The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Good multichannel mic mixer

Considering picking up the Gemini PA that's on Stupid Deal today, but consensus is that it needs the EQ capability of an outboard mixer. Problem is that I search for a 6-channel mixer and come up with scads of options that actually have only 2 mic inputs with a number of stereo/¼" inputs. I sometimes perform with two or more other vocalists. Anyone aware of the perfect mixer that offers multiple XLR input options?

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 PM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ith-usb-and-fx

This may work for you. Four XLR and six 1/4" sockets.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks; I'll check it out!

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 02-08-2019, 02:12 PM

Default mixer options

I am also curious about the gemini deal of day and posted to see if anyone here has had experience. The lack of response and info makes me question if it is worth the investment, as cheap as the price, it might reflect the sound and quality. There was one comment on a utube review where someone said they liked the sound over the bose system, for what that might be worth,...maybe worth nothing??

for mixers, if you just need a small unit, I bought soundcraft Notepad 8FX, as it has clean inputs, known high quality, good price and lexicon effects for $90 when I got a holiday discount. I think it is a good match for the gemini and way better quality than the behringer one people tend to buy that would likely buy. It is $130 today, but they do have a warehouse deal now for $83 which I have had great luck with in past, but maybe no warranty, which probably is not worth much anyway (?). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For more inputs and features, I like my yamaha MG12XU, but at $329, it goes for more than the gemini. But google it and see if any deals, I think it tends to hold the price. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope someone in the know will set us straight on if the Gemini deal of the day is worth it or will be problematic and/or have poor sound?
Old 02-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

My gut feeling is that the Gemini would be adequate but nothing to get excited about, and though it has good features, I suspect the sound would be only okay. Think I"m gonna hold off. Stupid Deals require hurrying, and unless I already know it's something I want or need, I'm usually better off passing. I'm seeing a used Fishman SA200 for only a hundred bucks more and giving that more serious consideration. Thanks for the tips and links on the mixers. I'll check them out.

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 02-08-2019, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Went online and checked out the Soundcraft you mentioned, but it only has 2 mic inputs. So I went to their next level, the 12FX, and it looks promising. Only thing I'm wondering is whether this will make my Presonus Audio Interface redundant or unneeded. I got the Presonus to record, while I'm thinking of this for live performance, but it would also give me the ability to record more than two vocals simultaneously - my main goal at the moment. Is there a simpler solution, or should I probably accept the redundancy in the face of greater recording flexibility (and the ability to use this with a small PA like the Fishman SA200 or something similar)?

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 02-08-2019, 06:51 PM

I am no expert on any of this, but I think the presonus is good at what it does, digital recording interface, but it is not the same as a mixer with different types of inputs with EQ and effects and maybe monitor outs. Yeah, I am holding off as well, I have nice QSC and can always use my fishman performer amp as a small PA. I bet the fishman PA you found is good, but do some homework, I recall some poor design flaws and issues people were having with them, can't remember the details, but it is on this forum and elsewhere on line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification