The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-12-2020, 04:34 PM

Default New Wilborn build/Nautilus style/Braz-Adi

Hi, my name is Brad and I’m very good friends with Ben Wilborn, along with being in a band with him, Frog and Toad. As a guitar player, there really is nothing better than being good friends with a World Class Luthier. I highly recommend it, especially if they live right up the street from you. We have been talking about a new build for years, and it’s finally going down. Soooo....

My first build thread!
Allow me to introduce my new “Frogtar”.

First, if you know Ben's recent style change, he has developed an upper sound hole that is not only aesthetically beautiful, but the sound is staggering.. so up close to the player's ear, as well as wonderful projections in front. This guitar will be in this style, but a bit bigger body size than what he has been building recently. It will be a Warhorse body, which is his dread shape.

We had pulled this wonderful Brazilian Rosewood out of his stash for awhile now.
I am a sucker for sapwood, and this set has quite a bit. I love the contrast of dark wood vs bright or white..

The top will be a stunning Adirondack that is tapping with volume and reverb... It is very very stiff, and Ben should be able to thin it out wonderfully. The Grain is very tight.. I don’t believe I’ve seen ADI this tight, at least with my eyes..

This will be a multi scale fan fretted neck and guitar.. in our combo, “Frog and Toad”, I play mostly in different tunings, and we feel this will give us a little added punch in tone..

A slight arm bevel will feature Brazilian as well.. when we are playing 2 hour gigs, this will come in very handy!

We are also going to put a carbon fiber truss rod to help stiffen the neck as much as we can because of the constant detunings..
The neck will be Mahogany..

The teardrop sound hole will also have a custom sound hole plug for live performances, to prevent feedback..

Bindings will be in Brazilian as well as the
Headstock...
I’m thinking at this point, no inlay on fretboard.

I have tasked Ben to make me the best guitar I have ever played. And I have played the best from around the world, many of which are on this forum.
He said, “Ok, well I better get started then”.
[emoji23]

I think he can do it. This guitar is going to be rad, and I absolutely can’t wait..
Thanks for looking!
Brad, (Frog)

Wilborn Sidewinder (Braz-Adi)
Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV
1985 Gibson Les Paul custom

Last edited by AZ Cardinal; 09-12-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Hey Brad, I like Frog and Toad, and I'm a fan of the Nautilus in all wood combos, shapes and sizes. The specs and selections for Frogtar make this a thread a must-follow, I bet the end product going to sound mindblowingly good.

Is the fretboard and bridge also going to be Brazilian?

Can't wait to see this thing unfold...
Old 09-12-2020, 07:25 PM

Congrats Brad, that BRW is really a stunning set. It must have been set away in a special pile as it was never offered to me. I sure wish I had a luthier friend like that!

The Adi as you say is really special as well, very straight and tight.

The Frogtar, what a perfect name, much better than Toadtar could ever be.

This is exciting, you will not be allowed to carry this one around behind the seat of the truck though. That would break all rules of civilized man!

Congrats!

Tom
Old 09-12-2020, 07:49 PM

Default Wilborn Frogtar

Hanter,
Thanks for kinds words!
The Bridge will be in Brazilian, And the fretboard will be in Ebony with silver frets...

Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV
Old 09-12-2020, 07:58 PM

Default Wilborn Frogtar

Tom,
I plan on carrying it in my UPS big rig, behind the seat, playing it on my lunch. I will have to get rid of Ben's first guitar he ever made, which currently fills this job. The Frogtar shall have to endure below freezing temps in the winter, and 140 degrees in the summer..
The same set of strings for at least 2 years. I like to do this to test the guitar builder, and the dexterity of my fingers.

Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV

Last edited by AZ Cardinal; 09-12-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

So excited about this one! Zero complaints if you decide to break the all-time “most pictures in a build thread” record!

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:56 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Can't even imagine the sound coming from a Warhorse sized Nautilus. Holy smokes! And the woods ... Holy smokes! Congrats on the upgrade.

Gonna be fun to watch.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

I really love your music with Frog and Toad! This will be a fun build to watch come together. I’m sure it will inspire some great new tunes. Dave
Old 09-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I'm buckled up and ready to watch this one progress!

Ben showed me this set of yours awhile back--I've been waiting to see it finally make it to the esteemed pages of the AGF.

The woods are glorious--can't wait to hear you make music on this one!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 09-13-2020, 03:00 PM

If B.I.G. can happen next March, all attendees should be able to hear this one singing and if nice to Mr. Frog, may be able to play it a bit for yourselves?
Old 09-13-2020, 08:23 PM

Default Wilborn Frogtar

Absolutely!! Nothing would make me happier than B.I.G 2021! With my new Frogtar....

Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV
Old 09-13-2020, 10:08 PM

Looking forward to seeing more of this!
I'm guessing that any mention of "Mates Rates" to Ben would mean the price goes up even higher??!!
Now, all we need for the completed family is that Baritone model people keep asking for, but hasn't been built yet!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 09-13-2020, 10:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Finally! We’ve had this set of Braz in Brad-limbo for at least two years. I am so excited to get to work on it at last. Also, I’ve been itching to build a Warhorse-sized guitar with the Nautilus style. In addition to everything Brad mentioned, this is going to have a longer multiscale than I’ve used before. 26.18 long down to 25.4 for the trebles. Brad detunes that high E quite a bit, and I think the longer scale will keep that string nice and crisp even when tuned down to D.

I should clarify a couple things: the binding, including the bevel and the 3D soundport will be in Macassar ebony rather than BRW, and as far as I know the bridge will be gaboon ebony. Unless Mr Frog decides otherwise. But the thumping, beating heart of this critter will be the Adirondack top, which is a stellar piece of wood. The tap tone is so pure and clarion. And, as Brad said, it is STIFF, so I’ll be able to get it nice and light while still maintaining the kind of strength and rigidity we need. ( I bought this set a couple years ago from Randy Lucas Tonewoods. He has the goods!) So, here we go! I better make this one good, because I’ll have to sit across from it for many rehearsals and performances....
Old 09-13-2020, 10:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats Brad, that BRW is really a stunning set. It must have been set away in a special pile as it was never offered to me. I sure wish I had a luthier friend like that!

Tom

Yes, Tom. I had this in my top secret amphibians-only pile. Actually, if you look closely, you might recognize this set. Think Woodstock, in the backstage area, etc.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 09-14-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbornGuitars View Post
Yes, Tom. I had this in my top secret amphibians-only pile. Actually, if you look closely, you might recognize this set. Think Woodstock, shady dealings in the backstage area, etc.
OK, wow, that made me completely laugh out loud. No way, that is awesome. Now Brad can become my indentured servant in gratitude haha! 15 years will be good I would say. Completely cool full circle story!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop