The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
98% of the time I prefer the tone of a Huss and Dalton over a Collings.
+1 on this
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 12-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a Sitka topped TDM and a D1A. The TDM sounded very much like many of the mid 50's D18s I've played. The D1A was too much of a race car for my playing style. However I don't think what is said about the 14 fret Collings holds true for the 12 fretters. I played a few DS1A's in the shop I worked in. With the longer body and lower bridge placement, they have a much fuller, richer and less bright tone, even with the red spruce top.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the H&D DS is the same size body as a J35/45, about 20" long. The DS1A is akin to the Martin 12 fretters, about 21" long. That added volume makes a tonal difference.

EDIT: I suppose my point is that these will be very different guitars, one based on Martin and the other based on Gibson. Sure, they're both 12 fret, slope shoulder, Sitka and mahogany dreads, but the similarity ends there.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 12-11-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Go play the H&D. If you like it, don't worry about what the Collings sounds like. A bird in the hand.....
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM

Ever consider a SCGC D-12?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Default 12 fret dreds

I have only be able to sample a SCGC in rosewood and would prefer mahogany, but exceptional guitar. As far as Bourgeois - that would be exceptional. I have tried an older Martin Simpson that just wasn't it and optionally an OMSC with cutaway. Very very nice on the OMSC just only $2K over my budget.

Last edited by tomcstokes59; 12-11-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:18 PM

These are two drastically different designs. The H&D is their take on a Smeck, while the Collings is essentially a D-18S. I own guitars from both companies (H&D 00-SP and Collings 000-1A varnish & CJ-35G), but with this choice I would lean towards the Collings, simply because I would prefer the D-18S style guitar.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I have had a H&D - it was a trail of tears - custom build straight to me for my 60th birthday. Build and finish faults and zero customer after sales service.
I lost a lot of money on that one - painful. I'm sure there are some good ones out there but, never again with a maker that snubbed me.
I bought a new Collings in '99.
I bought four more.
I've spoken to Mark Althans, Steve McReary who arranged a guitar to be shipped back to base ad shipped back to me (in US) because I found a discrepancy in the neck dimensions. It was to help them too but great service.

I haven't found a fault with any Collings yet. They don't sound like Martins - or Gibsons - they sound like Collings -even balanced.
No competition.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Collings

SM - This I do not find surprising. I have watched several of your videos. You make those collings sing. Thank you for the comments and endorsement.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I have had a H&D - it was a trail of tears - custom build straight to me for my 60th birthday. Build and finish faults and zero customer after sales service.
I lost a lot of money on that one - painful. I'm sure there are some good ones out there but, never again with a maker that snubbed me.
I bought a new Collings in '99.
I bought four more.
I've spoken to Mark Althans, Steve McReary who arranged a guitar to be shipped back to base ad shipped back to me (in US) because I found a discrepancy in the neck dimensions. It was to help them too but great service.

I haven't found a fault with any Collings yet. They don't sound like Martins - or Gibsons - they sound like Collings -even balanced.
No competition.
I haven't owned and H&D, and have only come across a couple that were owned by others that I know. I've liked those H&D's, but wasn't particularly moved by any of them.

I was moved by my first Collings, and have bought two more. Like Silly says: balanced...which for me, is a very desirable quality. I particularly like Colllings when they have a German top: sweetens the tone a bit. It may also diminish any sense that the guitar sounds "harsh" (not a word I would use). I have gotten very positive comments about my D2HG from several Martin devotees, a fellow who has a beautiful (but very dark toned)) Merrill dreadnaught, and a fellow who loves his SCGC OM.

I've talked to some people who say negative things about the "Collings Tone", but at least one of them bought one anyways because the neck is so delightful. And, of course, there are some "nabobs of negativity" here in AGF. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Collings guitars are very consistent...a nice feature if you are thinking about buying a guitar that you cannot play in advance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, collings, huss & dalton