The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-07-2018, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Apparently new Mac Pro pushed back to 2019

According to this article and a few others Apple seems to be taking a serious approach to the needs of Professional users

#1 Apple definitely plans on keeping the Mac Pro DeskTop in the lineup for the foreseeable future

#2 It also appears that they have listened to the users of Mac Pro and are moving away from the Round non upgradable current format , and the new generation will be of a "modular" design (whatever that means) Hopefully it means users will at least have easy access to install multiple PCIe cards into slots for flexibility of configuration

#3 It looks like there will be no launch in 2018 and is slated for no sooner than 2019

from the article , "I was given the day’s first piece of news: the long-awaited Mac Pro update will not arrive before 2019."

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/apples-2019-imac-pro-will-be-shaped-by-workflows/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-07-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

There have been rumors that it would be discontinued so I'm glad to see that Apple is going to continue the Mac Pro. That's good news!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
There have been rumors that it would be discontinued so I'm glad to see that Apple is going to continue the Mac Pro. That's good news!
Yes and hopefully it will have the flexibility I would like to see. Like being able to run my ProTools HDN card in the machine , without having to have an external box .
The timeline for me is no problem, as I fully expect another 3-5 years out of my current 2010 Mac Pro.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 04-07-2018, 09:12 AM

My landlord/friend across the hall has PT on a trashcan. There seems to be a lot not to like about it.

Couch Standards
Old 04-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
My landlord/friend across the hall has PT on a trashcan. There seems to be a lot not to like about it.
I am guessing especially if you use a number of Cards the Trashcan can be quite problematic.
In fact I opted to upgrade my "cheesegrater" because of the lack of PCIe slots on the 'trashcan"
In the article it does state that Apple realizes that the Trashcan was perhaps not the best idea for many users

But in all fairness though it seems that the "trashcan's" usefulness and desirability are very dependent on the specific use requirements, as I do know a few people that love thiers.

Hopefully this new " Modular" design will make the machine very scalable and thus more useful to a much larger number of potential users

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I thought I was waiting on the new Mac Pro but my old Mac Pro had other ideas. However, I'm glad it crapped out when it did because it probably saved me thousands of dollars. I spent $3k ...probably $4k when you figure in the hard drives and the Akitia Thunder3... but that's likely to be at least a couple of thousand less than the basic Mac Pro is going to cost when the new one is finally released.

If it costs $5k for the most basic iMac Pro, what do you think will be the entry level cost point for the Mac Pro? I'm guessing $6k-$7k. By the time you upgrade the RAM and system drive, you're probably near $8k. Who's in for that amount?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-07-2018, 10:11 AM

I saw the article as a PR effort to confront the "not in 2017 and not this year either" issues with Apple's de-emphasis of desktop computers.

I've never run a huge corporation, so who am I to judge, but it just seems odd that a company with the wealth of Apple couldn't have roughly annual refreshes of it's desktop computer lines. I know Intel's Xeon/workstation CPU development runs at a slower pace but still. Even if there's not a CPU refresh, a GPU refresh or greater RAM and SSD capacity at the same (or heaven forbid, lower) price. Probably has something to do with "opportunity costs." After all if you can sell tons of $1000 phones refreshed annually, there's where the money is.

As my Virtual Instrument use has increased, I'm starting to have to think about the limits of my pair of older Mac Minis. The iMac Pro would be costly for me, and even a garden-variety iMac would cover my projected needs I guess. For the cost of an iMac/iMac Pro I wish I could get the form-factor I want (tower or mini) but as they say: If wishes were horses, there's be a lot more road-apples to deal with.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I thought I was waiting on the new Mac Pro but my old Mac Pro had other ideas. However, I'm glad it crapped out when it did because it probably saved me thousands of dollars. I spent $3k ...probably $4k when you figure in the hard drives and the Akitia Thunder3... but that's likely to be at least a couple of thousand less than the basic Mac Pro is going to cost when the new one is finally released.

If it costs $5k for the most basic iMac Pro, what do you think will be the entry level cost point for the Mac Pro? I'm guessing $6k-$7k. By the time you upgrade the RAM and system drive, you're probably near $8k. Who's in for that amount?
Of course it is all speculation but hopefully if it really is modular then the base cost could be lower than you might think. Given the iMac Pro has a top of the line display on board and some very tricky thermal issues to deal with, which I am guessing could be $1k of the base cost

A base Mac Pro currently is $3 k so depending what CPU and GPU in the new Mac Pro units it could be at a 4k -5 k base

But given the current iMac Pro can run almost $14k maxed out I am guessing the new Mac Pro topped out will be in the $15k - $20 k range

There is also some talk over on MacRumors that Apple is looking at their developing their own CPU and a new Display for the new Mac Pro

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-07-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:32 PM

It's disappointing news. Many of us have been holding out for a real "pro" desktop for years only to be put off again.

I'm somewhat tempted to just grab an iMac Pro...but I really hate the "all in one" mentality of the iMacs. Plus, I want real expandability. And they are overpriced for what you get (IMO).

I've been using Apple computers since before there were Macs...and I'm struggling with why I'm still holding out for Apple these days after being disappointed time & again over the past several years (since the Trash Can announcement, really). I could run my studio on a custom built Windows powerhouse for about 3k all in. The practical part of me says "it just makes sense"...but I still resist because I've been so loyal to Apple. I was hoping to upgrade this year. Now I have to decide if I can wait another year+. If I can't I have a very hard decision to make.

I also feel like this isn't as important to them as they want everyone to believe. If they took resources from the iCar & the rest of the iGadgets, they could have knocked out a killer Mac Pro in 6 months. It's not like they never had a great "pro" machine. It's not a completely new product for them.

I'm just frustrated & disappointed. And my work schedule isn't going to wait just because Apple isn't ready yet.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 05-21-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
It's disappointing news. Many of us have been holding out for a real "pro" desktop for years only to be put off again.

I'm somewhat tempted to just grab an iMac Pro...but I really hate the "all in one" mentality of the iMacs. Plus, I want real expandability. And they are overpriced for what you get (IMO).

I've been using Apple computers since before there were Macs...and I'm struggling with why I'm still holding out for Apple these days after being disappointed time & again over the past several years (since the Trash Can announcement, really). I could run my studio on a custom built Windows powerhouse for about 3k all in. The practical part of me says "it just makes sense"...but I still resist because I've been so loyal to Apple. I was hoping to upgrade this year. Now I have to decide if I can wait another year+. If I can't I have a very hard decision to make.

I also feel like this isn't as important to them as they want everyone to believe. If they took resources from the iCar & the rest of the iGadgets, they could have knocked out a killer Mac Pro in 6 months. It's not like they never had a great "pro" machine. It's not a completely new product for them.

I'm just frustrated & disappointed. And my work schedule isn't going to wait just because Apple isn't ready yet.
One man’s opinion: Apple should spin off its computer division. All of it. Let a team that actually cares about the computers keep those incredibly loyal customers happy, so the rest of the company can go play with the newest shiny gadgets. Frankly, given the company’s culture, it’s not hard to foresee the day when even iPhones become “boring, established” products and suffer the same neglect as the computer line - while management chases the iShoe, iFork, etc.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 05-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
One man’s opinion: Apple should spin off its computer division. All of it. Let a team that actually cares about the computers keep those incredibly loyal customers happy, so the rest of the company can go play with the newest shiny gadgets. Frankly, given the company’s culture, it’s not hard to foresee the day when even iPhones become “boring, established” products and suffer the same neglect as the computer line - while management chases the iShoe, iFork, etc.
Yes they are no doubt are thrilled at the huge success of the iPhone and now iWatch and justifiably so. But I do not see them spinning off computers, the Mac line is still profitable for them and while not the sales numbers of the Watch and Phone they still do fairly well for the company.

But in the spirit of the shoe and fork , lets not overlook the possibility for the iToilet, that could send a message to your iWatch to let you know when you are full of it.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes they are no doubt are thrilled at the huge success of the iPhone and now iWatch and justifiably so. But I do not see them spinning off computers, the Mac line is still profitable for them and while not the sales numbers of the Watch and Phone they still do fairly well for the company.

But in the spirit of the shoe and fork , lets not overlook the possibility for the iToilet, that could send a message to your iWatch to let you know when you are full of it.
Creating its own new category that will be familiar to all here ... iGAS.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD