The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 AM

Mackie powered speakers and mixer.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinandTwang View Post
Mackie powered speakers and mixer.
I got those too! Two Mackie SRM450 active speakers and a Mackie DFX-12 Mixer. Plenty of power and flexibilty. Maybe not the best tone for acoustic guitar but decent and they can fry a room with clean sound if the player wants to do so.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Perhaps you didn't understand that this is the front-end gear that I would always use, regardless of what I was plugged into...including my previous testing with the SoloAmp, my use with Bose equipment, and anytime I would be on the road using any kind of house-PA system.

The front-end gear is a separate part of the equation.

I also tested the BA thoroughly using the Bose T1 as the sole front-end. It was no-contest when comparing the sound to the Highlander PAMDI and Dr. Scientist reverb...the PAMDI and Reverberator won, hands-down. The only benefit to the Bose T1 was the mixing board capabilities, with vocal mic channel, etc. I won't be keeping my Bose L1 Model II.
Many do not need additional gear with the SoloAmp. With the BagAmp it seems likely that additional gear will be needed. To the extent that is true, the complete price of the two units is closer.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Many do not need additional gear with the SoloAmp. With the BagAmp it seems likely that additional gear will be needed. To the extent that is true, the complete price of the two units is closer.
IMO it's simply not true at all.

I tested the BA plugged straight in, using the onboard EQ and the onboard reverb. Vocal mic, as well.

The end result was "usability" (dealing with volume, EQ and reverb on the small panel on the amp itself) identical to the SA, but (for me) a better sound...plugged straight in.

Perhaps you could explain why you feel these systems are not identical in this regard, and why someone would be forced to use additional front-end gear on the BA?
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
IMO it's simply not true at all.

I tested the BA plugged straight in, using the onboard EQ and the onboard reverb. Vocal mic, as well.

The end result was "usability" (dealing with volume, EQ and reverb on the small panel on the amp itself) identical to the SA, but (for me) a better sound...plugged straight in.

Perhaps you could explain why you feel these systems are not identical in this regard, and why someone would be forced to use additional front-end gear on the BA?
Please excuse my ignorance, but to clarify, in your performances you sing and play gtr ?? if so are you saying you like the vocal and gtr sound of the BA over the SA ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but to clarify, in your performances you sing and play gtr ?? if so are you saying you like the vocal and gtr sound of the BA over the SA ??
I am an instrumental-only player, so my evaluations do not include vocals.

I am pretty experienced with this kind of evaluation, and I have no reason to doubt that the BagAmp will be anything but stellar for vocals, this based on it's performance (with rigorous expectations!) dealing with a solo guitar sound.

I did plug in a vocal mic, tested it for speaking, and I *did* also sing a bit (for my own amusement). The neighbors didn't complain.

Time will tell, of course, once the units are out "in the wild."

Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I got those too! Two Mackie SRM450 active speakers and a Mackie DFX-12 Mixer. Plenty of power and flexibilty. Maybe not the best tone for acoustic guitar but decent and they can fry a room with clean sound if the player wants to do so.

Regards,

SpruceTop

Let's see. 400 watts EACH at 51 lbs. apiece. I guess that could be considered "Portable PA"
Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Let's see. 400 watts EACH at 51 lbs. apiece. I guess that could be considered "Portable PA"

That's exactly the point of this sort of gear (Bose, Bag Amp, SoloAmp), and I *think* it was the point of the thread...

I'm *done* hauling heavy speakers and hefting them up on speaker stands. I'm also done carrying rack-space gear, and even carrying lengthy speaker cables, extra monitors (with more cables), etc.

With the new portable gear, none of this excess is necessary...and the sound can be great.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yeah, overall they're a little on the heavy side but if I don't want to use the Mackie setup, I grab my Fishman SoloAmp. The Mackie SRM450 speakers are a good duo/trio/small band PA setup. I also have a pair of the Mackie SRM150 Active Monitor speakers to go with them.

I was just responding to TwinandTwang's post, that's all. Sorry 'bout that.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-15-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
That's exactly the point of this sort of gear (Bose, Bag Amp, SoloAmp), and I *think* it was the point of the thread...

I'm *done* hauling heavy speakers and hefting them up on speaker stands. I'm also done carrying rack-space gear, and even carrying lengthy speaker cables, extra monitors (with more cables), etc.

With the new portable gear, none of this excess is necessary...and the sound can be great.

I agree that was the point of the thread. My last post was a bit sarcastic.

I was just visiting your website and not only was I extremely impressed, but it sheds a whole new light of your opinion of basically anything musical. I certainly wish I could play like that and might even be encouraged to put in some more time.

I wish that I could do a solo act. And when and if that day ever comes, I would certainly look into these ultra-portable units. For now I will stay with as light and portable of a PA as I can as there will definitely be a duo and at times maybe a trio and considering I already have a very good powered board it makes the most sense at this point in time to go this route.

Meanwhile, I encourage anyone considering the differences between these ultra-portable systems should visit Larry's website to get a better understanding that this guy might actually know what he's talking about!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Looking at the BagAmp Website, the new BagAmp has only a one-knob EQ control section and a one-knob Hall reverb control, and no Phase button for each channel. It seems to lack the onboard control that a SoloAmp offers and as you indicated will probably need additional gear such as the soon-to-be-available BagAmp Mixer or another outboard mixer. The BagAmp also lacks the input/output flexibility of the SoloAmp but I'd still like to hear a new BagAmp when they're available.

http://www.bagamp.com/bagamp.html

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
The BagAmp also lacks the input/output flexibility of the SoloAmp
Could you be more specific please?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Looking at the BagAmp Website, the new BagAmp has only a one-knob EQ control section and a one-knob Hall reverb control, and no Phase button for each channel. It seems to lack the onboard control that a SoloAmp offers and as you indicated will probably need additional gear such as the soon-to-be-available BagAmp Mixer or another outboard mixer. The BagAmp also lacks the input/output flexibility of the SoloAmp but I'd still like to hear a new BagAmp when they're available.

http://www.bagamp.com/bagamp.html

Regards,

SpruceTop

I'll state it again.

I plugged in direct, guitar and vocal mic.

I used the existing controls, and I got what I consider to be a great sound.

Period.

As-is, the BagAmp will fully perform the required function (delivering high-quality amplified sound) for a solo guitar player or a solo singer/songwriter/guitarist with NO additional equipment. This assumes one vocal mic, and a guitar with a mono-output signal.

It's correct to state that the SoloAmp, for $300 more, has more I/O features. I personally would not use or need these features...and this may be true for many users. On top of this, having things like effects loops and "tuner-out" jacks are very difficult to use when you're 10-15 feet away from the unit....you either have to use really long cables, or go back to the SA (using short cables) when needing to manipulate an outboard reverb setting, etc.

It's one of the endemic problems with these units...if you put a bunch of controls and features on the amp itself, then you can never really easily get *to* the amp to deal with those controls, since it's never right next to you while in-use. Simple is better.

I have the unit here, in-hand, and have been testing it for what, two weeks now?

How many of the folks stating that additional gear will be required are in possession of a BagAmp?

None?

Okay.

Now, I've previously stated that *I* would be using my front-end gear for my guitar sound...and this would be true regardless of what I would be plugging in to.

Can one improve upon the sound of a SoloAmp or a BagAmp or a Bose unit if they use additional high-end gear?

Absolutely.

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 10-15-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Could you be more specific please?
Checking out the back panels of both amps will reveal the differences:

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll state it again.

I plugged in direct, guitar and vocal mic.

I used the existing controls, and I got what I consider to be a great sound.

Period.

As-is, the BagAmp will fully perform the required function (delivering high-quality amplified sound) for a solo guitar player or a solo singer/songwriter/guitarist with NO additional equipment. This assumes one vocal mic, and a guitar with a mono-output signal.

I have the unit here, in-hand, and have been testing it for what, two weeks now?

How many of the folks stating that additional gear will be required are in possession of a BagAmp?

None?

Okay.

Now, I've previously stated that *I* would be using my front-end gear for my guitar sound...and this would be true regardless of what I would be plugging in to.

Can one improve upon the sound of a SoloAmp or a BagAmp or a Bose unit if they use additional high-end gear?

Absolutely.
Hi Larry,

I don't think anyone is disputing the knowledge that your first-hand experience with the BagAmp has gained you. I'm not. Some players may want or need the extra EQ-control the SoloAmp has onboard though. Maybe. Maybe not.

Thanks for your informative review of the new BagAmp. It compelled me to go to the BagAmp website for more information.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification