The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 PM

Default The Best Capo

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd throw a question out there to start things off. What are your thoughts on the best brand/type of capo? I'm using D'addario/Planet Waves Capo Lites lately, but they seem to wear out pretty quick for me. I'm playing or teaching around 5 days a week. I'm using them on acoustics. Thanks guys...and gals!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:28 PM

Shubb. Have used the same ones for about 30 years, never a problem
or part replacement. A slam dunk no-brainer to me. They work very well.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:31 PM

Welcome to the forum.
You're certain to get a bunch of replies with a bunch of different names and price ranges and I wish you the best of luck sorting them out!

I use the non-light version of the capo you mentioned and it's done a good job, but I don't teach or have other heavy usage.

I've also used a Shubb, same opinion. Works well.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:34 PM

In my opinion, Bill Stoke's Showcase capo is unparalleled: http://www.billstokesshowcase.com/Capos.html As I understand it, he was making the McKinney Capo before Elliot picked it up. Phil Elliot's McKinney Capo would be a close second: http://elliottcapos.com/CaposMcKinney.html
Old 01-25-2015, 11:06 PM

Shubb. If you wear out rubber piece they offer replacement.
Second in line for me is Victor capo by Dunlop.
Both adjust nicely and if put on properly do not cause strings to go sharp. Work well for bends too.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF! Elliott Elite is the best capo IMO.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 PM

I have Shubb capos in the case pockets of every guitar, mandolin and banjo I own. Whenever a new capo design gets introduced on the market, I rush out and get one, but I invariably end up going back to the Shubb capos.

They work well, they're virtually indestructible, you can find them in any music store, and they don't make the strings go sharp when you use them.

I'm a fan and a longtime Shubb capo user, and I strongly recommend them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 PM

Another vote for Elliot capos. I own one and have yet to find one better.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

My favorite capo is the G7th Performance, for most of my applications. I also have a couple Shubbs that I use as backups. For me the G7th is faster and easier to use, not that a capo is complicated, but the G7th is compact and fast for one-handed operation, which I dig in between songs. I have two of the original G7th, which I thought were fantastic, but some folks thought it was heavy and bulky -- they fixed that with the Performance 2, which is thinner and lighter. Also, these are visually clean if you care about that. However, function is most important to me. Also, want to point out another important aspect, the customer service ... not like this is a PC, but when I had a problem with my recent new (4th) Performance 2, they quickly offered to replace it no questions asked. So they stand behind the product, and that is important when you are paying a bit more (these are mid range piece wise)

... if you want cheap (or more affordable) go for the Planet Waves, which is inferior from a quality and durability stand point IMO, but they get the job done most of the time (I keep a couple of these on hand to loan out). The Shubbs I have are also very tough and both have stood up to a few years now of pretty frequent use. If you want straight toward functionality, the Shubb may be perfect, and they're also on the lower mid range price wise. Of course you can spend $150 or more for capos, and some very specialized application capos, and I do not have experience there, so take it for what that is, and of course YMMV.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 01-25-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincerelyiris View Post
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd throw a question out there to start things off. What are your thoughts on the best brand/type of capo? I'm using D'addario/Planet Waves Capo Lites lately, but they seem to wear out pretty quick for me. I'm playing or teaching around 5 days a week. I'm using them on acoustics. Thanks guys...and gals!
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ArtistCapo
Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 AM

I don't know… I have a Planet Waves parked behind the nut of any of my guitars (plus some spare…), and never had one fail on me.
But I use the regular metal model (not the "light" plastic model)

I like them because :
- I can put and remove it fast and with one hand
- when controlling exactly the pressure
- and they are visually non obtrusive

Since I never put a capo after the 5th fret, I cut them for the necessary width of any given guitar, so there is no protruding part that get in the way of the fretting hand.

I own also half a dozen Shubb, very good and well made, but you need two hands to use it, cannot park it behind the nut, and, although the pressure is controllable, it's only for a given position.

BTW I have a drawer with pretty much any brand of capos known to man, and, just like Wade, feel the urge to buy any new model...

I only use the Planet Waves nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 01-26-2015, 12:41 AM

Been using an Elliot for a few years now after more than twenty with
Shubbs. Still using Shubbs. The Shubbs seem to keep things in tune a bit better. Too bad. The Elliot is a beautiful piece of machinery.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
I don't know… I have a Planet Waves parked behind the nut of any of my guitars (plus some spare…), and never had one fail on me.
But I use the regular metal model (not the "light"

BTW I have a drawer with pretty much any brand of capos known to man, and, just like Wade, feel the urge to buy any new model...

I only use the Planet Waves nowadays.
Jean-Paul, which PW model do you use now? I also try out most reasonably priced capos, and the one I haven't tried is a recent one- hand clamp -- the two I still have require two hands and are lightweight. Seems like the fan base is growing :-)

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 AM

I have four guitars and eight or nine capos.

Yes the Shubb isn't the most convenient. Yes it takes two hands to use.
But it and the Victor are probably the best.

I just got my first Paige for my 12.
It is about then best I've used for that purpose.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 01-26-2015, 04:51 AM

I have three; the old faithful Shubb, Planet Waves NS Pro and G7th Performance 2. The Shubb is most used with the NS next and the G7th not much. I was very kindly sent the G7th by Mr.G7th when he found out through the forum that my old model had expired. I actually preferred the older, heavier version. It seemed more 'positive' to me.
As for which is 'best' I guess that's for the user to decide-they all do the same job but in different ways. I avoid the Kyser 'Death Grip' capo like the plague as I do all non-adjustable capos.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, capo, capo's, d'addario, newbie