The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-12-2003, 04:50 PM

Default travis meeks style

hi

I got into accoustic guitar again after hearing the first Days Of the New album, and have since bought the tab books for the first two albums.

I know Travis Meeks is an egomaniac but he does write some great accoustic guitar pieces.

My question for those of you up to snuff on music theory, how would you charactorize his style? He uses about every tuning known to man and some that probably aren't, yet I get a consistent 'vibe' to his playing that I can't figure out. On songs like 'Where I stand' and 'Flight Response' and 'The Real' there is an "epic" for lack of a better word sound that I'm wondering how he obtains.

I like to attempt to write guitar pieces, and I do admire what he is doing and would like to figure it out, technically, so I can get that sound from my music too. If you know of what techniques he is using to get that consistent vibe (especially on the songs above) please let me know.

Thanks in advance dudes!
Old 04-13-2003, 10:26 PM

If you like Days of the New, check out Tantric. Travis Meeks didn't actually write most of the stuff on the first album, nor did he do most of the playing, he just took the rights to all the songs and then fired the rest of the band after the supporting tour because he's a real jerk and is extremely arrogant. The band found a new singer and a backup guitarist and became Tantric while Travis went on to hire a new band for his second Days of the New album. I'm glad to see Tantric doing better than Days of the New ever did and Tantric's second album should be out in a couple months. Still good stuff from both bands though. Many people think of the two bands as the second generation of Alice In Chains.

- Dave
1999 Yamaha FG-402
Unknown Applause AE-32
1998 PRS Custom 24
Washburn Dimebag Culprit (won it)

Last edited by DaveM; 04-13-2003 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:18 PM

welcome to the forum swarm...the days of the new stuff is awesome...travis can play...saw him a couple years back...he just goes into a trance when hes playing...i dont think i ever saw him look at his hands...

the only song i can play is "shelf in the room"...that one took me almost two hours to figure the whole thing out...he definitely writes some interesting stuff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell