The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-09-2015, 10:10 PM

Default Olson SJ maple

Time flies. I’ll be 39 by the end of the year. I’ve been admiring guitars my entire life and I’m lucky enough to play my dream guitars every day. If I were to do it again, I wouldn’t change a thing. I still feel the same amazement every time I play one of my Olson SJs, as if I couldn’t believe that these guitars were actually mine. Whether it is the Tree SJ or the BRW SJ that I choose to grab off the stand, I know that I can rely on my guitar for yet another inspiring session.

While a lot of people look for a new guitar when they’re unsatisfied with what they’ve got, for me it was always the opposite. The happier I am with a guitar, the more I want another variation of it. If I could afford to own ten guitars that were identical except for visual appointments, I probably would. That’s how I approach my wardrobe as well – when I find something that I like, I buy several of it.

When I started collecting guitars, I thought I wanted one guitar from each of my favourite builders – but at some point I realized that having different instruments really distracted me as a player. I needed to identify my main instrument, the one that I would play every day for many years to come. As it turned out, it was the easiest decision to make. Since I took possession of my Tree SJ, there was never an internal debate or dilemma. I knew I had found the right guitar.

As you all know, commissioning a custom guitar can be a major investment. When I went looking for my “lifetime” guitar, I knew that the only path to a long term commitment was to make no compromise – at least no major ones. I wanted a guitar that looked good and had a distinctive sound that was compatible with my style. Another criteria was the long term value. While I have no intention of ever selling my SJs, I like knowing that my valuables will maintain a good value on the used market.

However, above the financial considerations, the most important criteria for me was the builder’s reputation. While I thought that finding the “best” luthier might be an elusive objective, I was interested to uncover the most popular one. A popular luthier doesn’t necessarily build a better guitar but let’s face it, no guitar will ever be remembered for being played by a handful of obscure acts, no matter how good they might be. Whether we look at Martin, Gibson or Fender, we collectively adore those brands because they’re associated with the music that we love and grew up with. Amongst solo builders, I think Jim Olson has the widest appeal and the most recognizable sound. I remember attending a James Taylor concert, and while I was no major JT fan, I heard a guitar sound that I had never heard before – and to my ears it sounded really good.

In terms of looks, I wanted a classic looking guitar. Not a vintage replica or anything too provocative but rather something in between. To me, the Olson SJ looks a bit like a “Gibsonized Martin”. Jim builds with a traditional dovetail and several of the appointments remind me of various Martins (including my favourite style 42). However the shape is sexier and has more curves – like a Gibson L-5 or J-185. To my eye, Jim’s guitars represent the perfect balance between traditional and contemporary designs. I probably spent hours if not days looking at photos of SJs before pulling the trigger and I must say that Jim’s excellent photography was very persuasive.

When I received my Tree SJ, it was everything I had hoped it would be – and more. Not only was it beautiful but it also sounded exactly like at that JT concert. I was sold. Nowadays, I still play and admire my SJs every day. Like an old Audrey Hepburn photo, I still think my SJs are beautiful every time I look at them. And the sound is addictive, too. I’m so used to hearing the overtones on my SJs that I miss them every time I play a different guitar.

This will be another 42-style SJ with no cutaway, the classic 3-ring rosette and the #1 fingerboard inlays – just like my BRW SJ (black pickguard included). This time around I chose flamed maple for back and sides and Jim picked a beautiful Sitka top among the pile that he has been stocking for over 30 years. The binding will be Ivoroid – but otherwise it will be identical to #1449.

Jim turned 65 in April and has cut down production significantly. I feel very fortunate that he accepted to build me another custom SJ. I should receive the guitar by late fall and look forward to sharing photos and recordings with you.

Until then, here are the detailed specs:

SJ non-cutaway
Flamed maple back and sides
Sitka spruce top
Abalone top edge, back center strip, and end wedge borders
Abalone center ring of rosette
42-style fingerboard extension
Ivoroid binding
#1 inlay with WBW on fingerboard
Solid MOP "O" on headstock
Maple head back veneer
Standard neck (5-piece mahogany, standard profile)
Chrome tuners with ebony buttons
No strap button, pick up or end pin
Black pick guard
Calton case

And a few photos from Jim:

Old 06-09-2015, 11:46 PM

That's some nice writing there, Mau.
And that guitar! Oh man.

jim
Old 06-10-2015, 05:26 AM

Default Olson SJ maple

So happy to see this 3rd Olson coming to fruition for you- it will serve you well, I'm certain!
Congratulations Mau.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Mau,

Maple, Mahogany and Rosewood SJs should be an interesting comparison for you. I suspect that many of the stereotypes regarding maple's sonic signature will be dispelled for you with this commission. Maple is truly is one of the great tonewoods when used properly in my opinion that does not get its due respect.

Do you know whether Jim is using Bigleaf Maple or Sycamore Maple for the guitar? I suspect the former visually, but I am probably wrong.

Bob
Old 06-10-2015, 06:21 AM

WOW ANOTHER OF MAU'S OLSON THREADS? I didn't get to walk through your previous 2 with you but heck, anybody could tell you that those 2 are basically the AGF's signature threads really looking forward to this especially since I get to experience it in real time. A lot more exciting! Congratulations Mau on making the right choice of sticking to what you like

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-10-2015, 06:48 AM

Hearty Congratulations are in order....looks like it is well on its way to becoming another master piece in Jim's hands and a musical masterpiece in yours!

Tom
Old 06-10-2015, 07:16 AM

Congrats Mau - you got some of the most beautiful guitars I've seen on this forum.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Very nice! I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but until I played a really well crafted maple guitar, I had no idea how amazing maple could sound. I can only imagine that Jim's maple guitars sound glorious! CONGRATS!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 06-10-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
That's some nice writing there, Mau.
And that guitar! Oh man.

jim
I took inspiration from Brett -- but unlike him I ran out of gas after one post.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I took inspiration from Brett -- but unlike him I ran out of gas after one post.
Even so, it's nice to have your words join your music - looking forward to following this along.

Cheers,

D.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainhead View Post
So happy to see this 3rd Olson coming to fruition for you- it will serve you well, I'm certain!
Congratulations Mau.
Thank you!

I plan to keep this one in standard tuning for a change...
Old 06-10-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Mau,

Maple, Mahogany and Rosewood SJs should be an interesting comparison for you. I suspect that many of the stereotypes regarding maple's sonic signature will be dispelled for you with this commission. Maple is truly is one of the great tonewoods when used properly in my opinion that does not get its due respect.

Do you know whether Jim is using Bigleaf Maple or Sycamore Maple for the guitar? I suspect the former visually, but I am probably wrong.

Bob
Hi Bob,

I considered ordering a cedar top so I could make comparisons between maple, mahogany and rosewood (I believe Laurence Juber once owned a maple/cedar SJ) -- but in the end I decided to go with spruce. If you dig up old photos of Jim's, you'll see him with a maple/spruce guitar in his hands.

Last night was the first time I ever saw the woods on my guitar. Jim Olson is probably the only luthier I would trust to select the tone woods without getting involved. I'm very happy with the set that he picked out.

I'm not sure what kind of maple it is exactly -- and to be honest the question never crossed my mind. All I'm seeing is a very light coloured piece of maple with tight curl that is consistent from edge to edge.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
WOW ANOTHER OF MAU'S OLSON THREADS? I didn't get to walk through your previous 2 with you but heck, anybody could tell you that those 2 are basically the AGF's signature threads really looking forward to this especially since I get to experience it in real time. A lot more exciting! Congratulations Mau on making the right choice of sticking to what you like
Thanks Marcus. There's a number of epic threads on the AGF -- several featuring Kostal and Kraut, among others.

I could be happy with almost any guitar -- but given the choice I like my SJs best...
Old 06-10-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Hearty Congratulations are in order....looks like it is well on its way to becoming another master piece in Jim's hands and a musical masterpiece in yours!

Tom
Thanks Tom.

Jim built a similar guitar last year which can be found here:

http://olsonguitars.com/rs.php?page=1

Mine won't have a cutaway or bling around the fretboard/headstock -- but it will feature the 42-style extension (my favourite part).
Old 06-10-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcozma View Post
Congrats Mau - you got some of the most beautiful guitars I've seen on this forum.
Thanks so much.

My SJs have more bling than the average build for sure -- but otherwise there's lots of beautiful guitars on the AGF. I wish I could own them all...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop