The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 PM

I just have one question, if the Authentics dont have a truss rod at all, what if I put on 13's on it? I know the neck wont probably give away from the string tension right away, but what about in the long run?

I tried it a few weeks ago and it completely blew me away, too rich for my blood right now, too rich in any lifetime, but I can save up for it I thought.. but having no truss rod is making me think twice.

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

If you can live with the neck profile the OM-18 Authentic VTS is a great mid size guitar. I've owned two...took me that long to realize I couldn't deal with the "heel & barrel" neck. But...if you're good with it I believe it's one of the better offerings to be had. Of course that's my 2 cents. Have owned Collings OM-1 and OM-2H (both with the deep body option) and the latter was much better in my opinion. Had a Bourgeoise JOMC and OMS but neither lasted? I will say I am a Martin fan but have a CS Collings D-1 with Sitka thermo cured top that's amazing. Just not a big fan of their OM's. But then again...I'm a dyed it the wool dread guy. So I may not be the right person to ask?
I hope you finds what suits you. best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Thanks for your extensive review - that was super helpful for us OM fantastics. I'm very intrigued by the Goodall - I've only ever known them as very overtoney/european sound. Is there traditional OM more fundamental in sound? Goodall is truly one of the great luthiers and I'd be very intrigued by his OM if it is more traditional sounding.
I have the TBROM and also a TRD. The dread has a ton of reverb and is also super responsive, with a nice flex-feel in the fingerboard, just like the OM. The OM is not nearly as reverby, but it's not dry either. Right smack in the middle of dry and lush. Although the one I have is special (it's a 2008 I bought from a forum member), the normal TROM (Adi over EIR) is an incredible guitar in its own right.

Here is mine below. This is an excellent recording of what it really sounds like. The fun really gets going around the 1:30 - 3:00 minute mark. Wear good headphones for best results...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-09-2018, 06:41 PM

I have owned a Collings OM2HG (G for German Spruce top) and in my quest to find my perfect OM, I have played many Martin Authentics (18 and 28) and a few Santa Cruz OMs (both reg. OMs and OM/PWs).

I sold the Collings for exactly the reasons Brencat cites; the tone was absolutely ethereal - but I too found it was "annoyingly sensitive to less than perfect technique, and lacked bass response." No fault of the guitar - the problem was with the player.

Anyway, when all was said and done, I ended up with a Huss & Dalton Custom TOM-M. The custom elements are an Italian spruce top and short scale.

Mostly I chose it because, while it has a very sweet, musical voice and ring to it,the H&D is a lot "earthier" than the Collings, and the bass is more solid and the trebles fatter. Also, while I like the Authentics very much (esp. the bass and growl), the neck profile of the H&D was absolutely perfect for me - and even as a custom order, it was much cheaper than a new Martin Authentic.

As far as Santa Cruz OMs go... I just don't connect. Not sure why. Partly it has to do with the mod V neck (my Huss & Dalton has a perfect medium C neck) and partly... I just haven't been inspired by one (yet).

I have never played a Bourgeois guitar and I'm dying to try one. Every time I hear one recorded well, or live, I really like the tone.

if you're ever in New York City, bring your Bourgeois and we can spend an afternoon swapping guitars!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I have the TBROM and also a TRD. The dread has a ton of reverb and is also super responsive, with a nice flex-feel in the fingerboard, just like the OM. The OM is not nearly as reverby, but it's not dry either. Right smack in the middle of dry and lush. Although the one I have is special (it's a 2008 I bought from a forum member), the normal TROM (Adi over EIR) is an incredible guitar in its own right.

Here is mine below. This is an excellent recording of what it really sounds like. The fun really gets going around the 1:30 - 3:00 minute mark. Wear good headphones for best results...

That just might be the finest sounding OM I've ever heard Brendan! WOW?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-09-2018, 07:00 PM

Just had to comment that this thread has been both extremely helpful as someone who plans to add an OM from one of the aforementioned builders... as well as a real "gas-burner", if ya know what I mean.

Thanks very much for everyone's thoughtful reviews and experiences. Just fantastic. And I just gotta say it: Bren, that Goodall OM is just about as close to a holy grail guitar as I can possibly imagine. "Wow".

From someone who surprisingly hasn't played that many OM's, period, from any builder.. thank you! It may be about a year or so, but I will definitely be adding one of these, and these posts are very thought-provoking.

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku

Last edited by v32 finish; 09-09-2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
That just might be the finest sounding OM I've ever heard Brendan! WOW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
Thanks very much for everyone's thoughtful reviews and experiences. Just fantastic. And I just gotta say it: Bren, that Goodall OM is just about as close to a holy grail guitar as I can possibly imagine. "Wow".
Thanks Jim and Scott. I get chills every time I take that one out of the case.

Bear in mind that the TROM is ~ 4" deep at the neck block and ~ 4.25" deep at the tail. Meanwhile, a typical OM from Santa Cruz and Martin is ~ 3.25" at the neck and ~ 4.125" at the tail. The TROM's extra depth no doubt contributes to that huge bass response you hear, but Goodall also does things a bit differently with the bracing too.

Although very expensive when new, Goodalls bought on the secondary market are a bargain. Fort Bragg made Goodalls (2009+) sell for ~ 50% of current MSRP, while the Kona HI built ones (<2009) can be had for a touch under that.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, bourgeois, collings, martin authentic