The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Mau,

I am just now catching up with you on this thread! The photos of your guitar are absolutely stunning. The case, too! And now you are in Minneapolis to go pick up your guitar from Jim Olson's shop... How cool is that?!

Your Olson is so fancy, it makes mine look like a poor cousin. Holy Smokes! What a stunner!

I can't wait to hear some of your playing on this guitar, Mau! I hope your trip goes well and that you have a very, Merry Christmas!

- Glenn
Hi Glenn,

Those pictures were taken by Jim. He has a great eye indeed.

Thanks so much for stopping by. I can't wait to share some videos!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomat View Post
Mau, great photos and I have sure enjoyed all your posts! I will happen to be in Ottawa for Christmas...if we get out towards your neck of Quebec (wherever that may be...) I may just have to give you a call.

Congratulations on the new guitar.

Matt
Hi Matt,

Thanks so much for your kind words.

I'm in Montreal. Definitely send me a PM if you're in the area! I'm always happy to trade some licks...
Old 12-20-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarkoa599 View Post
These are nice pics but I want to see that guitar!
I'm dead tired right now -- but since you kindly asked, here's what I was able to come up with tonight:

Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 AM

I got up this morning, checked out and waited for Jim to come by. Yes, the legend himself picked me up at the hotel...

When we got to Circles Pines, Jim gave me the full tour of his shop before finally handing me the guitar.

In person, this guitar is absolutely stunning. I couldn't be happier with it.

In terms of sound, I must admit I had second thoughts about choosing "The Tree" for back and sides. I thought I would be missing out on the classic Olson tone (rosewood and cedar).

Well, after having played a BRW/cedar SJ and a IRW/cedar SJ at the shop, I must say I like my SJ best (although by a small margin). The tone is still very much what we expect from an Olson -- but with a bit of an edge and sparkle. Factor in the incredible looks of "The Tree", and you've got a real winner.

Compared to my other guitars, the Olson SJ almost plays itself. I couldn't believe I was playing a long scale guitar. The BRW SJ definitely had the edge in terms of bass response -- but not enough for me to ignore the wonderful trebles on the mahogany guitar.

After taking possession of my new guitar, Jim took me out for lunch and we discussed music, family and faith over a nice meal. Finally, I had to catch a flight back to Toronto in the afternoon so Jim dropped me off at the airport. Talk about five star service...

This day was a dream come true for me. Those of you who grew up in modest families can fully understand how I feel today.

I will start posting videos and sound clips as soon as I get back home.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I'm dead tired right now -- but since you kindly asked, here's what I was able to come up with tonight:

Thanks! I have been following this like many others and when your thread came up and I saw the pics I just gasped!
That is the best looking guitar I have ever seen!
Congrats and enjoy! I hope you are able to stop plying it to get some sleep!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 AM

My Olson is cedar over IRW with shell on the top and birds flying up the neck. The sound is amazing and like you said it plays itself. I have done a few things to improve it since I bought it used 2 years ago. Took out the undersaddle pickup and had new bone saddle cut and a K and K mini installed. Also replaced stock pins with titanium pins. Clarity sustain improvements were big to my ear and the K and K is a winner and can always add an external mic for perfection. When I compared the SJ to the other fine guitars and the since closed Fine Acoustics in Maryland the SJ took the entire inventory to school. It continues to be a wonderful guitar and always brings a smile to my face when I first open the case to get it out. Congrats! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
...This day was a dream come true for me. Those of you who grew up in modest families can fully understand how I feel today...
I do understand, Mau. I, along with so many others here, are really glad for you. This is going to be a Christmas you will remember forever.

- Glenn
Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 PM

Congratulations Joe (Mau); a new guitar for Christmas is a great idea. I must try it myself!

Really looking forward to hearing some tunes from this one in due course.

I am also really looking forward to hearing about how it compares to the Kraut once you get familiar with it. I'm not naive enough to be expecting a "which one is better" reply, since at this level, that's a pretty dumb question. However, I'd be really interested in the contrasts between them and what each one excels at in your opinion. They should be coming from two pretty different places, both in terms of build and in terms of woods used (although they're much the same body size?), and I'd expect that to be reflected in terms of how they sound and perhaps handle different styles of music and playing. Very curious since most of us don't get to have two guitars like that in our house at the same time.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Guest 213

Hi, Joe,

So happy to hear everything went well! I'm very jealous over here that you got to visit!!! And Jim's hospitality doesn't surprise me. He tries to deny it, but he's a very generous individual and truly cares about the personal lives of each of his customers.

I completely understand your overwhelmed feeling now, what with an amazing new guitar and all that travel. So please relax and enjoy that Olson without feeling obligated to immediately post video (though we won't be disappointed if you do it quickly )

Just think how well this guitar is going to mature as you play it over the years! I know the tone and volume on mine really started to intensify after just a few days of playing.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Congrats Mau. The few pictures you posted look amazing. I'll be waiting for some high res photos for my desktop at work. Looking forward to some clips of it too.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 PM

Awesome. Those pictures are absolutely ridiculous. (In a good way). Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
My Olson is cedar over IRW with shell on the top and birds flying up the neck. The sound is amazing and like you said it plays itself. I have done a few things to improve it since I bought it used 2 years ago. Took out the undersaddle pickup and had new bone saddle cut and a K and K mini installed. Also replaced stock pins with titanium pins. Clarity sustain improvements were big to my ear and the K and K is a winner and can always add an external mic for perfection. When I compared the SJ to the other fine guitars and the since closed Fine Acoustics in Maryland the SJ took the entire inventory to school. It continues to be a wonderful guitar and always brings a smile to my face when I first open the case to get it out. Congrats! Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you as well!

I must admit I'm not much of a fine tuner and tend to keep my guitars "very stock".

Although I do love to play amplified, a pick-up is out of question. And just to show you how obsessive I am, my guitar doesn't even have an end pin! LOL
Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarkoa599 View Post
Thanks! I have been following this like many others and when your thread came up and I saw the pics I just gasped!
That is the best looking guitar I have ever seen!
Congrats and enjoy! I hope you are able to stop plying it to get some sleep!
Thank you!

Just got home now. I am so tired I haven't played it much.

Jim's photography tends to highlight the reds while mine tends to highlight the orange hues.

Here's another shot:

Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Hi, Joe,

So happy to hear everything went well! I'm very jealous over here that you got to visit!!! And Jim's hospitality doesn't surprise me. He tries to deny it, but he's a very generous individual and truly cares about the personal lives of each of his customers.

I completely understand your overwhelmed feeling now, what with an amazing new guitar and all that travel. So please relax and enjoy that Olson without feeling obligated to immediately post video (though we won't be disappointed if you do it quickly )

Just think how well this guitar is going to mature as you play it over the years! I know the tone and volume on mine really started to intensify after just a few days of playing.
Hi Jon,

Jim almost feels embarrassed that his guitars would fetch so much -- but like I reminded him he's not selling food to the poor...

I will post videos soon -- although I did forget my tripod in Minneapolis so it might take a few days. Unless I go out and buy another one, which would be a bit excessive since I own only one camera... LOL
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haolebrownie View Post
Congrats Mau. The few pictures you posted look amazing. I'll be waiting for some high res photos for my desktop at work. Looking forward to some clips of it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearnguitars View Post
Awesome. Those pictures are absolutely ridiculous. (In a good way). Merry Christmas!
Thanks, guys!

Those paua inlays are really cool to photograph...

Merry Christmas to you -- hope the holiday season brings you lots of joyful music.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop