The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-14-2003, 07:00 AM

Lightbulb Fingerstyle and Nail Care

For all those fingerstylists who, like me, try to prevent their nails from getting damaged while trying to live a normal life... Here's something that I found that seems to help. It's called Healthy Hoof (here's a link to an on-line retailer that sells it): http://www.folica.com/nailcare/gena_heahoof.htm

I've been using it for about a year and have seen improvement in the durability of my nails. You apply it to the nail by rubbing it on the surface.

Does anyone have any tricks/tips on nail care that they'd like to share?
Taylor T5 C2 Koa
Tacoma C1C-E4
Martin 00-16C
Baby Taylor
Ultrasound Pro-200

Last edited by richol; 04-14-2003 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:49 PM

I go to a nail salon and have acrylic overlays put on three fingers on my right hand. So far it has worked well with no problems.

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 04-14-2003, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevemc
I go to a nail salon and have acrylic overlays put on three fingers on my right hand. So far it has worked well with no problems.
Hi Steve,

Do you leave the acrylic on all the time? If so, doesn't that cause long term damage to the nail?
Taylor T5 C2 Koa
Tacoma C1C-E4
Martin 00-16C
Baby Taylor
Ultrasound Pro-200
Old 04-14-2003, 05:12 PM

You have to be very careful with the full nail acrylic overlays. You can get a nasty nail fungus under them. The nail tips are much safer.

James
Old 04-14-2003, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jmintzer
You have to be very careful with the full nail acrylic overlays. You can get a nasty nail fungus under them. The nail tips are much safer.

James
Is that what you're using?
Taylor T5 C2 Koa
Tacoma C1C-E4
Martin 00-16C
Baby Taylor
Ultrasound Pro-200
Old 04-14-2003, 06:02 PM

No, I prefer to go natural. But I do know nails, it's part of what I do...

James
Old 04-14-2003, 08:50 PM

I had my nails brass plated.

Sorry... Couldn't resist. I need a life.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by richol

Hi Steve,

Do you leave the acrylic on all the time? If so, doesn't that cause long term damage to the nail?
Yes, the acrylic does stay on all the time. I have to go get them "filled" about every two weeks. As James says, you do have to be careful with them. It's my understanding that moisture getting trapped between the natural nail and acrylic is usually what causes the fungus to get started so I don't expose them excessively to water. No swimming, no relaxing in the tub with my hand under water, no washing dishes . I wash my hands as necessary and try not to expose them to moisure more than that. Sometimes the edges of the acrylic comes loose and that's where moisture can get trapped. It's important to go get them filled when this happens or just break off the acrylic that is loose.

I would much prefer natural nails but mine simply won't hold up to the wear and tear.

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
Old 04-15-2003, 02:15 PM

I wish there were an easy solution, but apparently there's not. I'm going to continue my approach of going natural. It's been working pretty well so far. I've also discovered that placing some clear polish, i.e. "Hard as Nails" on the underside of the nail really helps increase durability. I reapply as necessary and it seems to help reduce nail wear and breakage.
Taylor T5 C2 Koa
Tacoma C1C-E4
Martin 00-16C
Baby Taylor
Ultrasound Pro-200
Old 04-15-2003, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevemc
I would much prefer natural nails but mine simply won't hold up to the wear and tear.
Fess up...You just want your nails to look pretty!

James, not that there's anything wrong with that!!!

P.S. My patients always ask me if -I- get manicures. Never had one, I just cut them and occasionall file a rough edge that catches when I'm playing. Guess I'm just lucky!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jmintzer

Fess up...You just want your nails to look pretty!

Actually it is a bit intimidating to have to go to the local nail salon and have a sweet little gal "do my nails". It's a small shop in a small town so I'm the only guy who does it here. But, now it's become pretty routine and my manicurist and I are pretty good buddies. Some people do their own overlays but I find it easier to just let someone who knows more about it than me do it. I figure she might spot a potential problem sooner and it is very inexpensive. So far I've had no problems (knock on wood), and it has improved my playing more than anything I've done since I bought a Taylor guitar.

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
Old 04-16-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Fingerstyle and Nail Care

Quote:
Originally posted by richol
It's called Healthy Hoof
I tried it...but the mooing was keeping my wife awake at night.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:53 AM

Are acrylic tips as strong as acrylic overlays? How do silk wraps compare? I've never had any of this done, but I'm seriously thinking of it.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:13 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by anothersmith
Are acrylic tips as strong as acrylic overlays? How do silk wraps compare? I've never had any of this done, but I'm seriously thinking of it.
I went to acrylic nails a year ago, and it has been the answer to a 30 yr. problem.... They wear like iron. The place I go to uses a darker pink powder that makes my nails difficult for ANYONE to notice...
I can pick and pluck as hard as I want with no problems... AND, I can actually use my "i" finger like a flat pick,, with no noticeable wear. I go in every 2 weeks for a "fill".... ($9.00)..... If you fingerpick, give it a try.. Regards..
Old 04-17-2003, 08:04 AM

Anothersmith, I can't express how happy I am with my acrylic overlays. (My thanks to Bob Womack for pushing me over the edge with his post and web site info on this issue.)

I have always had a dilemma with my playing in that I love picking with my fingers but prefer the tone with a pick. Now I have the best of both worlds.

About two months ago, frustrated with constantly breaking finger nails (somebody's got to do the yard work), I went with my girlfriend to her nail salon to have acrylic overlays put on the first three fingers of my right hand. Because my middle nail was broken, the manicurist put a fake tip on that nail before the overlay. Other than three slightly long nails, you would never know there was acrylic overlays and tips. They are a natural looking pink and not glossy. They are strong as hell which gives me great confidence when modulating my playing. The tone and volume range I'm getting now is just amazing!

I have not broken a nail since so have not needed another fake tip. I just go to the salon every two and a half weeks for a fill. It takes ten minutes and costs $5 plus tip.

As far as some men's discomfort with going to a nail salon, I say the hell with that! The salon is happy to have the business, and men go to the salon all the time for manicures if not acrylics so the other women don't notice.

Of course, Anothersmith, this is not an issue for you. So, go for the tone! Go for the dynamic range! Go!!

One last thing: I had been a flatpicker for the last twenty five years. When I decided to commit to fingerstyle about a year ago, I forced myself to use a thumbpick (Fred Kelly medium Delrin Slick Picks). It was awkward at first, but in about a week I was hooked. Now I'm thrilled with the whole right hand package. Now if I just had a little more talent . . .

M.

2020 PRS Silver Sky
2016 Suhr Classic Pro
2004 Petros Grand Concert
2001 Taylor 614CE LTD Tobaccoburst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell