The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-13-2013, 08:48 PM

Default "let ring"--how to play this

Hello. You can see in the piece below that there are two five-note bits with the instructions to "let ring." How exactly do I do that? If I'm letting those five notes "ring," does that mean I should be muting all the other notes in the piece so they don't "ring out"?

Is there some bit of playing lead blues that I've missed out on--like I should be muting every note after its duration in the notation?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 PM

Generally, you would continue to hold the played notes throughout the passage, don't lift any fingers right up to the slide.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Just let the five notes continue ringing while playing the five notes, rather than say lifting off the E note before reaching the G note. Play the rest of the piece as you normally would. It's more awkward to explain it than it is to play it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-13-2013, 08:57 PM

Well, that makes sense. The author, John Ganapes of "Blue You Can Use," has given instructions to hold an open A7 chord while playing those bits and not to finger the notes individually.

Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write