The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorArtist View Post
Stormin:

If THAT was normal specs, I need to consider getting a different brand of guitar. The string were REALLY hard to press. Now they're only a little bit hard.

I can't go back and change the name of the thread (can I?), I just wanted people to know there was a trade-off for getting such a good price. One thread I was reading at the time I started my thread was from a guy who needed a guitar for a gig that was ready to play straight of the box. I know my fingers are weak, but under no circumstances would I consider this guitar ready to play for me straight out of the box. The repairman at the music store had no problem playing scales on the old set-up, but I wanted to play clean, clear chords because the guitar sounds so NICE! I can play a D chord or a C or an E, but the fifth string on a G chord, I'm having REAL trouble with. To play it cleanly, I have to press the high G with my pinky finger, and play the two bass notes with my first and second fingers. Maybe it's just a matter of time. I've forgotten a LOT when it comes to moving my fingers around the fretboard!
Yes, you can change the thread title.

But, as I said in an earlier post, a guitar should not be judged on the action. Many things affect action and even very expensive guitars, in their travels, could have high action when you receive it.

It's glad that you like how it sounds. Any Guild is a good guitar. I have the previous model of yours... a GAD version and it sounds very good. Just keep playing and you'll get calluses and it'll be easier to play.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-26-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I can't go back and change the name of the thread (can I?)
To change the name of the thread (Title):

1) Go to your post #1
2) Click "Edit" in the bottom right
3) Click "Go Advanced"
4) Make the changes
5) Click "Preview Changes" or "Save Changes"
Old 04-26-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Stormin:

If THAT was normal specs, I need to consider getting a different brand of guitar.
To reiterate, this is not a Guild specific thing. The vast majority of guitars (regardless of brand) will have higher action than what you posted your Guild had out of the box (particularly since your measurements were crow to center of string).

It really seems like it comes down to the fact hat you haven’t played in a really long time and that your hands might be a bit weaker as well.

I took 10 years off from playing and it took me 4-5 months to get my calluses and dexterity back to a reasonable level.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:21 PM

Just sounds like a guitar that was sitting in a warehouse and then shipped through who knows what kind of temperature changes, and may be in need of a setup.

Like almost every acoustic that you order online
Old 04-27-2018, 06:53 AM

To All who replied to this thread:

Well, I changed the title of the thread. I hope my change reflects a more accurate representation of the direction the replies took. The strings were a LITTLE bit high for my tastes out of the box. The rest was all due the strength of my

fingers which should get better after a couple of months. I want to thank everyone who replied to this thread; you gave me much to think about, and the most important lesson--don't jump to conclusions. The Guild F-150 guitar has a

great sound, and I'm sorry that the Guild Company chose to discontinue making this fine guitar. Also, to the Sam Ash Music Company--thanks for giving me a great price on a great guitar. If it wasn't for your price, I probably wouldn't have

made this purchase.

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-27-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
To change the name of the thread (Title):

1) Go to your post #1
2) Click "Edit" in the bottom right
3) Click "Go Advanced"
4) Make the changes
5) Click "Preview Changes" or "Save Changes"
Guitar George:

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing1208 View Post
To reiterate, this is not a Guild specific thing. The vast majority of guitars (regardless of brand) will have higher action than what you posted your Guild had out of the box (particularly since your measurements were crow to center of string).

It really seems like it comes down to the fact hat you haven’t played in a really long time and that your hands might be a bit weaker as well.

I took 10 years off from playing and it took me 4-5 months to get my calluses and dexterity back to a reasonable level.
Little Wing:

I'm just impatient...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion