The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-15-2003, 06:58 PM

Default fingerpickiing problem - split thumbnail

My right thumbnail has developed a recurring split straight down the center (perpendicular to the edge of the nail). I keep fixing it with superglue, but it still catches from time to time when I fingerpick.

Does anyone know if a silk wrap or acrylic tip (or anything else) can fix this problem? I've never had any of those things done, so I'm kind of clueless about what's involved.

I don't want to resort to a thumbpick,because I hold the guitar classical style and the pick will strike the strings at an awkward angle.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:16 PM

Had a problem with spilt nails on my fretting hand years ago. Tried Sally Hansen, Tuff-Nails, superglue, etc. After several months I finally went to the doc's. He used some kind-a epoxy like goop, and said it was a vitamin problem. Started taking LOTS of vitamins and problem cleared up in about a month.

I believe it was vitamin E that was the issue. I remember rubbing the nails with the liquid Vit-E.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:22 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:53 PM

I work construction so this happens to me all the time! If it's not my thumb nail it's one of the others. There are several things I do depending on the location and severity of the crack.

1) wash you hands with soap and water and rinse thoroughly to get the crack clean and then dry.

2) for minor (and some major) cracks, I use "Fix-A-Nail Brush On Glue made by Professional Solutions Nail Care. I get it from Walgreens Pharmacy. It's like superglue but extremly strong. After the glue dries - which is pretty quickly - I polish with 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper from the auto parts store
I've been able to fix some pretty horrendous split nails which have held up to finger picking and strumming during an entire 3 hour gig.

3) in the event of an extremely bad and unreparable split or break, I trim and file the nail until no break is visible and then use an Alaska pick or other finger pick which I've trimed to the right length and shape until my nail grows back.

4) To help prevent cracking I apply two coats of Nutra Nail Maximum Strength nail strengthener - also available at Walgreens - to my nails. Since I started using it, I've reduced nail splits and breakages by over 50% (non scientific study).

I've also tried some of the other nail repair products which had everything including fine mesh to add support but did not have very good results.

Let me know if this helped you at all - Good Luck

Folkman
Old 03-15-2003, 07:57 PM

That's very helpful information, Folkman! I think I'll try your fix-it solution and also start taking multivitamins, as Plexiprs suggested. I hadn't thought of using fine sandpaper after the glue; I've just used a diamond nail file, and it hasn't given me a very satisfactory result.

P.S. When you apply the glue, do you put anything on the underside of your nail to prevent the glue from adhering to the skin under your nail?
Old 03-15-2003, 08:21 PM

Folkman,

I'm off to Walgreens.

One of the reasons (among many) I quit playing classical was because I could just never handle the nail issue. Really bad, ill formed, brittle nails, no matter what I ate, snorted, applied, or rubbed into my belly button. I've tried it all in 40 years.

But my classical is calling me again...maybe I'll try that stuff.

Have a great day.
-grm
Old 03-15-2003, 10:19 PM

I'm unsure why a thumbpick would create an awkward position. I hold the guitar classically, as does Doyle Dykes at times, and I find thumbpicks to be an absolute necessity when playing guitar. If the other suggestions don't seem to work I would try practicing with a thumbpick for a few weeks to see if you can get used to it. Theres no way getting around it feeling awkward in the beginning since you are changing the way you strike the strings somewhat significantly, but my opinion is that you would not find it any harder to play classically with a thumbpick as you would without one, so long as you devoted enough time to get used to the change.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:14 AM

Jazz, do you use the typical thumbpick that's shaped kind of like the letter "P" or an alaska-style pick?
Old 03-16-2003, 04:06 AM

I gave up and started going to a nail salon to have my three fingers overlayed with acrylic. I've been doing that for about four months now and so far it has solved my fingernail problems. I use a thumb pick so the thumb nail is not an issue for me. Good luck Sandy, I know how aggrevating it can be!

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 03-16-2003, 10:27 AM

I split my thumb nail several months ago and bought a nail repair kit from Savarez (the people who make classical guitar strings). I have to say, it worked extremely well- you get a whole load of silk which you just cut off and place on your thumb nail, then soak it with the supplied super glue. I found I had to do this about 3 times. In my case I only had to place the silk over the split, still keeping most of my nail to pluck with. I don't know how strong it would be if the silk was the actual nail. However, I did find that the resulting tone was quite pleasant- quite mellow, like flatpicking with the "wrong" corner of a plectrum.

The repair kit though was an absolute life saver as it suported my split nail until it eventually grew long eonough for me to remove (which was about 2 months!)

Rob
Patrick Eggle New York Broadway
Old 03-16-2003, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by anothersmith
Jazz, do you use the typical thumbpick that's shaped kind of like the letter "P" or an alaska-style pick?
I use the Fred Kelly Speed Pick (http://www.fredkellyspicks.com/).
Old 03-16-2003, 11:43 PM

When I am not using the side of my thumb I use the Fred Kelly Speed pick also. I thing it is great. A better mouse trap maybe or at least another mouse trap.
Midnight Shadow
Old 03-17-2003, 01:22 PM

I swear by the Nutra Nail Maximum Strength nail strengthener (get mine at Walmart). I was beating my nails to death but since I started using it, I haven't had any nail problems at all. Its not as high gloss as nail polish but it does make the nails shine more than I'd like. Small price to pay though.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:33 PM

Hey, Jazzinthebox and Midnight Shadow - I checked out the Fred Kelly website and it looks like the speed pick might work for me. Do you use the light, medium, or heavy pick? (I tried to e-mail you directly but had server problems.)

I play mainly folk and acoustic blues, if that makes a difference.

Sandy
Old 03-17-2003, 11:57 PM

Fred Kelly thumb pick is the one Doyle uses. They work well on the upstroke also which is kinda nice (if I could just master that move). Doyle played at a Taylor show locally and when I asked about his thumbpick, he gave it to me. Nice person, superhuman picker.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell