The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Default Luthiers Going To Woodstock - What do you hope to bring?

I am already greatly looking forward to the Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase at the end of October. Last year was the first time I had attended - great guitars and great music in a fun town. I wondered if the luthiers that are planning to attend this year's show have plans for the instruments they hope to display and would be willing to share some info and some pics if available. I will be there lending a hand to Sheldon Schwartz (a fine luthier and friend) but plan to "play around the room" over the weekend. Really very excited to see all the luthier's hard work and beautiful instruments but particularly looking forward to seeing more of Laurent Brondel's, Mike Baranik's, and Howard Klepper's guitars as well as Kraut and Kostal. Laurent had an awesome table at the Montreal Guitar Show and I am anxious to see what he has to tempt us at Woodstock - a B3c in mastergrade German Spruce over EIR, Wenge?, Malaysian Blackwood or Gabon Ebony would be a little bit of heaven!

Schwartz Oracle and Oracle SJ / Ryan Nightingale / Schoenberg Sexauer 00/ Martin Custom Shop 00 / Martin Custom Shop 00028-VSC / Schwartz 00 Coming
Old 07-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Always nice taking a ride up the Thruway next to last weekend in October. And the show has become quite prestigious.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Running Dog will probably have another baritone and a new Parlor cutaway (nice Italian spruce picked out during our recent Italian working vacation; birdseye back and sides from my Vermont days). Working on the Concert Gumbo Jumbo:a red spruce Concert with a Louisiana theme. Mmm, crawfish. Maybe I'll get Asbell to do "Such a Night" on it ...
Old 07-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1 View Post
I will be there lending a hand to Sheldon Schwartz (a fine luthier and friend) but plan to "play around the room" over the weekend.
I would second the statement that Sheldon is a "fine luthier." I love my Schwartz Oracle!

It sounds like you are going to have loads of fun in Woodstock.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
I would second the statement that Sheldon is a "fine luthier." I love my Schwartz Oracle!
Glad to know you enjoy your Schwartz - would love to hear more but perhaps that would need a new thread! I have had my Oracle for a little over two years and play it daily - truly amazing fingerstyle guitar! Sheldon just completed a smaller body guitar for me with the Oracle design elements and bracing but with a 15 inch lower bout and 25.5 inch scale rather than 26 inch. It is equally amazing!

Schwartz Oracle and Oracle SJ / Ryan Nightingale / Schoenberg Sexauer 00/ Martin Custom Shop 00 / Martin Custom Shop 00028-VSC / Schwartz 00 Coming
Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

First off let me say that I am fan of Sheldon's work and I too look forward to to seeing his work and of course many of the other offerings

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1 View Post
I wondered if the luthiers that are planning to attend this year's show have plans for the instruments they hope to display and would be willing to share some info and some pics if available. ...
I plan to bring 3 or 4 guitars with me this year. I have two on the bench that I am building specifically for the Woodstock show.

The first one is Redwood Sinker topped, Brazilian Rosewood Back and sides OM. I have not taken many pictures of this one and I have been busy putting it together, but the body is done and the neck is coming together. Hope to get this one ready for finish later this week. (I will take some pics later)

The second on on the bench is Sapelle SJ. I only have the rim made and back braced. I am working on some details for the top, so that has not been made yet. (I am still not even positive what I am using for a top.) This one may not make it to the show, although I do hope so ... I have a couple of other builds (and delivery dates) that may move this one down on the list a little bit.

I also have and SJ Lutz (Spruce) Top with Bocote Back and Sides that I brought to Woodstock last year. It turns out a couple days before the show last year, I discovered a problem with adhesion of the finish so this one was coming back to the shop no matter what. I refinished this SJ spring and have been hanging on to it for the show. While I had it stripped down, I added a sound port.

Here are a couple shots of this one

There are some more discussions and pictures about this SJ here.

Also I have a leftover 00-12c with a Addy Spruce top and Madagscar Rosewood back and sides. This one will also probably be on my table.

Hope to see some of you at the show.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

John, that SJ is gorgeous! I'm on Long Island, not far too far (in relative terms), so if I am not away for work, that guitar alone would be worth a trip to play.

Mike

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
John, that SJ is gorgeous! I'm on Long Island, not far too far (in relative terms), so if I am not away for work, that guitar alone would be worth a trip to play.

Mike
Mike - Having played that guitar at last year's show, you won't be disappointed. It's a monster....Looking at the list of exhibitors it's going to be fun getting some time to play and chat in the (relative) intimacy Woodstock offers. Should be a great show.

Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Robert! It does appear that I'll be around. Now I have to convince my wife and kids that it'll be fun to watch daddy drool over guitars. Of, I have to sneak away on my own (or with a guitar buddy) and take it all in. Ideally, one way or another, I will be able to get there!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Always nice taking a ride up the Thruway next to last weekend in October. And the show has become quite prestigious.
Hi Robert,

Actually this year the show is a little later in the season:

Hope you can still make it and of course many other AGF'rs.

I have got the finish on the OM and I am making final preps on the SJ before finish. I should have both of them with me. This SJ has has new designs that I have been working on (more on that later.) While I am still trying to enjoy the summer a bit, I do look forward to the fall and of course Woodstock in the fall is just awesome.

Here is the show's site http://www.woodstockinvitational.com/

Last edited by John Osthoff; 08-27-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added link
Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 PM

I dunno. What would you like to see?

I'm going to try to get three guitars there. I can tell you that I'm not going try carrying two on the plane like I did last time :-(
Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
I dunno. What would you like to see?
I am currently in the market for a 00 size (14-14 1/2 inch lower bout dimension) preferably with 25ish inch scale length. I will be scouring the room for such a beast!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop