The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Default Thinking about getting a custom built in the UK... Advice?

Hey,

So I'm 30 in 18 months and thought it might be nice to have a custom guitar made as a present to myself.

I already own a Martin om28v, which I adore, so I'd want something that would give me a different feel and sound.

I'm in the UK and want a uk guitar, ideally something under three grand, and something with an 'English' sound.

I've visited Brook guitars as part of my job (I work for a shop over here) and plan to visit Fylde in October, does anyone have any suggestions of anyone else to consider?

Also does anyone have any general advice on having a custom built? I already love my Martin and I wouldn't want anything that made that guitar obsolete, but at the same time I wouldn't want anything that sounds too similar...
Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 PM

I would consider Alister Atkin.

On a side note, being 30 is the best. I wish people could be 30 all their lives.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:46 PM

Off the top of my head, Stefan Sobell (about triple your price point, but still worth mentioning), Nigel Forster , Dave White, and Colin Symonds, who doesn't have a website, but build very English guitars with very old techniques (eg. his Varnish finish is a centuries old recipe and is made by a master varnish maker)
Here's one of his guitars:

Old 08-11-2012, 03:11 PM

I have always wondered about this ..."English sound" ....

You don't get any more English than Martin Carthy, and he has played a Martin all his life ...
Old 08-11-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I have always wondered about this ..."English sound" ....

You don't get any more English than Martin Carthy, and he has played a Martin all his life ...
By 'English' sounding I tend to mean guitars that have an element of 'classicalness' to them, maybe even 'lute-esque'.

By which I mean very clear and clean sound, with less 'growl' than a rosewood Martin say, 'bell-ish' in the trebles and upper mids, and defined bass.

I think Canadee-io by Nic Jones is a good example of this...

Or course, the 'englishness' of the player will shine through on any guitar - see Davey Graham with his j50, Bert Jansch with a variety of martins (00028 I think for the first few albums), custom builds, and then yamahas, and Martin Carthy on his 00018.

I tend to think of an 'english' sound as being more 'polite' than a typical american voiced instrument...
Old 08-11-2012, 04:33 PM

It used to be known as the 'British' Folk guitar which we called either 'Steel String or Flat Top guitars a product of the British Folk Scene, Cedar soundboards were adopted because of it's successful use in classical guitars and seen as more suitable for the British fingerpickers, it was also cheaper thus more suited to a 'Folk' priced guitar Lowden and Fylde etc.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 AM

Well, I'm slightly biassed as I love my two Brook guitars, and I think they are the nicest blokes to deal with, but then you know that already. For a special birthday, if you are thinking of something like an inlay, I don't think anyone comes even close for the quality of their inlay work (just look at the Taw they have just finished featured in this months news).

Another maker worthy of consideration is Taran Guitars. These are handbuilt by one man (Rory Dowling) up in Scotland, and are of comparable quality to Sobell and Forster, but a heck of a lot cheaper (though still more expensive than Brook). You've got to buy into his minimalist design philosophy though.

Robbie
Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 AM

Its interesting that you use the word polite. That's how I have referred to Brook guitars for years.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrobbiej1 View Post
Well, I'm slightly biassed as I love my two Brook guitars, and I think they are the nicest blokes to deal with, but then you know that already. For a special birthday, if you are thinking of something like an inlay, I don't think anyone comes even close for the quality of their inlay work (just look at the Taw they have just finished featured in this months news).

Another maker worthy of consideration is Taran Guitars. These are handbuilt by one man (Rory Dowling) up in Scotland, and are of comparable quality to Sobell and Forster, but a heck of a lot cheaper (though still more expensive than Brook). You've got to buy into his minimalist design philosophy though.

Robbie
Robbie - your 'European' Brook Tavy long scale is what caught my eye regarding Brook in the first place, and your youtube videos make it sound fantastic (though I think a lot of that is your playing!)

I actually live in Devon so Brook is the obvious choice and, having visited the workshop, I can vouch for Andy and Simon's (and their team's) friendliness and workmanship - the guitars are incredibly neat.

I didn't actually have much time to play the guitars, but I remember being impressed by a cherry (I think) Tavy they had there - If I went with them I think something in local cherry, or uk Yew/walnut would be where I started from...
Old 08-12-2012, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Another vote for Colin Symonds here. Who, by the way, also builds world-class lutes. So if your ear is already traveling in that direction he will at least know what you are wanting, and will no doubt be able to help you arrive at that sound.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-12-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
Its interesting that you use the word polite. That's how I have referred to Brook guitars for years.
Trevor, there is certainly room in the world of acoustic guitar for instruments with good manners!

Robbie
Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 AM

Robbie,

You came and played a lot of US and Canadian made guitars. Tell us what you think..
Old 08-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Hello Jack - I've just welcomed you in another place, but couldn't resist chipping in here too.

As you mention the song specifically - for Canadee-i-o, and indeed all of the Penguin Eggs LP, Nic used a Fylde Orsino (cedar/mahogany). Prior to that a Fylde Oberon (spruce/rosewood)was often his main instrument. Later, he used a Fylde Falstaff (spruce/rosewood).

Mr Graham, in the more recent years before he left us, used a Fylde Orsino (live) and a Fylde Falstaff (to record). (I'd have done it the other way round!!)

murrmac - MC plays a Fylde too!

Jack, I'm glad you're going up to Penrith to see Roger!

Keith

Edit - just seen you asked for general advice also, Jack. Obviously play lots of makers work, and be sure you have a very firm idea of what you want to hear from the guitar played as you wish to play it before you make an order. Ensure the maker sees and hears you playing their instruments too.

Last edited by ocarolan; 08-12-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrobbiej1 View Post
^ this.

A lot of guitar for the money; real sole-luthier made for the price of a factory guitar. Impeccable fit and finish. Sound is impeccable also but very idiosyncratic. If you like Sobells/Forsters, you'll like these and vice-versa.

Check out the UK road-trip for Rory's Beag guitar and also Dave White's SamHain; lots of info and YouTube reviews from different players there.

Do let us know what you settle on!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
Robbie,

You came and played a lot of US and Canadian made guitars. Tell us what you think..
Trevor, I'm not sure thats a discussion for here.

Going back to the original question, I know that Fylde would build an absolutely terrific instrument. I once owned a brilliant Eric Bibb signature model, that I had to get rid of in order to fund the replacement of a leaky bathroom. Out of all the guitars I have sold over the years this is one I would certainly like back. It wasn't perfect- the neck width was too narrow for a start, and those plastic bridge pins- yuck! But this is the glory of having an instrument build for you- you can specify almost every aspect of construction, within reason. Having heard O Carolan's beautiful Alexander I can attest that you can't get a more English sounding guitar than that, and absolutely beautiful.

Good luck with the search Jack, and do let us know (either here or on the other forum) how you get on with your Fylde trip,

Robbie

Last edited by ukrobbiej1; 08-12-2012 at 01:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop