The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Looper location

Posted in another thread but not really apropos:
Looking at Fishman Mini or Artist. The Mini only has one 1/4 input on the back labeled "AUX" which I 'm assuming is an input only. Use it for what?

The artist has a dedicated "effects loop" in and out for each channel, and a "foot switch" input.
I'm getting a looper. On the mini, can I put it in-between the guitar and the guitar input (1/4) on the amp to get the desired looping effect?

If the above is true, can I/should I use one of the "effects loop" or "foot switch", and if so, how would I rig the looper?

Anybody got an artist they want to get rid of?

Thanks
Scott
Old 07-11-2018, 05:07 PM

Generally it goes, Guitar->Looper->Amp.

I've never used the Aux "In" on the Mini so I just tried it. I plugged the Aux "Out" on my mixer into the Mini, the Mini is serving as a floor monitor for the mixer. Next I plugged a Ditto 2x looper into the Aux "In" on the mini with my guitar going into the looper. It loops but there's no tone control by using the Mini's tone shaping functions.

It seems the Aux "In" on the mini would be best utilized for a drum pedal or some other type of backing track device.

I have no experience with the Artist.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 07-11-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:23 PM

The Loudbox Mini does not have an effect loop unlike its bigger brothers. You put your pedals in your guitar line.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 07-11-2018, 09:27 PM

Default Artist loop effects jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
The Loudbox Mini does not have an effect loop unlike its bigger brothers. You put your pedals in your guitar line.
So, if I get an artist, how would I rig a looper?
Out of guitar into looper, out of looper into effects in, out of effects in to...where? Guitar channel on front? And this would give me tone and shape control of the loop track AND the guitar?

Thanks
Scott
Old 07-11-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
So, if I get an artist, how would I rig a looper?
Out of guitar into looper, out of looper into effects in, out of effects in to...where? Guitar channel on front? And this would give me tone and shape control of the loop track AND the guitar?

Thanks
Scott
The usual way to do this is to plug your guitar into your looper and then the looper into one of the regular guitar inputs on your amp.

You can, however, also put the looper into the effects loop of the amp (to do that you take a guitar cable from the "effects send" into the looper and then from the looper into the "effects return"). This effects loop is usually used for effects that for one reason or another you want to come in at a later spot in your signal train For example, the effects loop on the Fishman Artist comes after the preamp and the EQ, but before the onboard effects of the amp are mixed into the signal. I'm not sure it will make much of a difference with a looper, but some other types of effect might sound better to getting that preamped and EQ'ed signal rather than just the signal as it comes directly from your pickup before the preamp the EQ. Some might not. There are no hard and fast rules. You just have to try different set-ups to see what differences they might make.

The Aux input on the Fishman amps is for a signal that you want to put through the amp without it going through any of the amp's own processing (preamp, EQ, or effects). It goes right to the power amp (the final stage of amplification) and from there to the speaker. It's also designed to take a stereo signal and to sum it to mono. Most people use it to plug in a device like an iPhone for playing incidental music between their sets or for adding backing tracks to play over or for practice.

The Footswitch input is for hooking up a switch that lets you turn the onboard effects on the amp on and off.

For more information here is the Loudbox Artist manual:

https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/u...User-Guide.pdf

Here's the one for the Mini:

https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/u...User-Guide.pdf

Louis
Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
Posted in another thread but not really apropos:
Looking at Fishman Mini or Artist. The Mini only has one 1/4 input on the back labeled "AUX" which I 'm assuming is an input only. Use it for what?

The artist has a dedicated "effects loop" in and out for each channel, and a "foot switch" input.
I'm getting a looper. On the mini, can I put it in-between the guitar and the guitar input (1/4) on the amp to get the desired looping effect?

If the above is true, can I/should I use one of the "effects loop" or "foot switch", and if so, how would I rig the looper?

Anybody got an artist they want to get rid of?

Thanks
Scott
It's easy to over-think this and get confused. If no effects loop, or you have one but don't use it, do as everyone says and just put the looper before the amp. Or after it, really, it doesn't matter if you're playing clean with no effects.

But let's say you have an effects loop and you put a reverb and delay pedal in it, and you want the loops you record to include those effects; then just put the looper as the last thing in the loop, as if it were just another pedal (which it is).

So: the looper simply records whatever is upstream of it, and engaged while it is recording.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:17 AM

Use the effects loop. If no loop, then put it as the last thing before it goes into the amp. If you have no effects pedals, just put it between your guitar and amp.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:35 AM

Default Thanks

for the cogent replies. The language is new to me, the engineering is a bit of a mystery (I think in doohickeys and thingamabobs), and the jargon of the experienced can get in the way.

Eyeballing Ebay and Reverb for likely candidates. Was at the GC fiddling with both models yesterday. Very nice units. The artist may be a bit of overkill for my needs, but a wise man in my line of work (aviation) once said there is no such thing as too much fuel, power, or runway.

Cheers
Scott

Last edited by sbmackie; 07-12-2018 at 07:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification