The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-19-2018, 12:47 AM

Default Saddle question - Avalon

Hi all

I have asked this question in my other post about the guitar but it is a bit lost in the thread so wanted to ask it here in the right forum.

I purchased a used 2003 Avalon A200 (made in Ireland) that is in immaculate condition. Looks to have been played very little and looks pretty much original as far as I can tell.

On changing the strings I noticed that the saddle (Tusq by the look of it) was slightly loose and had some fore/aft movement in the slot. It was also fairly short in height at about 7mm top to bottom.

Action is about where I would normally set it at 2.2mm Low E - 12th fret.

String height above soundboard is 10mm and break angle looks to be ok.

My question is that the saddle height seems to be a function of the slot in the bridge being shallow, rather than it having been sanded down to accommodate neck adjustments - and as such it seems to be a part of the design.

Can anybody shed any light on this for me - is this a known design element of these guitars or is it indicative of a problem?

What causes the play in the bridge slot, or is this likely to be resulting from an improperly fitted replacement saddle at some point? (Not sure if these guitars came with Tusq or not so cant tell)

I am going to replace the saddle with a better fitting one - would bone be a good option in this guitar or should I try both options?

I would really appreciate any help here as I have not come across this issue before.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 04-19-2018, 07:44 AM

I'd ask Avalon directly by e-mailing them.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I'd ask Avalon directly by e-mailing them.

Hi Charles, I’ve mailed them twice now but no response.

Thanks..

Old 04-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
...What causes the play in the bridge slot, or is this likely to be resulting from an improperly fitted replacement saddle at some point? (Not sure if these guitars came with Tusq or not so cant tell)...
I know virtually nothing about the specifics of an Avalon. Loose saddle/slot fit can be fore a number of reasons including a warped slot, cracked bridge, or undersized saddle. Since Tusq saddles are molded parts it's quite possible that it just doesn't fit the slot. I make my saddles from oversized bone blanks so that I can get a snug fit. I do not like a saddle tilting forward.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:09 AM

My first/only thoughts:

1. Previous owner ran out of saddle height to reduce and sought to avoid reset by shaving bridge lower (to expose more saddle), BUT didn't have the saddle slot deepened at the same time to allow enough space to hold the saddle.

2. Previous owner used a too-thin saddle blank, or a saddle from another guitar, causing the saddle to flop around a bit in the too-shallow slot.

I doubt Avalon will have a clue, so I'd head to a pro for an opinion/quote to fix.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I have a Lowden O from 2001-2 that was made by the folks who became Avalon. It has a split bridge, but there are thin rosewood shims under the bone saddles and pre-drilled holes to accommodate an under saddle pickup if you wanted to add one.

Check and see if your bridge has these shims installed. They are a very good fit. Could be taking up space in the saddle slot.

Mark
Old 04-24-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDEMO1 View Post
I have a Lowden O from 2001-2 that was made by the folks who became Avalon. It has a split bridge, but there are thin rosewood shims under the bone saddles and pre-drilled holes to accommodate an under saddle pickup if you wanted to add one.

Check and see if your bridge has these shims installed. They are a very good fit. Could be taking up space in the saddle slot.

Mark

Thanks Marc - I am definitely going to have a good look to make sure they are not installed...

Old 04-27-2018, 06:00 PM

I have an 03 l32. Small amount of saddle showing and the action was a bit high. Thought I was headed for a neck reset. Took it to a well known Luther and he said that the neck is fine. Bridge route was a bit shallow and frets needed leveling. He is going to route out the bridge and replace the saddle and level the frets. Expensive, but not a neck reset. He was blown away by the tone of the guitar btw.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhunn View Post
I have an 03 l32. Small amount of saddle showing and the action was a bit high. Thought I was headed for a neck reset. Took it to a well known Luther and he said that the neck is fine. Bridge route was a bit shallow and frets needed leveling. He is going to route out the bridge and replace the saddle and level the frets. Expensive, but not a neck reset. He was blown away by the tone of the guitar btw.

Thanks - very interesting. Mine seems to have had the bridge shaved according to Jim at Avalon (it should be 9mm or so at highest point but it’s 5.5mm)

My neck seems to be ok now and frets are level. No shims in the bridge (but maybe slot could be routed)

I have now replaced the saddle with a new bone one and left the action a tad higher at 2.5mm low E and this has given me a decent break angle and about 11mm string height above top.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 PM

Did that happen to be the A200 for sale recently on ebay? I was torn between that and the l32 from the same seller. I'd emailed Avalon re the serial numbers of both guitars. By the time I'd had confirmation that the A200 was made in Ireland I'd opted for the l32. When it arrived I was really disappointed - neck was bowed, sounded harsh and jangly, action too high.
But I swapped the strings, adjusted the neck and have now replaced the saddle. Oddly, mine was also too thin for the bridge slot, and with the strings off it just flopped about loosely. I thought this strange for a high-class instrument.
It's growing on me now though, the new strings have calmed down a bit, the adjustments have made it superbly playable (still to tweak the nut and saddle heights), the subtleties of tone are quite astonishing. I really think it's a guitar which requires a different playing approach. I've been used to hammering an old Gibson, and the Avalon does not take kindly to that form of abuse. But some gentle fingering and it truly shines!
If it's the same a200, it was finished exactly the same time as mine in 2003...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair