The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I decided to borrow a redeye and check it out with my new K & K equipped guitar and wow it's a night and day difference from plugging in straight to the board. Plugging straight in the board the sound is unfocused and in in need of major massaging but plugging in the Redeye takes that all away. Consider me a fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Not to take away from the Red Eye but wouldn't any preamp make a noticeable improvement on the K&K in your case? Running it straight to the board is fine but a preamp really helps the passive pure mini.
No. There may well be some others that do sound as good that I haven't tried, but I've owned quite a few other preamps, including K&K's preamp, and there's really something special about the RedEye.

The dman's experience with the K&K and RedEye mirrors my own.

With the XLR output of the RedEye plugged into a nice PA, my guitars with K&K's sound great almost automatically, with just a minimum of tone tweaking at the sound board.

I'm not saying my guitars sound like they do unplugged only louder. They don't.

But I get a great tone that I can feel confident about and which inspires me.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 09-26-2015, 12:52 PM

I contacted Daren with some specific questions regarding his products and the customer service was fast, informative and very nice.

I appreciate the innovative approach to "my guitar only louder", and it seems from the reviews that folks are very pleased with their Red eyes. I remain very interested and wish I could try one out at my local GC. My favorite feature is the phantom power/ high end transformer unique to this brand.

Daren did mention they have a flexible return policy as well in case others remain as interested as I do.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
No. There may well be some others that do sound as good that I haven't tried, but I've owned quite a few other preamps, including K&K's preamp, and there's really something special about the RedEye.

The dman's experience with the K&K and RedEye mirrors my own.

With the XLR output of the RedEye plugged into a nice PA, my guitars with K&K's sound great almost automatically, with just a minimum of tone tweaking at the sound board.

I'm not saying my guitars sound like they do unplugged only louder. They don't.

But I get a great tone that I can feel confident about and which inspires me.
I am not doubting that the Red-Eye is good, I was just referring to the fact that dman mentioned going from plugging straight into the board to using a red-eye and noticing a big improvement. You would see any improvement with almost any preamp as the K&K tends to need one. I would like to check the Red-eye out though and compare it to my Radial PZ Deluxe.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:31 PM

For those running the Red-Eye with an EQ pedal, is it recommended to place the EQ after the Red-Eye, or can it be placed before it? What are the pros/cons?

I'm thinking of setting up my acoustic guitar with a dual-source setup consisting of a K&K Pure Mini and a Sunrise, and running both into the Red-Eye.

For additional tone shaping (if needed), I'd like to have the option of EQ'ing each pickup independent of each other. If it's okay to place the EQ pedals before the Red-Eye, then I'll get the Twin version. But if it's recommended to place it after, then I'll probably end up getting 2 of the single-channel versions, since the Twin shares the same blended output signal.

I'll try the setup first with just the Red-Eye. But if down the road I'll find the need to add an EQ pedal, I want to have that option open. So I need to decide if I'm getting a Twin or 2 of the single-channel versions.

Btw, I'm also looking at using a compact mixer instead of the EQ pedals, but I'd like to explore this option first. Decisions, decisions..
Old 09-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelpaolo84 View Post
For those running the Red-Eye with an EQ pedal, is it recommended to place the EQ after the Red-Eye, or can it be placed before it? What are the pros/cons?
Well, if you place the red-eye first, your EQ pedal won't provide phantom power for the red-eye, so you'll lose one of the nice features of the red-eye and have to run off the battery. If you place it 2nd, then you'll be going from pickup to EQ, losing what's probably the biggest benefit of the red-eye, impedance matching and having a clean preamp as the first stage. For your needs, I'd suggest a 2-channel preamp with EQ. By the time you buy 2 red-eyes, the EQs, cables, you'll have enough (or more) invested than if you just got a single box that does what you need. Of course, if you're going into a mixer, you could just use the EQ on your mixer, simplifying things to where the red-eyes could work fine for you.

Oh, also, the red-eye has an effects loop, so you can add your EQ there (I assume it's an insert?) and avoid the issues I listed. But you'll still have a more complicated setup than if you just got a dual channel preamp with EQ.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Well, if you place the red-eye first, your EQ pedal won't provide phantom power for the red-eye, so you'll lose one of the nice features of the red-eye and have to run off the battery. If you place it 2nd, then you'll be going from pickup to EQ, losing what's probably the biggest benefit of the red-eye, impedance matching and having a clean preamp as the first stage. For your needs, I'd suggest a 2-channel preamp with EQ. By the time you buy 2 red-eyes, the EQs, cables, you'll have enough (or more) invested than if you just got a single box that does what you need. Of course, if you're going into a mixer, you could just use the EQ on your mixer, simplifying things to where the red-eyes could work fine for you.

Oh, also, the red-eye has an effects loop, so you can add your EQ there (I assume it's an insert?) and avoid the issues I listed. But you'll still have a more complicated setup than if you just got a dual channel preamp with EQ.
Yeah from what I've been reading the best way to use the Red-Eye is first in the chain after the pickup itself...

The Red-Eye has an effects loop, but on the Twin it will also just affect the blended signals. As for the 2-channel preamp, is there one available with independent EQs for each channel but that also comes in a more pedalboard friendly size? I know the D-TAR Solstice is a popular choice but it's too big for my tastes. And the Grace Felix is waaay outta my league

If I'm intent on using the Red-Eyes for my purpose though, looks like the compact mixer would be a practical choice.

Thanks for the explanations and suggestions, Doug, much appreciated!

Last edited by rafaelpaolo84; 09-27-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelpaolo84 View Post
As for the 2-channel preamp, is there one available with independent EQs for each channel but that also comes in a more pedalboard friendly size? I know the D-TAR Solstice is a popular choice but it's too big for my tastes. And the Grace Felix is waaay outta my league
You'd be closing in on Felix price-wise if you buy 2 red-eyes and 2 decent EQs, and the footprint would probably be as big as a Solstice. A really nice, full-featured, and fairly small preamp that isn't made anymore, but that comes up regularly on ebay or even here is the Raven Labs PMB-I or II. And of course there is the K&K Quantum. The Headway EBD-2 is also very nice, tho it only offers EQ on one channel at a time. You might be surprised to discover that that's adequate. Half this thread seems to be people discovering that with a nice clean signal path, good quality preamp, and so on, that you don't even need EQ.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You'd be closing in on Felix price-wise if you buy 2 red-eyes and 2 decent EQs, and the footprint would probably be as big as a Solstice. A really nice, full-featured, and fairly small preamp that isn't made anymore, but that comes up regularly on ebay or even here is the Raven Labs PMB-I or II. And of course there is the K&K Quantum. The Headway EBD-2 is also very nice, tho it only offers EQ on one channel at a time. You might be surprised to discover that that's adequate. Half this thread seems to be people discovering that with a nice clean signal path, good quality preamp, and so on, that you don't even need EQ.
Wow thanks for the recommendations, will check 'em out!
Old 09-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

The mind blowing thing about the RedEye for me is the lack of a need for EQ. Don't ask me how, it just works. Now it may be different for those playing with bass and drums, but for solo or duo use, my acoustic amp has more than enough EQ, and any board would too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-27-2015, 02:59 PM

I've been building pedalboards lately and yesterday plugged my Tele and my Strat into my RedEye Twin...into a MXR Carbon Copy Delay, into a TC Stereo Chorus and into two Fender Princeton Reverb amps.

Sounded fabulous!

I didn't care for the way my Baggs M1 soundhole pickup sounded through it, but my Fender guitars with Fender style single coil pickups sounded incredible.

Through the RedEye they sound HUGE and CLEAN. Made the EP1 also on the board sound muddy when compared to the RedEye.

I may remove the Xotic EP1 from my pedalboard because the RedEye sounds better - and I can plug two guitars into it.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 09-27-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Well, I've got a Red-Eye on the way from AGF sponsor Shoreline Music.

All the positive reviews and comments, plus the simplicity of the box convinced me it should be the next trail on my "amplified acoustic journey".

I'll be trying it with USTs, a soundhole pickup, and K&Ks.

Looking forward to getting it and giving it a workout. I'll post my comments here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Please do Ed. I'm very interested in this device too. 😂
I've had my Red-Eye for about a week now, and have spent a lot of time with it on several different pickups. Here are my observations:
  • The Red-Eye is absolutely outstanding with passive pickups! Through it, my K&K equipped guitars, and my 000-15 with its DiMarzio Angel sound hole pickup, sound better than they ever have. Scary good. (I wish I had discovered the Red-Eye while I still had my Sunrise sound hole pick-up...I bet that thing would have been insane through the Red-Eye!)
  • The treble control on the Red-Eye is key to how great it sounds with the K&K. A boost of the treble on the Red-Eye (say 70%) perfectly counterbalances the boominess of the K&K.
  • I've found the Red-Eye to be a little too hot with active pickups. One needs to turn the pickup volume (guitar volume wheel) pretty far down to avoid over-driving or "clipping" with the Red-Eye. As a result, I found that much of the dynamics of the pickups (especially my DTar Wave-Length) were lost. When it comes to active pickups, I think my Aura Spectrum is probably the better choice.
  • The lack of a volume or gain control on the Red-Eye is a definite deficiency in my opinion. I understand that Fire-Eye believes that the gain should be monitored and controlled "at the board", but, for a lot of us, WE are the board!

All-in-all, the Red-Eye is an outstanding pre-amp/DI for any passive pickup...If your guitar has a passive pick-up, it will almost certainly sound better than it ever has with the Red-Eye.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-28-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I've had my Red-Eye for about a week now, and have spent a lot of time with it on several different pickups. Here are my observations:
  • The Red-Eye is absolutely outstanding with passive pickups! Through it, my K&K equipped guitars, and my 000-15 with its DiMarzio Angel sound hole pickup, sound better than they ever have. Scary good. (I wish I had discovered the Red-Eye while I still had my Sunrise sound hole pick-up...I bet that thing would have been insane through the Red-Eye!)
  • The treble control on the Red-Eye is key to how great it sounds with the K&K. A boost of the treble on the Red-Eye (say 70%) perfectly counterbalances the boominess of the K&K.
  • I've found the Red-Eye to be a little too hot with active pickups. One needs to turn the pickup volume (guitar volume wheel) pretty far down to avoid over-driving or "clipping" with the Red-Eye. As a result, I found that much of the dynamics of the pickups (especially my DTar Wave-Length) were lost. When it comes to active pickups, I think my Aura Spectrum is probably the better choice.
  • The lack of a volume or gain control on the Red-Eye is a definite deficiency in my opinion. I understand that Fire-Eye believes that the gain should be monitored and controlled "at the board", but, for a lot of us, WE are the board!

All-in-all, the Red-Eye is an outstanding pre-amp/DI for any passive pickup...If your guitar has a passive pick-up, it will almost certainly sound better than it ever has with the Red-Eye.
The RedEye Twin does have a gain control.

Two in fact: one for each channel.

The regular RedEye does not have a gain control but Darren says it's set internally at about 90% of the max of the gain control on the Twin.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
I've been building pedalboards lately and yesterday plugged my Tele and my Strat into my RedEye Twin...into a MXR Carbon Copy Delay, into a TC Stereo Chorus and into two Fender Princeton Reverb amps.

Sounded fabulous!

I didn't care for the way my Baggs M1 soundhole pickup sounded through it, but my Fender guitars with Fender style single coil pickups sounded incredible.

Through the RedEye they sound HUGE and CLEAN. Made the EP1 also on the board sound muddy when compared to the RedEye.

I may remove the Xotic EP1 from my pedalboard because the RedEye sounds better - and I can plug two guitars into it.
Whoa!
I just ordered one for my 1973 BC Rich, after a horrible weekend using IEM's
If this works with electric guitars / pedal boards, I will be amazed !

I have the "Twin" on order.
Playing with an acoustic, mandolin or lap steel is going to solve a lot of my live sound issues.
BC Rich B 28 acoustic 1973
Godin A8 Mandolin
Rittenberry SD10 pedal steel guitar
Gretsch Black Falcon 2009
Fender Jazzmaster
Martin Nylon folk guitar 1962

FM9 guitar modeler

www.stevehotramusic.com
Old 08-23-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
Has anyone used a bodyrez pedal with the redeye preamp? I've been using a bodyrez with a baggs venue into an aer 60/3 and it really works well. there's a distinct difference without the bodyrez.
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to chime in on the Red-Eye Preamp and BodyRez combo. I have been doing this for years and think its a killer matchup. I have a K&K pure mini equipped Santa Cruz OM that I have used various preamps/digital mixiers/etc for but the one I like the best is a red-eye with the bodyrez in the effects loop.

The Bodyrez alone sounds pretty good but there is just some energy or dynamic missing compared to the Red-Eye (not just level as I take the effects loop out of the red-eye)

The Red-Eye alone just pulls subtle tones out of the pickup that I dont hear without it however I am always left with some slight EQ or tone that is never quite right on its own.

When I put the BodyRez in the effects loop of the RedEye preamp and set it at a 25%-33% level it just takes the edge off and evens out my tone but I still get all the excitement and energy from the Red-Eye. Great combo! I imagine a little parametric EQ and touch of a compressor would do the same thing but for the price of the BodyRez its a nice little addition to just smooth things out a little.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
The Headway EBD-2 is also very nice, tho it only offers EQ on one channel at a time. You might be surprised to discover that that's adequate. Half this thread seems to be people discovering that with a nice clean signal path, good quality preamp, and so on, that you don't even need EQ.
A very good point. I find that with the Headway Unit using on EQ on the blended signal often gives an excellent sound though I appreciate some like to EQ bot signals individually. The impedance matching on its own seems to make a big improvement.
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification