The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 PM

Default "Slash" Chords (like C/D, or D/F#)

Hey everyone. I just wanted to know if there was a good rule of thumb for figuring out the "slash chords", like the ones in the title, C/D or D/F#. I know that if the chord is, say D/F#, it's a D chord with an F# in the bass. But some of the chords aren't easy to figure out, like a G/E. Anyone else struggle with these?
Old 12-26-2009, 03:18 PM

Try www.chordfind.com It's a great site and has your G/E too.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 12-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showngo2000 View Post
...Anyone else struggle with these?
Hi showngo…
Most of us at first, but there are first position solutions to most of them and they are not any harder to learn than chords with the root on the bottom (normal chords).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-27-2009, 07:36 AM

Once I got better at muting and started playing with my fingers instead of a pick I saw a Keb Mo DVD. He said you don't have to play every note, that is when the light turned on for me.. Now I think in terms of the chord on the high strings with the fingers over the bass note on the low strings with my thumb, sometimes even wrapping the left hand thumb around the neck.

If I'm playing guitar at church with a hour practice to run through four or five songs I just think grab the chord, normally the piano or bassist (normally me)will grab the slash . Later on my own when I start working through a song to add more since I am then playing solo I go through the chord over bass note thinking as well as trying different voicings in the different positions of the neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write