The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I also would go with the Guild, but, not knowing the age of your son and being of a younger generation, he would probably much prefer a new Martin. If you let him try both guitars he would tell you which one he prefers.
Make sure the kid wears a blindfold.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 PM

Yeah, let him chose.

Years ago I took my son (in middle school at the time) out. He was already an outstanding player. In what we looked at I would have gotten him a Guild D-25. He did not care for it at all. He ended up choosing a Martin D-35. Which was also a good choice in my mind.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 08-27-2019, 08:24 PM

I’m the OP. My son is turning 21. He took guitar lessons years ago and did very well. He then switched to drums and played through high school. He sold the drums prior to starting college, as he was entering an honors engineering program and felt he would not have time to devote to a musical hobby.

As he begins his senior year he wants to take up guitar again. I think he got the bug from his childhood friend who goes to Berkley and is a singer songwriter.

My son goes to school in Orlando. He’s not going to find these guitars locally. Believe me, I know what it’s like to try a number of guitars until you find the one that speaks to you. I’ve been playing for over 50 years and I have owned more than 200 high end guitars over the years. Most of them I had never heard or touched before they arrived at my door. I do my research and try to make an educated decision. In all my years, only once was I disappointed: not long after McPherson came on the market, I had one custom made for me. It’s appearance gave me chills, it was so beautiful. Until I played it. Ugh.

Anyway, I thought I’d post this thread to see what people’s experiences have been with the Martin and Guild.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:12 PM

I've gone Guild. You should too!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-27-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkleiner View Post
My son goes to school in Orlando. He’s not going to find these guitars locally.
Wait, Orlando as in Florida? That's not exactly a small town. A quick yelp search of guitar stores and Orlando came up with quite a few. https://bit.ly/2HvLfBP Aside from GC & Sam Ash I can see a bunch of mom and pop types and several with these kinds of guitars. I second the recommendations that he pick it himself.

Last edited by 619TF; 08-28-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Haven't played a Martin D-13, but owned a D-40 I bought new in 1974.

It was fantastic!!!

I only sold it 3 years later so I could buy my D-55.

Back and sides of the Guild are solid mahogany.

Martin's website doesn't even say solid or laminated, or even what in the world they are made of, it only says "Rosewood Color"

It's probably that HPL which IIRC isn't even wood.

Guild's fingerboard is real solid rosewood, Martin is a synthetic product.

If everything checks out, get the Guild!

Are you sure? I found this on Martin’s website:

“With a gorgeous glossed Sitka spruce top and siris back and sides, this solid wood Dreadnought model is a great sounding guitar at an affordable price.”
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 08-28-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Are you sure? I found this on Martin’s website:

“With a gorgeous glossed Sitka spruce top and siris back and sides, this solid wood Dreadnought model is a great sounding guitar at an affordable price.”
Good catch.
Thank you Chris.
I stand corrected.

Your quote is from the text description at the top of Martin's page on the D-13.
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/road-series/d-13e/

Top.jpg

Foolishly instead of reading that I immediately scrolled down to the detailed specs, thinking it would have the most detail about the woods used.

Specs.jpg

Last edited by Tico; 08-28-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
^^This is the best advice. My Dad took it upon himself to buy me a new Taylor a few years ago, and though I like it, it is not the one I would have chosen. I have always wished he would have taken me along and allowed me to choose. I will always appreciate what he did, but a guitar is personal, for what it's worth. Also, for what it's worth, I think you absolutely rock as a Dad.
Definitely what both posts have said above. Use it as a bonding experience with your son. Perhaps give him a card then go shopping! The guitar he likes will be the guitar he plays. On a personal note, my first all solid guitar was a beat up Guild D40 westerly - it sounded fantastic.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:18 AM

A lot of folks like Guild but tone is such a personal thing. We can talk about the objective facts like size, shape, bracing of a guitar but thats not what makes a guitar the right choice.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Wait, Orlando as in Florida? That's not exactly a small town. A quick yelp search of guitar stores and Orlando came up with quite a few. https://bit.ly/2HvLfBP Aside from GC & Sam Ash I can see a bunch of mom and pop types and several with these kinds of guitars. I second the recommendations that he pick it himself.
I've actually lived in Orlando for 25 years, so you can believe me when I say that there are NO "mom and pop" guitar stores in the area. Maybe over near Tampa, but not in or near Orlando. There are 2 GC's, 2 Sam Ash's, a George's Music (used to be 2, but one closed a few years ago). There's also a place north of town called "R&R Guitars". Fantastic Taylor selection there. Don't recall seeing any Martins or Guilds though. The GC in Winter Park is your best bet as far as selection of used guitars.

Oh, I forgot, there's a guitar store in the tourist area on International Drive. Went there once. As far as I can tell, everything they sell there is at full retail. They cater to tourists from out of the country with a lot of money.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkleiner View Post
Hello, all:

Recently, I posted a thread about choosing a guitar for my son in the $800 range. A lot of helpful advice was given.

Since then, I have upped my budget to the $1K range. I have narrowed the choices to a new Martin D13 or a used Guild D40. They are not a perfect apple to apple comparison, but they are close enough.

Has anyone had to opportunity to try both?

Thank you.
Have you played these two models? I have only tried a few Guilds, and perhaps those were special, but each one had a big fat "baseball bat" neck, which I hate. The Martin on the other hand has a slim neck that I love.

Those things are more important than subtleties of sound in my opinion, especially at that price range.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-28-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz1 View Post
I've actually lived in Orlando for 25 years, so you can believe me when I say that there are NO "mom and pop" guitar stores in the area. Maybe over near Tampa, but not in or near Orlando. There are 2 GC's, 2 Sam Ash's, a George's Music (used to be 2, but one closed a few years ago). There's also a place north of town called "R&R Guitars". Fantastic Taylor selection there. Don't recall seeing any Martins or Guilds though. The GC in Winter Park is your best bet as far as selection of used guitars.

Oh, I forgot, there's a guitar store in the tourist area on International Drive. Went there once. As far as I can tell, everything they sell there is at full retail. They cater to tourists from out of the country with a lot of money.
I suppose since you live there you'd know. I just ran a yelp search and provided the results here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion