The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I remember dialing into NetZero, lol. And how excited I was when I got my 14.4 fax/modem. How about those old Bulletin boards?
And the beautiful sweet sound of the modem making a connection. Ahhhh, the good old days.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:39 AM

I pay for 200 mb/s and get between 130 & 140 mb/s download and about 30 -40 mb/s upload.

Where I live it's a scam between Cablevision (Optimum) and Verizon.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I have Mediacom cable. I pay for 100/10, and in practice get about 130/13. That’s more than adequate for our needs - 3 people in the house, an astonishing 25 connected devices, and streaming HD TV.

My only alternative is CenturyLink DSL, and all they can offer is 12Mb/s service.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

No idea. I remember getting our first computer and I knew every kilowhoozis and every megawhatzis. There was no giga anything.

Now, I turn it on and it does what I want. That’s all I need.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
And the beautiful sweet sound of the modem making a connection. Ahhhh, the good old days.
Yes, it's a unique sound, isn't it? Especially when you crank called someone and that's what they heard .
Old 03-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

I have EERO wireless access points. The main device does a speed check from the provider, Cox Cable, to the access point every morning. I consistently get at least 300 down, 31 up. Since I am paying for 300/30 ($97 per month) I am satisfied.

Gigabit service recently became available in my neighborhood but I would have to upgrade my cable modem ($180) and pay for a technician to come to the house. For once I paused a minute to ask myself do I really need the faster speed or just want it. Even more amazing, I decided to stay with what I have.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 03-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
When we moved here there was no broadband available. We’ve had this for a few years now. We pay around $23/month for internet.

The service provides symmetrical (equal upload and download) 1-Gigabit-per-second (1Gbps) Active Ethernet (dedicated fiber links) connectivity between each subscriber location and the Internet Point of Presence. The network connects from the Point of Presence to the Internet Service Provider (ISP) at 2-Gigabits-per-second (2Gbps).
That speed for $23 a month?!!!! I pay that for the same sort of advertised service Silly M gets. In the UK, we are waaaay behind the internet you statesiders can get. Just ran a test - latency 67ms, 34.8 down and 8.4 up.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
That speed for $23 a month?!!!! I pay that for the same sort of advertised service Silly M gets. In the UK, we are waaaay behind the internet you statesiders can get. Just ran a test - latency 67ms, 34.8 down and 8.4 up.
I misspoke. Actually, I should point out that the total monthly charge is actually higher than $23 until the town pays off the infrastructure costs, loan paybacks and other associated costs. My total monthly charge for internet is $45/month. The base charge is $23. Still a good deal. We can also get landline phone service for about $30/month if we want.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here’s mine. We have Municipal fiber direct to our homes. We voted as a town to install our own system with grants, local expertise and a bump in property taxes. I think we were the first in the country to accomplish this — or so they say. It’s like lightning!

Paul, that really is fast. Good on your town for providing this service.
Question:
Is that a hardwire Ethernet connection speed or are you getting these kinds of speeds over WiFi ? That would really be amazing.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

With Comcast entry level service (the cheapest in our area), I get:

17.9 Mbps download and 3.3 Mbps upload.

This is fine with me since I don't have streaming subscriptions and is fast enough for typical downloads I may need to do. Also, no matter the bandwidth one has available, your actual performance to any server will be as fast as the slowest component between you and that server, not to mention how well the server handles whatever loads it is dealing with at that moment.

For those who want the various subscriptions to streaming services, I am reasonably sure those servers are equipped to handle the demands of a large number of users, and the extra bandwidth on the client side is worth the cost, as long as there isn't a slower router or other piece of equipment somewhere in the route between you and the host server.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 03-04-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Paul, that really is fast. Good on your town for providing this service.
Question:
Is that a hardwire Ethernet connection speed or are you getting these kinds of speeds over WiFi ? That would really be amazing.
That’s on my iPad using a WiFi while streaming on my television.

Pretty consistent too. Here’s a screenshot I just took during Prime Time while I’m streaming Leaving Neverland on HBO GO.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 03-04-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That’s on my iPad using a WiFi while streaming on my television.

Pretty consistent too. Here’s a screenshot I just took during Prime Time while I’m streaming Leaving Neverland on HBO GO.

That’s terrific service. Super!
I have 100/100 (supposedly), but over wifi am lucky to get 75. Still adequate, but a turtle pace compared to your numbers.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic