The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 11:24 PM

Default Taylor-Playing Worship Leaders

Well here it is. An official new thread, and sanctuary, for us Christian worship leaders who want to share our experiences, blessings, ideas, and love for our Saviour.

Let me kick it off with a little about myself...

I play a 714 rosewood/sitka. Fellowship at a Calvary Chapel in Rochester NY and play contemporary praise and worship. Usually the standard Calvary worship, i.e, Vineyard, Maranatha, etc.

Worship is a sweet ministry and wonderful way to serve the Lord.

How about you?

Blessings,
Old 02-26-2002, 12:04 AM

Well I play in a Church affiliated Worship Group, and am the Worship Leader in our County Mens Community Bible Group (CBS). I also play in a Worship and Soft "Rock" group with 2 other guitarists. My schedule is pretty full these days. I enjoy the less structured "non church affiliated" music the most, as I can stay a little farther from 'hymn type' music which I find limiting in too structured. I mean those hymns where you are changing chords on every beat can be very painful.

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 02-26-2002, 03:23 AM

I lead worship in my church in Malaysia. My wife and i lead the worship ministry/team. We are really blessed to have a great team to work with. Total of 6 worship leaders and about 30 musicians/singers. Our team/band on a Sunday comprise of a drummer, keyboardist, electric guitar, acoustic and bass and 3 singers. Our song's come from various sources like Soulsurvivor (UK), passion, Hillssong and Vineyard.

As for Taylors in the church, I was the first to be blessed enough to own a Taylor. 3 other people now own big baby's and my Pastor has also bought a 310!

Blessings to all!
Old 02-26-2002, 11:30 AM

I seved as worship leader in the church I was at before I came to the one I'm in now. Now I am on the worship team and do sound when I'm not singing. Unfortunatly you have to be associate pastor to lead worship here so I do what else I can. My guitar playing isn't good enough to play on the team yet but I'm working on that every day! I play a W10 and a 510. I go where He leadeth. Bless you all!!!
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 02-26-2002, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I lead worship with a 714 cedar CE and a 314KCE along with long-time friend Cynbrad who plays a 314CE and a new 414CE (sweet).
We have an awesome drummer and a percussion player too.
We serve at a small church (around 50) and consider ourselves extremely priviledged to do what we do.
We play a lot of Vineyard, Third Day, 100 Portraits and others.
God is blessing us to progress more and more in what we can do and we're thankful for that.

Ron-I can relate to the hymns being a chord to each note, whew! they can be tough. We don't do a lot of them either.

James- bless you for running sound when you're not serving elsewhere. Soundmen are SO important. We have been without one for 2 years. I could really appreciate one now! God sees your diligence too

Our pastor was kidding us the other day after Cynbrad showed the congregation her "miracle guitar", the new 414CE . He said "when these girls started leading worship here over 3 years ago they played Kock-a-mame-ees (Takamines) and now God has given them both 2 Taylors each".
Now that we play the Taylors he can't think of a cute word for them but he sure likes the way they sound.
Lisa
Old 02-26-2002, 12:34 PM

Greetings, and thanks for starting this post.

I lead worship at a church of about 250 in a small Colorado town. Of late, I'm using mostly my newest Taylor...a 414ce Koa Limited. I also use my 714ce Cedar on occasion. I use a combination of the internal electronics and an external condensor mic to give me the most natural acoustic sound I can get.

We play a combination of Passion, Vineyard, Calvary, etc, with a hymn or two thrown in to keep the peace. I've played on worship teams dating back to 1986. My religious upbringing was of conservative baptist flavor, but I become more Calvary Chapel-esque in the early 70's. My wife and I are in full time ministry, running a Christian camp in Colorado. We love the Lord, and enjoy serving Him.

My Taylors are a major blessing, and also a major distraction. It's hard to get things done sometimes with those things sitting around. They beckon from the case...in fact, I hear one of them right now begging to be played.

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Yamaha BB Bass, Fender Strats, PRS
Old 02-26-2002, 02:12 PM

Nice to see we have a worship community. Looking forward to our eventual & eternal "Jam for the Lamb"

I find at times that my rosewood/spruce 714 can be a bit boomy for some of more contemporary songs, like Passion, Vineyard etc. I am toying with the idea of getting a 514ce with Sitka top.

However, why not go with the 314CE and save money if they sound close enough. Do your think the 314 Sapele is close to the 514 Mahogany? I love my 714 but I want another, brighter/livier sound to round things out a bit.

Any insights?

In Him,
Old 02-26-2002, 03:33 PM

Mike,

I don't think you could go wrong with either the 514 sitka or the 314. They're probably not going to have as 'big' of sound as a dread, but I love my 414 limited for worship. I only use the 714 if there's some intimate fingerpicking that needs to be done. But anything with a sitka top would be a nice compliment to your 714.

My son uses his 314 to lead worship, and loves it. If fact, he prefers it to his 815. Some of those 314's will knock your socks off. You might also look around for a 414ce Limited with Koa. It's nice a bright, yet has bottom. There might still be a few left.

Scott

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Old 02-26-2002, 05:07 PM

Thanks Scott. Great thought on trying to locate a 414CE Koa. I love Koa and that option never dawned on me... I like the thought of having a Koa without paying the Koa series prices...4 kids ya know...

I also like the 310 tones but have become very comfortable wiith the GA body style. What strings are you playing on the Koa and what does your son play on the 314? I've been enjoying John Pearse Phospher Bronze lately but feel the need to try GHS, as I'm looking to get a brighter sound. I'm laying off the Elixers for a while but have no serious complaints about them. Just a couple of bad sets made me check out some non-coated alternatives.

PTL!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 06:40 PM

Mike,

I'm using Elixer nanoweb lights on the 414 ltd, and I use DiAddario phosphor/bronze (EJ16)on the 714.

I must confess I haven't tried out any other strings on the 414 yet, and have stayed with the Elixers for one reason...I cannot stand to change strings, but can't stand it when they go dead. It's a terrible predicament.

I've tried several varieties on the 714, and come back to the DiAddarrios. I just like the way they feel and sound for finger style.

If I can find another string that lasts a long time, I'll try them on the 414. I do get a little irritated at the coating peeling off in the first three frets.

BTW, I have a good friend that pastors a Calvary Chapel in PA. Do you guys get the Calvary Satellite Network back there? We listen all the time here.

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Old 02-26-2002, 06:41 PM

It is an incredible blessing to be involved with the worship team at my church. I am not the leader but I love serving in the capacity that I do. God is continually increasing my abilities as a guitarist and a vocalist. The process has been slow and painful at times, but it is WELL WORTH IT. Yes, He is the God of increase.

Taylorsmitten what about the secret weapon?? You know the beautiful 914c??
Old 02-26-2002, 09:50 PM

Scott:

D'Addario EJ16's came with my 714 when I bought it back in 1996. I think you and I are on the same wave with the non-coated strings on that guitar.

I went to the North East Pastors Conference in MD. last May and met the Worship leader/ Youth Pastor, from Calvary Chapel Philly. His name is Rob and he is a great brother in the Lord... and man can he worship with his 914ce. I also know the Sr. Pastor Joe, well more like met him. But many of us Calvary folks in the Northeast seem to cross paths here and there and remember each other and rejoice together in fellowship.

Cynbrad...Welcome. Yeh the worship ministry is awesome. The Lord will stretch you at timea and the enemy will attack you via pride and other means. If I may, stay close to the Lord, always in prayer, give it all to Him prior to worship. Don't let Satan rip you off. You are so right, the Lord gives the increase. He knows your heart and will use you to bless others...how awesome is that???

Blessings
Old 02-26-2002, 10:00 PM
.tom the übergeek

I guess I barely qualify here. I am OK with the parts but cannot seem to put the sum together.

I play bass at our contemporary service (my 5-string electric)
I lead a worship service for HS-21yr old youth playing my Strat or Tele.
I play a Taylor 810 for fun.
I play a Taylor AB-3 in my bluegrass band.

I have yet to play a Taylor while leading worship...Can I stay?
Old 02-26-2002, 10:58 PM

Tom:

You could be playing a 2x4 with rubber bands and as long as you are worshipping, you can stay brother. It's all about Who we're worshipping, not the tools...amen.

Stated with all due respect to our beloved Taylors guitars of course. Just more of His abundant blessings... He put the icing on the cake when He gifted Bob with this awesome craft.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:16 PM

Tom,

Well, I guess you can stay. With a resume like that you should be a thread leader.

I do play bass also, but I never could keep up with more than 4 strings on one. When I tried one, I kept hitting that low B thinking it was the E. I now play a 6 year old Peavey RSB...a koa wood bass with active pickups. Don't ask me why they used koa on an electric solid body bass. If you ask me, it's a waste of good wood.

Scott

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification