The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klef View Post
Ahh, now I think I get it. And if I'm going to move the mic between guitars, I'd be best off using the XLR connector as intended, and suffering the old wire out the soundhole scenario. That may work OK, though, as my gigs will be infrequent and I'm not particularly rambunctious.
Thanks, Doug, for your sharing your know-how.
For that kind of situation, I'd consider the DPA 4099, K&K Meridian, Miniflex model 2, or one of the bartlett mics, depending on your taste and budget
Old 08-10-2011, 04:59 PM

Doug, I see from the DTAR info that the second resistor (R14) is optional if more gain is desired from the second source (dpa mic). Did you need that with the 4061 when you were using the wavelength?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Doug, I see from the DTAR info that the second resistor (R14) is optional if more gain is desired from the second source (dpa mic). Did you need that with the 4061 when you were using the wavelength?

Yes, I used a 10K resistor
Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The kit is to allow it to be used with balanced 48 volt phantom power. I don't use that, and I cut off the connector. Its no different than any guitar mic - hot wire to the ring, ground to ground, and use a preamp that supplies 9 volts unbalanced phantom power
Well, if I'm going to use a Pendulum SPS-1 then I'm wondering if Gainaim is right about feeding the DPA too many volts. I believe it supplies 48 volts, is that correct? I use the SPS-1 I'll need the stepdown transformer adaptor?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:28 PM

JUst get a fishman infinity and combine it with a fishman DI Spectrum.

The tone IS exactly as it was being played through a mike, check this sample out and tell me if this doesnt sound like a natural acoustic tone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6Zpy3SC8E
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, if I'm going to use a Pendulum SPS-1 then I'm wondering if Gainaim is right about feeding the DPA too many volts. I believe it supplies 48 volts, is that correct? I use the SPS-1 I'll need the stepdown transformer adaptor?
If you use the SPS-1 mic module, it supplies 9 volts. The SPS-1's raw mic inputs supply 48 volts, so it depends on how you're using it. When I use the 4099, I use it just like an external mic (which it is) and run it into the SPS-1's second channel, and I use the adaptor. I've lost track of what setup you're trying to create... If you talking about the 4061 like I'm using inside the guitar, the SPS-1 mic module provides 9 volts unbalanced.

Last edited by Doug Young; 08-30-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
JUst get a fishman infinity and combine it with a fishman DI Spectrum.

The tone IS exactly as it was being played through a mike, check this sample out and tell me if this doesnt sound like a natural acoustic tone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6Zpy3SC8E
This solution is excellent IF your guitar is one of the images that Fishman supplies. If it isn't, the sound can be quite... weird.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
If you use the SPS-1 mic module, it supplies 9 volts. The SPS-1's raw mic inputs supply 48 volts, so it depends on how you're using it. When I use the 4099, I use it just like an external mic (which it is) and run it into the SPS-1's second channel, and I use the adaptor. I've lost track of what setup you're trying to create... If you talking about the 4061 like I'm using inside the guitar, the SPS-1 mic module provides 9 volts unbalanced.
Thank you. I should have known the pickup/mic module would have a lowered voltage. And yeah, I've lost track of what set-up I'm after as well. The wisdom and experience available on this forum are a heck of a resource. I've basically been talked out of the external mic by forum posts. I've narrowed my two internal mic options to the DPA 4061 or the Pendulum modified AKG. I'll try a K&K pure mini and wire as dual source in my OM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've narrowed my two internal mic options to the DPA 4061 or the Pendulum modified AKG. I'll try a K&K pure mini and wire as dual source in my OM.
Either of those with the Pendulum should work fine.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Go For It Klef

Aloha Klef,

You're armed with all the info ya need. You've gotten long-time pro gigger's affirmations towards the gear you've determined to be the best for you. Now go for it.

Either of those condenser mic's combined with a K&K mini will sound great. Glad you're thinking outside that Baggs/Fishman box. I strongly feel that a guitarist needs a mic in the live mix to sound like a natural acoustic guitar. The SPS-1 will give you the control you need to use mic's in live mixes at most venues.

I use the Pendulum-modded AKG 416 (now 516) in my three gigging guitars. It works great. I often combine the K&K & 416 into one channel of the SPS-1 (EQ them together) & use the other for vocals. A winner all around for me: tone, control, flexible routing, great EQ, & class A electronics, blending & volume controls right at the end jack - in a one rack-space unit. It's worth it!

DPA's are great mic's period. Ya can't go wrong with either. Give us a review.

At the level you're investigating, perhaps you'd be willing to complete the upscale mini PA cycle & investigate Daedalus speakers:

http://www.daedalusmusic.com/PAstudiospeakers.html

The S-81's & W 803's are absolutely wonderful for acoustic guitars & guitarists. All the Daeds are passive so you'll need a power amp. But if you investigate Daedalus, talk with Lou Hinkley. He'll help with the power amp. You can also find used Haflers for around $300 - two rack spaces..

And then for kicks, check out the M series of TC Electronics dual-engine, stereo FX units, like the M-2000 I use. Gives you the quality & everything you need in one rack-space with the rig you're putting together for stellar live sound in many types of venues.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/M2000.asp

Used, under $400 now.

All the best.

alohachris

PS: You can find used SPS-1's for around $1200.

http://www.pendulumaudio.com/SPS-1.html

Last edited by alohachris; 08-30-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 AM

I recently installed this system. Dtar wavelength, K&K mini, DPA 4061, Dtar Soltice. Sounds great so far. One issue though...The gain on the 4061 seems very weak. Needs to cranked up to about 9 on the Solstice second channel to get some balance with the K&K set at about 2 first channel. Is this normal? I purchased the DPA 4061 used on ebay I wonder if it's defective. I installed the second 10K resistor as instructed for the optimum gain in the wavelength. Had I used the higher K resistors I'd imagine you'd barely have any gain at all.
I chose the 4061 over the more sensitive 4060 thinking it was a better choice to avoid clipping when strumming hard.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:46 PM

OK, so I've had a couple of days off from work, so I've pulled the old active Baggs system ( the ribbon was .040 and kind of like rubber -probably not so good for saddle to guitar connection anyway), pre-amp and all. I installed a K&K pure mini with a DPA 4061 soldered to the ring and ground. I rebuilt the saddle to get the height back up since the UST is gone, but Bob Colosi is sending me a new one anyway. Internal mic is in a little piece of K&K red packing foam stuck under soundhole pointed at end of fretboard favoring treble strings. Right now I'm stereo cabled into my Fishman Performer Pro 8 with the mic on the mic channel and getting 15 volt phantom (9 volts is DPA spec, I think, but I figure 15 is close enough.
Sound is close to all I could ask for and worlds apart from what I had. I'm getting a Pendulum sps-1 and that should help me fine tune a bit.
Thanks for this thread, everyone.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I recently installed this system. Dtar wavelength, K&K mini, DPA 4061, Dtar Soltice. Sounds great so far. One issue though...The gain on the 4061 seems very weak. Needs to cranked up to about 9 on the Solstice second channel to get some balance with the K&K set at about 2 first channel. Is this normal? I purchased the DPA 4061 used on ebay I wonder if it's defective. I installed the second 10K resistor as instructed for the optimum gain in the wavelength. Had I used the higher K resistors I'd imagine you'd barely have any gain at all.
I chose the 4061 over the more sensitive 4060 thinking it was a better choice to avoid clipping when strumming hard.
In my setup, I think the mic is a tad hotter than the K&K with the 10k resistor, or at least pretty close. The ebay DPA's are hit or miss, of course. I've gotten a couple of bad ones, but the cost difference makes it worth trying anyway.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Default Confirmation Needed

I hope it's not too late to join this discussion.

Received my used SPS 1 last Saturday. Bought it from a fellow forum member. Wow! But more on that later. Pulled out much of my K&K power mix trinity except for the Pure SBT. I happen to have a AKG 416 mic on hand. Wired both of them directly to a 1/4" stereo end pin. I didn't have a lot of time to mess around with it but played in church yesterday. It was okay, no problems. I just was underwhelmed. I was unable to control the amount of bass that I was getting. So yesterday I went ahead and plugged in the UST instead of the Pure SBT (I have soldered RCA type connectors so it is a fast exchange.) And now it's has for me the desired amount of control over brightness and warmth. (At least in my living room.)

Bottom line. I believe the mic is bass heavy and I believe the K&K is the full size, not the minis and it has always been bass heavy as well. I would prefer to go with the K&K but would a switch to the minis make a difference? What does the modification to the AKG 416 do? After this thread, I might try a DPA instead of modifying a 416.

About the SPS 1. I am definitely drinking the cool aid. It would have saved me lots of money if I just did this 15 years ago.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Bottom line. I believe the mic is bass heavy and I believe the K&K is the full size, not the minis and it has always been bass heavy as well. I would prefer to go with the K&K but would a switch to the minis make a difference?
There's a fairly big difference in bass on the full size vs minis, so that could be the issue. Did you think it was bass heavy before? Of course SBT's vary quite a bit from guitar to guitar, so it's hard to say. What guitar is this in? I don't know about the AKG specifically, but mics also vary a lot with placement, and tend to be boomy when placed deep inside the guitar - but your mileage may vary depending on the guitar. Experiment with placement - difficult, but try headphones and listen to just the mic. You'll almost certainly want to roll off low end from the mic even when you find a good place for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification