The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2019, 03:14 PM

Played it some today outside where i could really let loose. For sure it holds up better under my heavy hand with the 13s. But i think i really liked the 12s overall, so i'm just going to go back to them after a few weeks. Also, i want to stick with a set that i can easily pick up at a local store at a moment's notice. The Martin retros in 12's seem to be widely available. No sense it making it complicated.

Also, now that my guitar lessons have started and i'm playing mostly quietly at home, it'll be more enjoyable with the lighter set.

Last edited by Mr.Woody; 03-14-2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:59 PM

I generally use Martin Retro lights on my J-45, beefing up the b string to a 17 and the e to a 13.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:09 PM

I didn't get to read all the replies, but your observations go along with what happens when you move up a full gauge. I don't have time to make a full response, but try this...

Just for giggles, put the old LOW E back on with the rest of the 13 set and see what happens.

The thicker upper strings will tame shrillness, but heavier lower strings will lose a lot of resultant harmonics that the low E excites in the other strings. If partially successful you may want to test Santa Cruz strings or Elixir HD lights that have that that light low E but 13/17 1st and 2nd string.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-27-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I didn't get to read all the replies, but your observations go along with what happens when you move up a full gauge. I don't have time to make a full response, but try this...

Just for giggles, put the old LOW E back on with the rest of the 13 set and see what happens.

The thicker upper strings will tame shrillness, but heavier lower strings will lose a lot of resultant harmonics that the low E excites in the other strings. If partially successful you may want to test Santa Cruz strings or Elixir HD lights that have that that light low E but 13/17 1st and 2nd string.
In case you missed my post:

I had both lights and Mediums on my J45 but found that the Martin MA543 light/mediums were the perfect compromise.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I find that using a 13 and a 17 sounds better on the E and B.
Agreed!

I string my '50 J45, 2011 Fairbanks Original Jumbo, and 00-42 12 fret this way. I like the tension and tone it brings out in those guitars.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:44 AM

OP here. Just re-opening this question and searching for input.

I was thinking about this topic last night. Shortly after creating this thread, I ended up going back to 12's and have been happy with them. The guitar is super resonant and responsive, and I don't know that I would have reason to go back to using 13's.

My question is this: Why would someone want those characteristics I mentioned in the first post? I mean, the person who encouraged me to use 13's is a J-45 fanatic and he was adamant that 13's are the way to go, so obviously something about that sound/feel drew him to that conclusion.

Again, those characteristics were:
  • It's quieter
  • it's less lively and less responsive
  • it's less boomy with a tighter lower end
  • More direct / dry / fundamental sounding
  • Cleaner sounding / fewer stray notes ringing out
  • more compressed / less open sounding

Maybe it would be better in a studio setting like that?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
OP here. Just re-opening this question and searching for input.

I was thinking about this topic last night. Shortly after creating this thread, I ended up going back to 12's and have been happy with them. The guitar is super resonant and responsive, and I don't know that I would have reason to go back to using 13's.

My question is this: Why would someone want those characteristics I mentioned in the first post? I mean, the person who encouraged me to use 13's is a J-45 fanatic and he was adamant that 13's are the way to go, so obviously something about that sound/feel drew him to that conclusion.

Again, those characteristics were:
  • It's quieter
  • it's less lively and less responsive
  • it's less boomy with a tighter lower end
  • More direct / dry / fundamental sounding
  • Cleaner sounding / fewer stray notes ringing out
  • more compressed / less open sounding

Maybe it would be better in a studio setting like that?
To be fair your experience with 13's on your 45 is your experience and opinion, I have 13's on my all hog 45 and it's like night and day for me, 12's just don't have the oomph, 13's make it a totally different beast!

I don't think i'll ever go back to 12's..
Old 03-15-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
To be fair your experience with 13's on your 45 is your experience and opinion, I have 13's on my all hog 45 and it's like night and day for me, 12's just don't have the oomph, 13's make it a totally different beast!

I don't think i'll ever go back to 12's..
Very cool. So, how would you describe the differences for you between those, besides extra "oomph"?
Old 03-15-2021, 12:00 PM

I don't have a J45, I've got an Eastman equivalent in the E10SS/v. On my guitar, even the switch from 12s to the Bluegrass gauge 12-56 produced a significant dampening effect on the sound. So much so, that I was considering moving the guitar on, thinking I was not fond of its sound. I ultimately went back to PB 12's and got back what I had lost and am very happy with the guitar. Turns out they were not for me, or not on that guitar at least. I'd certainly be willing to try them again, but I was looking for more (sound/dynamics) and got less so caveat emptor.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:21 PM

One more time, why don’t you give the Martin MA 543 a try. Tension is between a 12 and a 13.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:51 PM

The description and experience Mr. Woody related regarding those strings was pretty similar to mine. I didn’t like it.
I went back to the 12-53 ...80-20’s quite a while back.
Now it sounds exactly like the guitar I liked and bought.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 03-15-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I had both lights and Mediums on my J45 but found that the Martin MA543 light/mediums were the perfect compromise.

Any time I've used these M/L Martin string gauges I've really liked them. I've grown partial to using mostly Ernie Ball strings, and wish their M/L set was closer to Martin's M/L.

I think they're a near perfectly gauged set of stings (in addition to being just........good strings).
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 03-15-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
One more time, why don’t you give the Martin MA 543 a try. Tension is between a 12 and a 13.
I'm happy staying with the strings i'm using, I'm just trying to get info on why people would want those characteristics of moving up in gauge. Or what context would those be better suited to?

Using the 12's in the Monels, mine is super lively and responsive with a large low-end and pleasant highs. They don't crap out when I strum either, which is nice.

After 1.5 years on the same set:

Old 03-15-2021, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I have 13-56 on my AJ and it seems to love it.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-15-2021, 01:49 PM

Sounds great and the performance was fun to watch and listen to.
I have to say I can get that tone out of my J45 Standard just muting with my hand.
I’m a picker tho’

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion