The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-22-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Question for Mark Hanson fans

I've been using his book "The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking"and have learned a lot from it. I hear the book praised here all the time. I've heard very little, though, about his follow-up book "The Art of Solo Fingerpicking." Could people who have used that book give it a review here?
Old 04-22-2003, 01:47 PM

Buy it immediately. There is a wide range of material (simple to complex) and it is infinitely more interesting than the travis style book. Guaranteed to improve your skills.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:55 PM

I guess that if I don't know who he is, I must not be a fan.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:17 PM

I would consider his transcriptions to be some of the most accurate and informative available. He's also a darn good guitarist and a pretty nice guy.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbermes
Buy it immediately. There is a wide range of material (simple to complex) and it is infinitely more interesting than the travis style book. Guaranteed to improve your skills.
Thank you, Joe. I haven't worked my way through the Travis Picking book yet, but I've been getting a little bored with it. It's one of those things like broccoli that I know is really good for me but really boring. I'll pick up the "Solo Picking" book and try to work my way through both, going back and forth. I think it will spice up my practice sessions.

I appreciate your input.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:23 AM

I took a workshop from Mark in Seattle about a year ago. Triad Power was the title and I ended up buying his book by the same name. I already had the Travis Picking book. I also have one of his videos. I think all his stuff that I have seen so far is very well done.
Midnight Shadow

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell