time to do so.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 PM

I am just one guitar sale away from buying my Rainsong. I am leaning heavily toward a great OM that I played locally. I am normally a dread and jumbo guy, but this little beauty really sounds great unplugged and plugged.

Good to hear you love yours. I didn't need much help with my decision, but this thread certainly doesn't hurt.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:10 PM

Mark, good luck with your future Rainsong OM. I am looking forward to read your detailed review once you get it. I was very undecided if to order a Jumbo or an OM. I finally decided for the Jumbo because I already own an Emerald OM (the X-10) and also because I read a few reviews at HarmonyCentral where OM owners, though they like their guitar, complained a bit about a certain lack of low end when the guitar is unplugged (and I play mainly unplugged). How was the OM that you have played
regarding the balance between basses and trebles ?
Old 01-01-2006, 02:44 PM

I thought the balance was pretty good. Although I am looking at this guitar for situations where any difference probably won't be noticed.

It sounded fantastic plugged in, but I alrady have a great 710 if I need that lower grumble.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:51 PM

Spent some time at another dealer today playing some Rainsongs. I may well be leaning now towards the jumbo. Man, what a fantastic sound! It is loud with great balance. I had thought I wanted a smaller body for playing in more intimate situations, but the jumbo really sits in your lap nicely if you are seated and really isn't all THAT much bigger. Same price for any body style.

My latest attempt to sell my 415 on eBay is almost up. Very close to making my reserve. Keep your fingers crossed and I might be playing my new Rainsong by this weekend.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:58 PM

Gerardo1000,

Congratulations on your Rainsong, and thanks for sharing. Always wondered about those. It's great to get somebody's feedback. Happy playing, man!

Martin
Old 01-11-2006, 07:42 PM

MJH,

Congratulations with your choice of a Rainsong Jumbo.
I bet that you will be very very happy. I am happier every day that
I play it.

gerardo1000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber