The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
So true on not enough lows
You can add a subwoofer to the SoloAmp and still be cheaper than the Bose system, and have a real subwoofer rather than the low mid modules Bose offers.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM

Which sub do you think?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
You can add a subwoofer to the SoloAmp and still be cheaper than the Bose system, and have a real subwoofer rather than the low mid modules Bose offers.
Hmmm. The idea has merit!
Like Kramster asked, which sub would be a good match with the Soloamp?
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I use a Bose L1 Model II with T1 Audio Engine, and one or two B1 Bass Modules.

Bose doesn't generally publish their speaker specifications because they've always been a company that wants users to rely on their ears when listening to their products. Bose does make in-depth specifications available at the links listed below and in Bose Engineering White Papers. I've provided the following links for referencing Bose L1 Series speaker specifications:

L1 Model II:

http://worldwide.bose.com/pro/en_us/...del2/page.html

L1 Compact:

http://worldwide.bose.com/pro/en_us/...pact/page.html

For quick reference, I've posted the following specs for the L1 Model II and L1 Compact:

Bose L1 Model II Specs:
Frequency Response (+/-3 dB)
40 Hz - 12 kHz

Frequency Range (-10 dB)
32 Hz - 14 kHz

Nominal Dispersion
195° H x 0° V (interpretation: a slice of sound 84" inches high x 195 Degrees Horizontal)

Maximum SPL @ 1 m
115 dB SPL (121 dB SPL peak)

Bose Compact Specs:
Frequency Response (+/-3 dB)
65 Hz - 14 kHz

Frequency Range (-10 dB)
50 Hz - 16 kHz

Nominal Dispersion
180° H x 40° V

Maximum SPL @ 1 m
106 dB SPL (112 dB SPL peak)
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-03-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Rich,

The L1 Model II and the new L1 1S, provide bass response that will cover the lowest notes on an electric bass, The frequency response on these systems is:

40 Hz - 12 kHz (+/-3 dB) and 32 - 14 kHz (-10 dB)

Thus, the larger Bose systems are in the full-bass range and not low-mid range.

The Bose L1 Compact, to which you may have been referring, only goes down to the high-bass/low-mid frequency range, with its overall frequency response being:

65 Hz - 14 kHz (+/-3 dB) and 50 Hz - 16 kHz (-10 dB)

In my post before this one, I've posted links to Bose Professional web pages where more in-depth speaker specifications can be referenced.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 PM

QSC K10 and A&H Zed10fx

Only purchased 1 QSC so far (will ultimately get another one) but 1 speaker has handled a room recently with about 150 people
Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM

Default Qsc k10

I use the K10's. They're as good as my EV's but half the weight. I prefer them over the K12's too. I tried the Bose on a gig and they didn't have the poke I needed and they were too treble happy but very portable! Mackie have brought out a similar speaker, although, Mackie are hit and miss or have a look at the Wharfdale Titan active speakers as a friend of mine has an 8" and says it's great.
National Tricone Style 1.5 (2013)
Sigma 000R-42, DR-45 (2013)
Fender USA Strat Ash Deluxe (2014)
Tokai Goldstar, Shell Pink with Bare Knuckle's (1998)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (wine red) 2015
Gretsch G5420T (2014)
Fender Blues Duluxe (George Benson) 2014
Fender Twin (1970) silverface, JBL's
Wampler Pedals
Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 PM

I have 2 QSC K10's and A&H MixWizard. We usually have 6 musicians. I can get all mic stands, speaker stands, mic bag, cables, speakers, mixer, etc in the trunk of my car. It's a great sounding system that's rather compact. My guitar has to go in the back seat though. Our old system would have to hauled around in a pickup truck.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

...speaking from experience i think that middle aged fat guys need the exercise and therefore suggest that you just use your already awesome sounding setup and use the money you save to buy something sparkly for you wife....snickering as i duck....
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 PM

I think the answer here is all about your priorities. You already have some good gear to work with. The Bose and SA220 systems are very similar in their purpose and application, but they're still significantly different, feature and sound-wise. I have and use the SA220 and absolutely love it, because it has what I want. And for those who suggest other systems or even acoustic amps, I wonder what they do for monitors, or if their set-up looks and works as well, monitor-wise. I mean yeah, you can set an amp up on a table in front of or next to you, but I don't think that looks too good, and once you get into any volume at all, you may not be able to hear it very well. And if you put it behind you, there can be feedback to contend with. The Bose and SA systems solve all that, in one small package, by getting the speakers up high, over head level, and behind you, so they double as a great monitor system too. My money, for your application, is on one of them, depending on the features and sound you need and the budget you have. Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

Last edited by slewis; 12-08-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 PM

I went from a large (-ish) Yamaha set up (two powered speakers, 12-channel board) to a Fishman SoloAmp in the latter part of 2010. The convenience factor weighed heavily on my mind and ultimately drove my decision to do so.

The SoloAmp is a wonderful piece of gear that does a lot of things well. I used it in a variety of rooms and halls and with a variety of set-ups (condensers for vocal and guitar, SM58 for vocals and condenser for guitar and SM58 for vocal/ direct in with K&K PWM for the guitar) and it always played well. As such, I would sing its praises to a variety of people in a specific playing situation- namely, solo artists who never have to consider adding another person to their gigs. That's not me, however, and after the honeymoon period wore off and I got to know the SA220 pretty intimately, I began to hear what many people hear in the SA220- it's just a bit too amp like for my tastes, not to mention that it's not flexible enough to incorporate other performers.

So, I sold it and bought a single QSC K10 and Allen & Heath ZED10FX which has worked extremely well since. I am able to make two trips from the car into the venue (one for my guitar and mandolin and the other for the sound gear). I pack cables, the mixer (in a large Timbuk2 laptop case- which is wonderful), mics and even my CD sale bin in a large suitcase, have the various stands and things in a bag over my shoulder and the speaker. What's more, I have used this set-up to mic myself solo, myself and an upright bass player friend in a duo situation, my old time band (banjo, fiddle, bass, guitar) and in a small venue for a rock band where drums didn't need to be amplified.

Flexible much?

Ultimately, as many here have already said, you have to take into account a few different things:
- convenience is good, flexibility is better
- portability is easily attainable with any set up if due diligence is done and logistics are carefully thought out
- the necessitation for massive set-ups, racks, speakers bigger than 12", etc. is rare, though it does happen. Be honest with yourself about the places you play and what is the minimum amount of sound reinforcement you require and allow that to drive your decision.

Best of luck in your choice. There are plenty of wonderful people around who have a lot of experience and who are willing to discuss with you the things they've learned over the years.

Be well, play on.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 PM

OP here.

Definitely thinking about replacing my pair of QSC K12s with a couple K10s.

Also, seriously thinking about going from my Presonus SL 16.0.2 to a Mackie DL1608 mixer.

Wish I could afford a good wireless mic and guitar set up. I hate dealing with cables about as much as anything else.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:37 PM

I've got a rack with a 12 channel Mackie mixer, Lexicon MXR200, and a Behringer 2 channel 31 band eq. I run this through two EV powered speakers and it sounds great.
But I still use my Fishman soloamp with a LR Baggs PARA whenever possible.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 PM

"...not to mention that it's not flexible enough to incorporate other performers."

I'll be the first to admit that the SA220 has its limitations, as any solo-geared system would, but a heck of a lot of people have added a small mixer to the SA and absolutely incorporated other performers into their set-up. Just sayin'!....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM

My QSC K8 speakers have worked perfectly for guitars and vocals indoor and outdoors. The whole rig fits in my mustang.
I have huge PA that I rarely use that requires several trucks to move.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification