The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM

Default RainSong Carbon Fever!

I'm hoping you Folks can offer some information and opinions on the nature of different guitars in the RainSong line. With the scarcity of carbon fiber guitars in the area I have only been able to get my hands on 2 of the RainSongs, The S-DR1000N2 and the H-DR1100N2 I played them both unplugged.

Regarding the Studio (matte finish) and Hybrid (gloss) lines my understanding is that the major distinguishing feature between the 2 line's is the finish. I've heard people say that There is a "subtle" difference in sound and that "some folks" hear it, others not. . I hear wonderful distinct differences between the guitars. I found that, to my ear the guitars

S-DR1000N2-(studio series) - pronounced high to mid tones (brighter loud crystal sparkling highs tremulous (reverberous) growling resonance in it's mids and lows)

H-DR1100N2-(hybrid series)- pronounced low to mid tones (less bright mellow sweeter warmer highs deeper tighter resonance in it's strong mids and lows - oft described as"woodier")

I found myself attracted to both of these guitars on their own merits and I'm stunned and a little suspicious that something as simple as the texture of a guitars finish can produce such different sonic signatures. I'm very curious about the other "higher end" RainSongs, Concert, Classic, Black Ice, Shorty, BG's and wonder if there is a RainSong guitar which bridges the strengths of two aforementioned guitars, possessing strong defined bass and mids of the H-DR1100N2 with the sparkling highs of the S-DR.

Is there such an animal?
The elixir nanowebs standard on both the guitars are the brightest of the elixir coated according to the Elixir website. I've heard remarks about bone saddles, strings, etc... is there some simple trick which can enhance the high end of an H-DR1100N2?

Is the concert series dread perhaps the answer?
CO-DR1000N2 &CO-DR1100N2- I have noticed this guitar being referred to as being "warmer" than some of the other RainSongs which is generally attributed to the sonic nature of the unidirectional strands of fiber in the top. the highs have been described as more bright and pronounced than the hybrid series. Is it possible that the Concert series Dreads possess "the best of both worlds?

Folks here mentioned that they have played both RainSong H-DR1100N2's and CO-DR1100N2's how do the guitar's compare /contrast?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:20 PM

I upgraded from an H-DR1100N2 to a CO-DR1100N2. I think either could have been my keeper. The CO is much brighter and sounds like a very loud 000. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWYkOpah4K0

The H-DR is closer to a rosewood Martin, to my ear. I did not make a usable video when I owned it.

Even Elixir strings degrade (mellow if you prefer) rather quickly and maybe the dealer where you tried them out will let you restring them both real time, to better test their differences.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the Reply and the Video was very helpful in getting a better sense of the CO-DR1100N2. I was able to play the H-DR and a Rosewood Martin D-28 and was surprised to find that I agree, they do sound similar.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:18 AM

One last comment... The Fishman Matrix system sounds particularly good with my CO-DR1100N2, but I think it does not work as well with the Hybrids or Studios. I used an Aura to make the Matrix system in my now eBayed S-OM1000N2 sound acceptable to my ear. My old H-DR had a MiSi Trio I installed and I was not nearly as happy as I am today with the Matrix Infinity in my CO-DR. The MiSi was not "fixable" with the available Aura images. If I were to get another H-DR, I think I would go with the K&K Mini. To make a recommendation between the H-DR and CO-DR is tough. The CO is louder and bright as a OOO. It really penetrates the mix in a big acoustic jam. I got rapidly used to the brightness and found almost all other guitars (including my S-OM) too muddy. The H-DR fits right in with mainstream rosewood Martins and has an edge in volume/headroom, but is not the canon that the CO can be when you hit it hard. I also used to own a CA Legacy and it was not, to my ear, competitive with the H-DR, though sonically also a Martin sounding instrument.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-30-2012, 07:14 AM

If the two models you tried out were indeed S-DR1000N2 and the H-DR1100N2, one other difference (besides the finish) is that the 1100 model likely doesn't have a pickup installed (that's the difference between the 1000 and 1100 designation). While the sonic impact of installing a UST should be pretty small, it can make a difference.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
If the two models you tried out were indeed S-DR1000N2 and the H-DR1100N2, one other difference (besides the finish) is that the 1100 model likely doesn't have a pickup installed (that's the difference between the 1000 and 1100 designation). While the sonic impact of installing a UST should be pretty small, it can make a difference.
You don't need a UST unless you like them. A K&K Pure Western Mini or (my choice) a JJB Prestige 330 attaches under the bridgeplate and sounds very natural. That's what's in my H-DR1100N2, and I love it. Keeps the 'all weather' concept admirably - no battery inside to worry about.

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwskaggs View Post
You don't need a UST unless you like them. A K&K Pure Western Mini or (my choice) a JJB Prestige 330 attaches under the bridgeplate and sounds very natural. That's what's in my H-DR1100N2, and I love it. Keeps the 'all weather' concept admirably - no battery inside to worry about.
I don't quite understand why you quoted my post, which had nothing to do with the need for a UST. I was merely pointing out that the 1000 model would come with a UST, while the 1100 wouldn't (unless it was added later). I was pointing out that this might help explain some of the differences the OP heard between the two guitars.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 AM

Sorry Brian - I was reading 'on the run', and misinterpreted your post. I agree the USTs make a small difference - enough that I don't like them in my guitars. That really might have been what the OP heard!

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 PM

I think carbon fiber guitars are great. No more worrying about humidity changes messing with your guitar, and they sound really good as well.

Last edited by Lwr49; 05-31-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
You're correct, the S-DR1000N2 had the Fishman Prefix+T installed in the side of the guitar's upper lobe.
I found that the electronics aperture afforded a frank projection of sound up toward the player further enhancing the highs-mids and overall loudness experienced by the guitarist. If you cover the electronics aperture with, say a twice folded hand towel to act as an acoustic damper you'll see what I mean.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 PM

while the pick up can make a difference the finish can make a BIG difference. I have heard guitars by the same maker and same body( model) one has varnish and other gloss. the varnish will sound MUCH livelier. More volume and just punchier. the gloss has a tendency to mute things a bit. although varnish does not protect or let the instrument look good as long. I have heard gloss vssatin even sound quite different. I know a guy who had some of his guitars with gloss taken to a buffer to THIN out the finish more and it brought the guitar to life. It`s a trade off-- good sound vs good protection. YES ther IS a TRADE OFF> anyone that tells you there is not is either lying or does not know what they are talking about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
co-dr1000n2, h-dr1100n2, rainsong, s-dr1000n2