The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-13-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
Just tried a telecaster with D'Addario EJ21s on them, felt like an acoustic, not as fast with a pick but fingerstyle was just like an acoustic. Actually sort of like it. Felt like it was more rounded, complex sound.

Anyone else using heavier gauges on an electric guitar? Thoughts?
I put 11-52 on my Eastman El Rey. I've been playing a lot more acoustic than electric and it feels more familiar with the thicker strings, especially with the El Rey's wider neck... feels a lot less jarring when coming from my Taylor or Epiphone acoustics which are all 1.75" nut width. I think the thicker strings helps a lot.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 10-13-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoresNight View Post
I use 11's on my electrics, but it's not because I think bigger is better on electric. I primarily play acoustic, and I use 12's on those. I use a similar gauge on electric to allow for a smoother transition between the two. I went a gauge down on the electric since that style tends to be more strenuous on the fretting hand.
Other than the fact I go down from .013 (acoustic) that change and keeping it from being too drastic is why I'm using .011 on the electric. That & I bend much more on electric than acoustic...
Old 10-13-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Maddchase, are you going to keep 12s on your tele?
It actually wasn't my telecaster, and I have never even thought about going heavier on an electric. But the tele is probably the electric that is on my radar, or a semi hollow body. Tried 9s on my Epiphone SG, and I hate it. I'm going to sell the it and down deposit fund a tele, I might split the difference and go with 11s to start with. I can totally see using heavier gauges on a jazz or blues guitar, certainly feels familiar going from acoustic.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:07 PM

The comment about what strings sound and play best for a guitar is how I ended up with 12's on the Eastman. The stock 10's just sounded thin, and going heavier sounded better to me when I tried them. I tried heavier ones on my Tele, and went back to 10's. I didn't like the tone as much, and pulling off large bends easily is fun.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
It actually wasn't my telecaster, and I have never even thought about going heavier on an electric. But the tele is probably the electric that is on my radar, or a semi hollow body. Tried 9s on my Epiphone SG, and I hate it. I'm going to sell the it and down deposit fund a tele, I might split the difference and go with 11s to start with. I can totally see using heavier gauges on a jazz or blues guitar, certainly feels familiar going from acoustic.
Good luck with your Epi sale and future Tele purchase. Another option is to use heavier gauges for the lower strings and a little lighter on the high strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars