The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-19-2020, 03:46 PM

I've always liked that band too, despite my own personal inability to sing harmonies whatsoever. And despite the challenges, the Woodstock movie is one of the great concert films of all time.

It was their second gig with Neil Young, but Young didn't want to appear in the film.

The CSNY tracks on the Woodstock record were long rumored to be heavily sweetened/re-recorded. I don't know all the details, but this article from last year tells a fascinating tale of one of the sound guys who worked at the festival and was in charge of putting the LPs together afterward.

Eric Blackstead and Woodstock story

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-19-2020, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I like Neil's amused expression with this Gibson SJ-200 in a sea of Martin D-45's.

I always wondered if that could have been a great prank caught on camera. CS&N making no eye contact...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-19-2020, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

I've listened to the Woodstock version of Suite Judy Blue Eyes many times, and the thing that always strikes me is how out of synch C S & Y are at the beginning of the song, and how they pull it together by the end. It's curious that what bothers Stills the most in that performance is the bottom end on the guitar. Did that make him a perfectionist, a narcissist or both???
Old 02-20-2020, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've listened to the Woodstock version of Suite Judy Blue Eyes many times, and the thing that always strikes me is how out of synch C S & Y are at the beginning of the song, and how they pull it together by the end. It's curious that what bothers Stills the most in that performance is the bottom end on the guitar. Did that make him a perfectionist, a narcissist or both???
Ha! Maybe Neil Young could answer your question. One time Stills and Young were touring to promote an album they put together. They each had their own bus. Half way through the tour on their way down the east coast between shows Neil told his bus driver to take a right. Headed home to Ca. ditching Stills and the tour. They both say they are friends but Neil had some trouble getting along with him 'creatively'. Stills could be a drill sergeant. Funny thing is Neil has written volumes of music. Stills, not so much. I still love Stills but I got on the Neil bus.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:27 AM

CSN's Dark Star may be my all time favorite song.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN