The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
This post is my last here at this forum. To all of you who been friends thank you. It's time for me to move on. All the best.
Best of luck to you and maybe we will see you down the road.

Jayne
Old 06-25-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Mr. Jelly and Wyllys,

please stop accusing me of having a mental disorder. It's obnoxious at best. Thanks.
Nobody has made any such accusation. Several including myself have observed that the level of satisfaction derived from the time spent hints at excessive effort. IME/O, there is the likelihood that what you're learning leans toward frustration.

The gist of my previous post was to find something consistently pleasing to you and to return to it periodically to relax and enjoy. If the higher percenage of time is spent sweating it out, you're simply learning how to sweat.

Maybe have a beer...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This post is my last here at this forum. To all of you who have been friends thank you. It's time for me to move on. All the best.
It's ok if you go back on your word on this Doug. I'm not holding you to this and my bet is no one else is either.

It's easy to go overboard on stuff we enjoy.

I've given my thoughts on this already, but here it is from another angle -scale it back.

Pick 1 song. Yes, just 1 song. And not the hardest one either. Maybe a 3 to 4 page piece.

Learn to play it almost exactly as the original artist. No rush, no pressure, but the goal is to nail it.

Work on it for 2 days, then take a day off from it. Play half as much and play easier stuff for fun one night, then work on the "goal" song again for another 2 days, then take a day off completely.

Once you get the song where you feel it is good enough to record then record it, but don't post it any where. Keep playing it for 2 to 3 more weeks and see what things you can embellish, make it your own. Then do a few recordings of it and compare it to the first one and see what you like best and then post it.

This isn't easy to do. I struggle with it, but I'm trying. It is a lot easier than playing 60 songs in 2 hours though and you'll probably have an easier job with this than me as you are more disciplined than I am.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write