The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommunch View Post
I had read it was a 400 band EQ with up to 180° of phase shift made to each band to match the pickup sound to each of the mics used. I’ve used the Aura pedals with solid-body acoustics with good results. Often I’ve used images other than the specified model in the Aura Gallery with different guitars to get the desired sound. My favorite was usually the Ed Gerhard Neumann KM84. It seems they spent a lot of time on that image - probably with Ed’s help. I just recently got the Martins with the Aura F1+ system so I didn’t have to carry the pedals. I think Fishman’s method was similar to Cliff Henricksen’s presets on the Bose Tonematch system that were done with two 32-band EQ’s by ear.
I've attempted to model other guitars using long-sustaining guitars (a solid-body and a chambered body), but it just didn't float my boat. I couldn't get past the fact that those guitars had a slower note decay than the guitars which I was attempting to model.

My genuine modeling successes were with guitars similar to the AAT - thin-bodied guitars with a relatively dry sound and a quick note decay. One of those guitars (a 00 size Cort) was actually an Aura guitar with its own model-specific sound images. It sounded much better, however, when I set the onboard Aura system for 100% dry pickup and used it with one of the Aura Spectrum DI's OM sound images.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Keen to know what you think of the tones here...
I've already said it but the acoustic tones are amazing for a plugged-in sound.
I tried to listen to the vid without watching and could easily imagine someone with an acoustic guitar and a good pickup in it.
Add to the package the electric tones and it's a great two-in-one guitar.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I've attempted to model other guitars using long-sustaining guitars (a solid-body and a chambered body), but it just didn't float my boat. I couldn't get past the fact that those guitars had a slower note decay than the guitars which I was attempting to model.

My genuine modeling successes were with guitars similar to the AAT - thin-bodied guitars with a relatively dry sound and a quick note decay. One of those guitars (a 00 size Cort) was actually an Aura guitar with its own model-specific sound images. It sounded much better, however, when I set the onboard Aura system for 100% dry pickup and used it with one of the Aura Spectrum DI's OM sound images.
Yeah, the decay thing always messes with me too. Sounds like a bunch of compression added.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Sounds really good to me! Nice and Woody.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I think Fishman’s method was similar to Cliff Henricksen’s presets on the Bose Tonematch system that were done with two 32-band EQ’s by ear.
It's more complex than that. If you like technical details you can read the patent
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6448488B1/en

or read this thread
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=447334
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-04-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
It should be possible thought. Sim-1 is able to model a telecaster from a Les Paul. (see patent)
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2016166675A1/en

They measure the Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release characteristic of the source and target instruments and they modulate the envelop of notes to match the target. That is typically something that is not in Fishman or Tonedexter patent that I find fascinating.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
It's more complex than that. If you like technical details you can read the patent

or read this thread
I didn't realize they patented it in 1999. I haven't found reference to it yet that this is definitely the Aura.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:

or read this thread
But it has to be the Aura since it talks about mic simulations.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
But it has to be the Aura since it talks about mic simulations.
It is they patented the idea before being able to make it work.
Fishman article in Premier guitar
https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...digital-divide

From KVR audio, Fishman quote:

Quote:

Die Andreas do The Aura?
That's how we met. A few years later we (Fishman Transducers) had developed the concept for Aura and gotten a patent on it, and all the sudden I get a call from Andras and he says, "Larry, this is Andras. I'm working on something here at Akai and I just saw your patent."
I got together with the president of Akai and we decided that—because I'd already got the patents, but I was struggling with the hardware and having trouble with the computer and battery life and this and that, we should do a collaborative thing under the Fishman name. When Akai was acquired Andras joined us full time to work on our digital products.he Aura
That's how we met. A few years later we (Fishman Transducers) had developed the concept for Aura and gotten a patent on it, and all the sudden I get a call from Andras and he says, "Larry, this is Andras. I'm working on something here at Akai and I just saw your patent."
I got together with the president of Akai and we decided that—because I'd already got the patents, but I was struggling with the hardware and having trouble with the computer and battery life and this and that, we should do a collaborative thing under the Fishman name. When Akai was acquired Andras joined us full time to work on our digital products.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Last edited by Cuki79; 02-04-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
It should be possible thought. Sim-1 is able to model a telecaster from a Les Paul. (see patent)
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2016166675A1/en

They measure the Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release characteristic of the source and target instruments and they modulate the envelop of notes to match the target. That is typically something that is not in Fishman or Tonedexter patent that I find fascinating.
If a Variax guitar can imitate a banjo, it must be possible to quicken the note decay. I just couldn't do it with a DTAR Mama Bear or an Aura Spectrum DI.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:

Excellent tones there!!
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 02-06-2019, 05:06 PM

Default OLD Alternative - 1995 TLAC-100

I bought this a bit over a year ago - serves me very well, mostly in a classic rock band situation, mainly as an acoustic rhythm guitar.

This is a 1995 Fender TLAC-100 Thinline Telecaster MIJ. It plays very nicely and smoothly and sounds "good". I had an expert setup done by the wonderful Spencer Deaton here in North Texas, who also added the bridge pickup to boost the electric-twang capability. I bought it off eBay in October 2017, and played a gig with it right away, even before the setup - sounded fine, but intonation and action needed tuning done right away.

There's not much info that I've found on it. I don't even know its official name - Acoustasonic, Acoustisonic, Thinline.. .. I think TLAC-100 is accurate, model id for TeLecaster ACoustic, built in Japan in early to mid 1990's. I read a description saying the sound and electronics are based on "Mike Christensen Piezo saddle pickup which can be blended in or out with the Lace sensor and also with it being semi hollow sounding great plugged in or acoustic". As I said, it just "sounds good". Certainly none of the Aura Image capability at all - no spruce vs mahogany or Dreadnaught vs Concert, but it does not Piezo Quack either, at all. In a band situation, the TYPE of acoustic sound is not discernable (to me), but I CAN tell the difference between Acoustic or Twang.

The neck Lace broadens the acoustic sound some, but does not provide the lead twang of a regular Tele. We added a neck pickup (from a Strat) and a 3-way switch that does All-Acoustic (original Piezo + bridge Lace), Acoustic-plus-Electric-Neck, or Only-Electric-Neck. All are useful. (Yes, I would have preferred a real Tele bridge pickup, but I don't play much lead in this situation, and again, the difference is barely discernable).

I like to plug wireless (currently Xvive) so I did not want a TRS to split the outputs. Instead, I use a Morley A-B, acoustic to a Fishman ToneDEQ into a Bose S1, and electric to a Fender Super Champ or a Tech-21 FlyRig5 into a Bose Compact, and the Morley A-B lets me go Acoustic, Twang, or both.

I use acoustic wound strings on this - Martin XP Phosphor Bronze on the low 3, and I'm experimenting with the high 3.. Seeking mainly acoustic sound, but I do need to bend just a bit on some tunes..

Again.. this is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT thing than the current Acoustasonic, which seems VERY cool, but this dude is pretty slick its OWN self, to me anyway..

Also, I have a fabulous Taylor jumbo with a Fishman Infinity Matrix customized by Fishman's main guru Joe Barbieri (last name-drop I promise), but in the band setting, this Fender is more effective, cuts thru the wall of sound better, zero feedback, Tele is also very slick to play.

Just a 10+ year-old classic alternative to the cool New Kid In Town..

Last edited by MikeTX; 02-06-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:22 AM

Any more reflections on the Acoustasonic now that you've had it another week?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification