The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-11-2019, 01:05 PM

What I dislike the most is seeing a thread started innocently by someone who is obviously a novice seeking info, opinion, advice, or access to experience and the first four or five replies are laced with condescension, sarcasm, and the the old "you must be a moron, that topic has been covered extensively" type of reply.

While I have played guitar for a long, long time and can get annoyed by some threads started with those repeated "what strings are best" questions I can honestly remember a time when I might have asked the same question if there would have been an online guitar forum available by just whipping out my cell phone.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I hate the resurrected 10 page zombie threads. Jeeze, the OP got their answer 8 years ago...
Agreed. On some forums threads will automatically close the possibilty of new posts if they've been dormant for more than a year. You can still read them for reference, but not add to them.

I think this would be a good strategy for AGF.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Yeah, it's a pain to read through the first page and realize I've got to post an answer, then continue reading and discover I've already posted the answer on page 8.
And again 4 years later on page 14...
Old 03-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have on numerous occasions not responded to a thread because what I would say has already been stated by a number of people. Other times I do respond depending on how strong I feel about the topic or the mood I am in at the time.

I get more annoyed about people who post when they obviously haven't read all of the posts than I do how long the thread becomes.

It is funny how some threads I think won't go anywhere and manage to go on and on. Others I think will really take off and they just seem to sink like a stone.

Best,
Jayne
+1 on this, and for me it also depends how involved the OP is in responding to previous comments / recommendation.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 03-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
What I dislike the most is seeing a thread started innocently by someone who is obviously a novice seeking info, opinion, advice, or access to experience and the first four or five replies are laced with condescension, sarcasm, and the the old "you must be a moron, that topic has been covered extensively" type of reply.

While I have played guitar for a long, long time and can get annoyed by some threads started with those repeated "what strings are best" questions I can honestly remember a time when I might have asked the same question if there would have been an online guitar forum available by just whipping out my cell phone.
I absolutely agree with this.

I think some people just want this forum to become an archive and let’s ban new posts.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post

I agree and notice the sarcasm if things aren't asked the right way. Some need basic info and just don't search the forum. Good post here.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Do you think it worth adding to a thread once it is more than 5 or 6 pages long?
Sometimes we don't even know what a thread is "really" about until page five or six.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Whewww!.....Only on page 2 so I can respond. SM: some truth to what you say. After 5 or 6 pages how many of us read thru them all to see if there's already been 12 other posts that said the same thing we're about to write? I will say though that some posts are responses to others within the thread, not just responding to the OP. So it becomes a group conversation. That part is one of the best things about AGF IMHO....as long as we have fun.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:44 PM

I tend not to post to threads longer than five pages or more. Mainly because I may have already posted and I'm too lazy to look through everything to see.

Then sometimes I stay away because after a few pages, the OP has morphed from "What strings should I use on my new Yamaha?" to a heated controversy and discussion on the imported steel some manufacturer allegedly uses to make their strings.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-11-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Do you think it worth adding to a thread once it is more than 5 or 6 pages long?
Only if you have read all the posts and feel that you have something new to add to the original topic. Quite often I repeat the title just to get back on track.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 PM

I didn't have time to read any of this, but a rocket powered skateboard sounds pretty dangerous.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 03-11-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Yeah, it's a pain to read through the first page and realize I've got to post an answer, then continue reading and discover I've already posted the answer on page 8.
Yup, been there. Done that.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Then sometimes I stay away because after a few pages, the OP has morphed from "What strings should I use on my new Yamaha?" to a heated controversy and discussion on the imported steel some manufacturer allegedly uses to make their strings.
Jamie, haha, this made me laugh... mostly b/c it's true.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

I think this thread has the potential to roll and roll..........anyone care to take bets as to how many pages we will see
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-11-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I think this thread has the potential to roll and roll..........anyone care to take bets as to how many pages we will see
Over/under is 5-6 pages.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic