The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Humanist

Default A custom Michaud 00-R for LP...

Thread update from the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I needed Joel to make some slight modifications to the guitar (my issues, not Joel's), so a few days ago I packed 'er up and sent the guitar back towards Calgary...and in-route it was essentially destroyed.

The details are pretty much irrelevant. A great little guitar has ceased to exist.

As Vonnegut said, "So it goes."

Thanks to all who checked-in here, and to those that played the 00-R at the SBAIC.
In trying to deal with my ongoing ergonomic-issues I decided quite some time back that a 00 sized guitar was likely going to be necessary to combat back (and other) pain even when sitting flat-footed, and using the GuitaRest support device that I discovered a couple/three years ago.

At various times over the years Simon Fay and I have discussed my wanting a smaller body than his OM sized guitars, which I have used for the past 5-6 years (the Model One is his current offering), but ultimately Simon has wanted to stick with the one body size...and I can only respect his decision on that, since he has closed his wait-list for maybe another 4 years...and since Simon and I have been good friends for 7-8 years or more, I'm *so* glad that he has had this well-deserved respect & success.

In chatting with Simon about where else I might look, one of his recommendations was for me to chat directly with Joel Michaud. I mean, I have any number of friends in the building community, but I wanted to find someone already experienced with the 00 size (as a regular model...not a lot of builders have this), and also someone that would consider a cutaway on the small-body, along with a number of other features oriented towards *my* particular issues.

I did chat with a few builders, but literally *everything* came together (quite a while back) in my initial (and subsequent) conversations with Joel.

We not only traded thoughts, ideas, and specs, but covered fairly thoroughly *my* needs, why I needed this stuff, and then Joel fit things into how he would like to approach all of it. We had some great, wide-ranging conversations that led to the inevitable wait-list, and now ultimately the beginning of the process for the build...hopefully to be completed in time for the SBAIC (Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration), at the end o' September.

So it's going to be a Michaud 00-R, with the following:

24" scale
13 frets to the body
1-13/16" nut width
2-1/4" bridge pin spacing
2-5/16" neck/fingerboard width @ 12th fret
Fingerboard radius 20"
"Scoop/recessed" upper-fingerboard treatment
Cutaway
Arm-bevel shifted towards the waist of the guitar
3-1/4" depth at neckblock, 4" depth at tailblock
Custom 21:1 Alessi tuners

There were some other particulars that I don't need to mention...mostly set-up stuff.

Oh yeah, I forget that you guys like to drool over woods:
Uhm, it's going to be some straight-grained Honduran Rosewood, and then some kind of Euro-spruce...I will let Joel pick the top, in fact, based on *his* knowledge and preferences...with Joel taking into account my style and touch. We haven't discussed binding/purfling...I also trust Joel to deliver something aesthetically pleasing in this regard.

Other aesthetic appointments to be decided as we get further into things (or Joel will *tell* me what he is doing!), but Joel has been using some treated/colored metals, which certainly will be a part of things here. This won't be a fancy show-guitar, with lots of ornamentation, but will be more of a subtle presentation of what Joel can do. He'll have other, more elaborate, guitars at the show...I'm sure...and maybe a surprise or two!

So that's the scoop. I'm excited to get this build underway, and of course the end-results will be the *most* excitement for me...hopefully, again, to be finished and on-display (and in use) at the SBAIC at the end of September.

Here's the Honduran:

Drawings of the front & back shape, with a little detail:

More photos (etc.) to come as Joel moves through his build process. I haven't made any specific photo requests, but I'll post whatever Joel sends my way that would seem to be of interest here...!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 11-29-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I look forward to watching it develop Larry. Also, very nice back set...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 06-11-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Sounds great Larry. September isn't a very wait at all. Anxious to watch this one.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Lucky lucky you!

As that great sage Tom Petty says..."The Waiting is the Hardest Part."
Old 06-11-2016, 01:28 PM

Congrats Larry! Joel's gonna deliver the magic no doubt! I met him and Simon for the first time at the Memphis show last year and was blown away by their work.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:41 PM

Congrats! Will surely follow this one, Larry!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-11-2016, 05:04 PM

Honduras Rosewood (assuming D. Stevensonii) is a terrific tonewood. I have a 14 fret 00 with his wood and love it. Look forward to this thread .. thanks for sharing.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

I just love it when two of my favorites- in this case, a Master of poetry rendered in music (Larry Pattis) and Joel Michaud, a Master of musical art rendered in wood, get together on a new project. EVERYONE prospers from an arrangement like this. Especially those of us who get to watch and listen to the process.

Larry, you are going to get a superlative, beautiful instrument; count on it! And Joel, you are going to have an extraordinary and gifted artist playing your next creation.

But then, I guess both of you guys are used to that by now.
Applause to both of you.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:38 AM
Humanist

Thanks to all here, and especially to my two builder friends whose work I greatly-admire, and who have chimed in here. You guys are the definition of "professional" (and of "good people") in my book.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 06-12-2016, 09:03 AM

Very cool, Larry! I'm trying to work out a trip to SB for the event . . . .!!! Tim
Old 06-12-2016, 03:14 PM

I have Joel's Moon-Tree 00r with a scoop. I love it. I think you are going to get a great guitar Larry. Hopefully one you can play the rest of your life.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Larry! This should be a lot of fun to watch, and I am glad you'll be getting something that will comfortably allow you to continue making beautiful music.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-12-2016, 04:08 PM

I like looking at the drawing. The shape looks just right and pleasing. You are on to something good here I think. I wish you both the best in this endeavor!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! Great looking piece of Rosewood there. Need to try one of his guitars some day.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:07 PM

Default A custom Michaud 00-R for LP...

Congratulations Larry!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop