The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-26-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I used to play thru a Fender Hot Rod Delux... hated it !I need something small . when I do have the rare gig with electric guitar , I'd like something carryable! and also something that sounds good at home... these amps are huge you guys suggest... any others?
I will reiterate the Vox MV50 series and the bc108 cab. 9 lbs combined and will easily keep up with a Blues Jr in volume and tone department. Smallest, great sounding rig I have played through. If the AC is too dark, the boutique (sounds like a Dumble) or the clean may be your taste.

Ibanez AC240, Alvarez MFA70, RK RP-06
Gretsch Boxcar, RK ROS-10, Alvarez LJ2E
Vox MV50 AC, Vox BC112, Vox BC108, Roland Cube street EX, Fender Passport Mini
G&L Tribute Bluesboy, G&L Tribute Ascari GT90

Our website with audio clips - updated 6/7/18

My Solo site - Roy Alderman Music -Updated 6/10/18
Old 06-26-2018, 07:10 PM

Default fender on fender

I'll profess a preference for blackface clean tones. The Princeton Reverb Reissue weighs 34 lbs, and with the right ceramic speaker can be plenty loud to gig in many situations. Also available with 12 a inch speaker in special edition models. The Deluxe Reverb is a terrific amp. Slightly bigger cab, 7 more lbs and 7 more watts but an absolutely heavenly tone. I own both of these amps and started with a Blues Junior, but haven't touched it since tasting the DRRI. Save a little more and shop used as others have suggested. You won't regret the extra $$$ once you play one.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
i bought this KATANA" amp by Boss to play my tele thru . don't like it . it's too "techy" . i just want a basic tube amp around the $500 mark . what do ya think? thanks.
The katana amp has a bit of a learning curve. If you have the patience to try some low tech settings with your Telecaster, you might be pleasantly surprised. I hated mine at first, but found many very exciting sounds.
I got a new American telecaster last year to replace my aging 1988 one. The new one was quite an upgrade from the one I've played for 30 years, in just about every way. Best results for me are a Carr Skylark, or my old 1965 Fender b/f deluxe reverb. Just jive perfectly with a Telecaster.
Good luck.
2014 Collings OM 2 HG
2015 Breedlove Oregon Concert CE 25th anniv.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:35 AM

i did sell the Katana yesterday.just going to settle for something i can play at home....small!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars