The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Looks like this thread turned more into discussing anything but today's game.
Welcome to the world of the most polarizing team in America, the New England Patriots. Once a doormat, they are now a standard of excellence. Somehow this brings out all the haters who gotta hate. Maybe because they can't figure out how the Patriots can be that good that consistently?

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 02-03-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
I read the Eagles' and Cardinals', and am baffled. Numerous cheat catagories don't even mention the particular team. Why list those category then?
Somewhere in the explanations, they mention that some cheats are so common for all teams that they just list the cheats under the team, and not the team under the cheats. The cheats that are more unusual may show specific team(s) associated with that cheat under the explanation for that cheat.

Don
Old 02-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Welcome to the world of the most polarizing team in America, the New England Patriots. Once a doormat, they are now a standard of excellence. Somehow this brings out all the haters who gotta hate. Maybe because they can't figure out how the Patriots can be that good that consistently?

Don
While “hater” overstates the case, it’s very possible to be amazed at their sustained success, respect them totally, and still be sick to death of them and ready for them to exit stage left.

How they’re this good for this long is that they managed to combine a once in a lifetime coach with a five or six in a lifetime quarterback in a really weak division (which is weak largely because of how strong they are) assuring they almost never play on the road in the playoffs. It’s an amazing recipe, they’re late in what has been an incredible run. I don’t rate Brady as a singular GOAT although I think he’s an amazing QB, because I can think of a handful of others who I think would have done just as well in Belichek’s system.

While I don’t like the personality of the franchise - there are dynasties I’ve liked, but none has been around this long, so I’d have probably gotten sick of them too - and I root against them in every Super Bowl they play these days (I was for them in the first two), if they do get that sixth title, I’ll applaud them and figure they deserve it for their sustained excellence.

But I’m still sick of them and hope they get their butts kicked today. And if they’re in it next year, I’ll feel the same way. Unless the Cowboys are on the other side - THAT’S a team I truely hate and have since childhood... BTW, I’d say the Cowboys and Yankees are more polarizing than the Pats, but they’re working hard at matching them...

I hope it’s a good game or - way beyond unlikely - a Rams blowout. I’ll sleep fine regardless. I feel good being a fan of one of only two teams to beat them in he Supe. I guess the NFC East is their kryptonite - they’re 1-3 against us...

-Ray
Old 02-03-2019, 10:37 AM

Ray,

No disrespect, and while you have made some logical explanations, the problem is that it's all about your feelings, and not about the upcoming SuperBowl.

You are correct about the Brady/Belichick combination. Besides the owner, they are really the only common thread. The key is Belichick the GM handling of player personnel, or more specifically not outrageously overpaying by position. And Brady buys into what Belichick the coach is selling.

And by the way, while there are teams and locations the Patriots have had trouble with, their overall record is pretty consistent. Yes the AFC East looks weak, but each team has to play the Patriots twice. That adds to (or subtracts from) the other AFC East teams poor divisional records. I don't have the stats off the top of my head, but while the Patriots not only have had a great record against the AFC East, their AFC East record is not dissimilar to their overall record, and that AFC East record is only a bit better than against NFC teams in general. They also have a great record against top teams. As a reward for their good performance, they are always scheduled against the winners of the other AFC Divisions every year, and also get to pick consistently at the bottom of the draft. You don't get to the SuperBowl if you can't beat good teams.

And for the record, I dislike a certain baseball team. Just not something I write about.

Don
Old 02-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Don
It's amazing how the Patriots can be that good consistently for so long. What's more impressive is that they develop a player who does some great things, lose that player who leaves for more money, and then the Pats replace that player with an unknown and still win.

I can understand that fans who don't consider the Patriots their favorite team would like to see someone else in the Super Bowl. I too wouldn't want to see any team in a championship game of any sport that often unless they were my team. For another year though, I'm happy.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Who's your pick for SB MVP? Going with Brady
Good choice!
Go Pats!
Old 02-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ray,

No disrespect, and while you have made some logical explanations, the problem is that it's all about your feelings, and not about the upcoming SuperBowl.

You are correct about the Brady/Belichick combination. Besides the owner, they are really the only common thread. The key is Belichick the GM handling of player personnel, or more specifically not outrageously overpaying by position. And Brady buys into what Belichick the coach is selling.

And by the way, while there are teams and locations the Patriots have had trouble with, their overall record is pretty consistent. Yes the AFC East looks weak, but each team has to play the Patriots twice. That adds to (or subtracts from) the other AFC East teams poor divisional records. I don't have the stats off the top of my head, but while the Patriots not only have had a great record against the AFC East, their AFC East record is not dissimilar to their overall record, and that AFC East record is only a bit better than against NFC teams in general. They also have a great record against top teams. As a reward for their good performance, they are always scheduled against the winners of the other AFC Divisions every year, and also get to pick consistently at the bottom of the draft. You don't get to the SuperBowl if you can't beat good teams.

And for the record, I dislike a certain baseball team. Just not something I write about.

Don
What’s all about my feelings - hoping the Pats lose? Of COURSE it is! I think my post and this post of yours are entirely consistent. I gave the Pats credit toward the weakness of the rest of the division. I fully and totally respect them. I don’t think you can ask more than that. I just don’t much like em anymore, which is obviously a feeling and a very VERY common one outside of New England.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 02-03-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Good choice!
Go Pats!
I hear ya, AE. Going to pick up some chicken wings for the game.

What's everyone having for food/snacks during the game tonight?
Old 02-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Who's your pick for SB MVP? Going with Brady

I'm going with Bill Belichick (My towns out of wings...going with b-b-q ribs )
Old 02-03-2019, 01:35 PM

Still hard to believe that the Detroit Lions beat New England with no trouble at all.
Maybe Belichick was just throwing his old friend/asst.coach, Matt Patricia (Detroit's rookie coach) a bone to make him look good. It didn't work!

Fog
Old 02-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
It's amazing how the Patriots can be that good consistently for so long. What's more impressive is that they develop a player who does some great things, lose that player who leaves for more money, and then the Pats replace that player with an unknown and still win.

I can understand that fans who don't consider the Patriots their favorite team would like to see someone else in the Super Bowl. I too wouldn't want to see any team in a championship game of any sport that often unless they were my team. For another year though, I'm happy.

Yep. When the Pats lost Welker to the Broncos, I was convinced that the offense would struggle. And then here comes some dude called Edelman...a quarterback playing slot. The guy became a start pretty much from the start, and losing Welker was a non-issue. Anyone in that Patriots bench can be a star. They do work hard and it shows.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Don't forget to thaw the Humble Pie and Crow, just in case!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-03-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Rule 1
Old 02-03-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Don't forget to thaw the Humble Pie and Crow, just in case!
See, that's just it. It's not about us. It's about the team. It's an entertainment. In no way does the result have an effect my life.

That said, of course I would like to see a positive result.

Don

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-03-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:49 PM

There's no way I see the Pats losing this. Brady will carry the team on his shoulders, if he has to.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
Still hard to believe that the Detroit Lions beat New England with no trouble at all.
Maybe Belichick was just throwing his old friend/asst.coach, Matt Patricia (Detroit's rookie coach) a bone to make him look good. It didn't work!

Fog
My Jags beat the Pats 31-20 this season too and the Jags are horrible...go figure! It was the only bright moment for Jag fan. Full disclosure, I respect and admire the Belicheck/Brady partnership and wish them the best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic